ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

In general this is a nice update.

I like the new modules, even though I won't need them myself, but why oh why don't you implement an expandable software system for our ship's computer. This has been proposed by many players, me included. Now you are messing around with even more small slots. This is so messy and sloppy, it makes me cringe.

This is totally unnecessary if you implement a software upgrade system for our ships. This will make these kinds of additions to the game much simpler, much cleaner, much neater and more systematic. FDev, the way you approach this really makes me sad.
I predict that in the future will have to add more small slots for stuff like this, like I predicted what you announced today long ago too.

Please explain. I don't see what a "ship software upgrade" has to do with modules.

Why would a fighter ship need a fuel scoop instead of say a module reinforcement? I don't think you get the concept of loadout as part of the gameplay.
I think this particular Cmdr knows perfectly well the concept of fighting ship loadouts. I believe he is a top class PvP'er.

Problem is that the whole optional module thing got very silly, especially if you take stacking of defensive modules into account. Frontier believes they are adding complexity by limiting choice, the same is true when you look at limpets. In reality it's just a convoluted system that stopped making sense in 2015.

I don't have any issues with the optional module system they have in place. I don't understand why you do.

We want these new modules to help those who struggle with that area of the game.

Ideally, all players would be able to navigate Supercruise and Dock/Undock manually, but we have identified that some players struggle with this. The balance for this is that by using these assist modules, you will lose out on the optional internal slots they take up.
Suggestion: Make the two new module prices added together equal just enough CR to unlock Mostly Penniless so that experienced players that choose to save wipe can leave the start system immediately if preferred while keeping all the other Class E loan equipment so the starter Sidewinder is still flyable.

Edit: Oh wait, free money to buy a shiny new club to gank seals with. Bad idea!

Last edited:
Problem is that the whole optional module thing got very silly, especially if you take stacking of defensive modules into account. Frontier believes they are adding complexity by limiting choice, the same is true when you look at limpets. In reality it's just a convoluted system that stopped making sense in 2015.

Surely its just customisation, I sort of get module creep concern ie where does it end, but if its still optional it ultimately creates gameplay variety and these are just small slots so not making a big difference. For example filling module slots increases mass so its not like it has no consequence. I would like to see more ship type specific modules though, like the miltary slots.

Вы издеваетесь.... Это Elite Dangerous! Хочу планеты с гравитацией за 30 g , выпрыгивать из прыжка в корону звезды или сразу в джет нейтронки, гравитационные аномали или на крайняк раздавленный корабль в ЧД. Молчу уже про метеоритные потоки и вываливания посреди прыжка , как и саму систему прыжков .
Russian salt? You forgot to mention random unexplained deaths.

But what if I don't want to start in a beginner system and just want to be chuck out into the big wild, dangerous galaxy? Is that possible?

There's nothing stopping you. It appears to be simply a starting point and starting "condition", which you can immediately move on from. I think the point is that once you make your first rank of any type, you no longer have access to those permitted systems, and you can sell of the "training wheels" modules as you see fit.

I don't have any issues with the optional module system they have in place. I don't understand why you do.
Currently you’re limited by jump range on a fresh start and only when you upgrade the FSD are you able to escape the starter systems. I’d imagine this will still be the case.

New Modules

Advanced Docking Computer
We're adding an upgraded version of the original Docking Computer, a module designed to allow Commanders to relax, let go of their flight sticks and automatically dock in stations to the serene strings of Johann Strauss II.​
The Advanced Docking Computer will not only allow you to dock, but also allow you to automatically undock from a station without anxiously worrying about getting stuck inside the mail slot. Let's face it, it will also help with those embarrassing Type-10 spoiler moments!​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased small ships. If you're starting up a new account, you will find the Advanced Docking Computer in your ship from the get-go - making it easier for you to embark and disembark from your favourite stations without colliding with the walls, landing pads or your fellow Commanders.​

Supercruise Assist
Available at your nearest starship department store (i.e. Outfitting) comes the new Supercruise Assist module. While in Supercruise, you'll be able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!​
With the the Supercruise Assist, you will also be able to enter into orbit around a body - allowing you to launch discovery probes and take screenshots without the fear of face-planting the dusty, rocky ground.​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased ships.​

Free module slots for everyone!

With the introduction of these new modules, small ships will be outfitted with two additional size one Optional Internal slots, while medium and large ships will also receive one additional Optional Internal slot. This will automatically and retroactively apply to all relevant ships.

Okay...

Instead of messing around with general ship balance by adding two new optional slots to every small ship and one to all the others can you not do what you did with the ADS and add them as 'hidden' slots and just give those modules to everyone and refunding anyone who bought a docking computer.

If they are so critical you think every new player should have them then I strongly suggest you just give these to everyone all the time and have done.

Module bay filling docking computers never made much sense to begin with and we've ended up having to have some magical auto-pilot capability in the ship for SRV stuff so lets just fold all that together now.

Add a couple of auto-pilot controls in the new ships panel and have them on by default - this seems like a great and sensible addition there.

These systems will be visible in the Galaxy Map.

This is a new, additional module, separate from the existing Docking Computer.

Cool, thanks for the swift clarification.

Already have a couple more questions off the top of my head, though:

Will these new systems then perhaps be visitable by veteran players in Solo mode, for purposes of sightseeing and "I've been here" facetiousness? (I presume you want to avoid anybody fiddling with minor factions & BGS, though so...hmm.)

What would happen if someone, for some reason, put both the existing Docking Computer and the new Advanced Docking Computer on the same ship? Simple precedence of Advanced over regular, assuming both are left powered on?

I have two issues with the module system:

First, it made PvP vs PvE balancing impossible since one ship can have 20 times as much hull strength. It's just silly.

Second, having to choose between a docking computer and 5 different types of limpet controllers adds nothing to gameplay. It's actually a hindrance to gameplay.

I am not against optional modules per se, I think it makes sense to have different loadouts for traders, miners and heavy combat ships. But the system continually got worse over the last 4 years.

The modular system may appear fine if you're playing the game casually or just doing multi-role stuff, but once you start pushing the limits of it you end up with absolutely absurd discrepancies. Like engineered sidewinders with more HP than stock Cutters, thousands upon thousands of HP wrapped in perfect resistances that can eat entire ammo clips and force synthesis and 15+ minutes of constant fire just to end an engagement.

The net result is an ecosystem in which casual players and engineered "try-hard" players are practically playing different games entirely, but to each other's detriment. I am 100% convinced this is the biggest underlying cause of all the "oh no, ganking!" kerfuffle that constantly surrounds Elite; badly built ships are so far below well built ships even before engineering that people can die instantaneously without even knowing what happened to them, while higher level players can literally go AFK during a fight to take a dump and come back to find their shields still up. It's unworkable and unhealthy.

Even if you don't care about PvP, take a look at the trajectory for NPC health-bloat currently - try to participate in a CZ with stock guns... or in a small ship. Kiss goodbye to a good chunk of your time and say hello to repetitive strain injury.

Last edited:
Please explain. I don't see what a "ship software upgrade" has to do with modules.

Very simple. In a game like this the autopilot modules could be software upgrades to our ship's computer. You would not need all these little slots to add all these piloting functions to your ship. Instead you simply expand the abilities of your ship's AI with software modules you buy at a software dealer who can be found in certain stations.
All kinds of options could be added to the ship this way. This would be a future proof way of doing this, because it is infinitely expandable without messing up the ship lay out with all these numerous little slots.

It is not difficult to predict future slot creep the way FDev is going with this at the moment. Changing certain appropriate modules into software upgrades will solve the problem.
It will do more good stuff than that for the game though, but I talked about that elsewhere, long ago, several times. I warned Fdev about this.
Same thing with the limpet creep. I Warned about that long ago too, and I am not the only one. Similar problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom