ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

What a disaster thid future update will be. The Beginners zone must be on raxxla or thargoid space, that or some systems will magically appear on the bubble... Lame idea, I understand noob protection (we all were noobs once) but call it "simulated space" or wathever. Supercruise assist, its too much I would love some module that enhanced supercruise performance (I loop of shame a lot) but still it seems too much like easy mode. I have been a gamer since the spectrum and every game I played also starts to go down when the devs start adding easy modes to get new players, ED as all the marks of starting such a procesd: No big update for over a year, ludicrous bug report policies, new player friendly no matter what and Frontier is developing a new IP, as I said I have seen variations of this over and over.

Betting I find a way into the new player zone in the first few hours...

While I wouldn't rule out other methods, depending on how they lock out the systems, I'm betting you've already figured out the path of least resistance is a fresh CMDR.

You'll also be unstoppable with all those HRPs in your Sidewinder.

On PS4, less than half the players ever upgrade from a Sidewinder. That suggests they get frustrated and quit before learning how to fly "gud". I'm sure Stephen Curry and his wife and shoot 3-pointers all day, but that doesn't mean everyone is gifted like this. So don't take this wrong (I like you, you're my shadow guy), but I'm guessing Frontier is more interested in helping the 52% of players who really struggle to learn the game than they are you and your gifted wife, especially since these "training wheels" are optional.

I'm not sure those that quit are quitting because they find docking difficult or are struggling to learn the game. Elite, no matter how many docking/travel/combat/chat computers they add, will always be relatively niche and cannot appeal to everyone.

That they are optional only exacerbates the issues I see with them. Not only can those who will abuse automation do so more easily with the new modules, the fact that they can be omitted in favor of more internals exacerbates numerous balance issues, most notably TTK inflation. All of my ships are getting more hull integrity and hull resistances, some significantly more.

As for planes, I like flying WW2 fighters which don't have autopilots. For boats, I like WW2 submarines, which don't have autopilots.
ED used to have a 'WW2 planes in space' vibe to it, but aside from combat it's not that way any more. Too much focus on results and not enough on experience.
None of your ships need to have autopilots, either. THEY ARE OPTIONAL.

You are someone who campaigned to get the ADS back based on, "My gameplay doesn't affect you", yet here you are rage-quitting for the very thing you yourself wanted, the ability for players using an optional module that lets them play the game their way. The hypocrisy is palatable.

Honestly my first impression of this is not good, making the game easier and accessible is horrible.

I wholeheartedly disagree. While autopilot is totally on the bottom of my list (along with space legs), my only problem with it is, that I'd hoped the effort would have gone into something else. Such as fixing C&P or some other horribly broken game mechanic.

Making the game more accessible is a good thing, as fresh blood (and money) is what keeps the game alive and under development. I've tried introducing a lot of friends and colleagues to Elite, and for most, the learning curve puts them off. Personally, I don't mind a bit of a challenge, but as someone not completely foreign to game development and design, I have a strong opinion about games having to stand on their own feet. And admit it, forums, chats and YouTube are instrumental to learning Elite, because a lot of the information simply is not there in-game. I played on and off for two years without making much progress, until I joined a player group and started reading/watching "external" material. Whether you like it or not, the majority of players do not want to join a group, they want brief moments of entertainment and escapism, no strings attached.

But in all honesty, no amount of in-game introductions, tutorials and hand-holding will fix the mess Open is. That would take changes to game mechanics, incentives, C&P and attitude (starting with FD's own attitude to what's desirable or acceptable in the community). Perhaps they will introduce "featured" or "recommended" Squadrons and/or PGs and in other ways lead new players to greener pastures, but this will all be just lipstick on a pig until the fundamental problems are addressed.

This is great, cars these days can park and drive thenseives and soon take you to destinations. So it makes sense in the future Spaceships will have similar automated controls. Now I can use this time to take a bathroom break or get a snack while traveling through the Universe. Those that still use flip phones can always decline to use or buy these conveniences.
Thanks Frontier, my bladder and stomach are happy...lol

Last edited:
On PS4, less than half the players ever upgrade from a Sidewinder. That suggests they get frustrated and quit before learning how to fly "gud". I'm sure Stephen Curry and his wife and shoot 3-pointers all day, but that doesn't mean everyone is gifted like this. So don't take this wrong (I like you, you're my shadow guy), but I'm guessing Frontier is more interested in helping the 52% of players who really struggle to learn the game than they are you and your gifted wife, especially since these "training wheels" are optional.
If thats all it takes to frustrate people out of playing no amount of training wheels are gonna keep them around. Make the game fun first, then do the accessibility stuff.

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
Hello folks,

Just wanted to address some of the concerns regarding botting raised in this thread. Firstly, we want to make it extremely clear that we do not tolerate botting, client manipulation or cheating and that doing so violates the EULA and Terms of Use agreed to when signing up for a Frontier account.

While we will not go into details regarding individual botting reports, we can confirm that we do investigate all reports thoroughly and take action against accounts that are found to be breaking the Terms of Use.

We'd like to assure you that we take each and every bot report very seriously and that we appreciate your continued reports and vigilance, helping to keep Elite Dangerous a fair and inclusive game.

The newbie systems while they don't make much sense lore wise why pilots can't go back to them, I can see why we need them at this point. However, please reconsider the supercruise assist and advanced docking modules FD. If you must keep them, why not make them like the starter system collection and only have them work until your first rank up. The way it is now people will never have to learn skills that fundamental to the game, undocking and timing super cruise deceleration. This is starting to cross the line into excessive hand holding for new players.

Deleted member 110222

D
The newbie systems while they don't make much sense lore wise why pilots can't go back to them, I can see why we need them at this point. However, please reconsider the supercruise assist and advanced docking modules FD. If you must keep them, why not make them like the starter system collection and only have them work until your first rank up. The way it is now people will never have to learn skills that fundamental to the game, undocking and timing super cruise deceleration. This is starting to cross the line into excessive hand holding for new players.
O
P
T
I
O
N
A
L

Deleted member 110222

D
So it's like pension funds then! 😂
However you think about, fact is, whether you like it or not, you depend on other players to keep FD considering this a worthwhile product, so you can get that precious development you crave so much.

Looking at your sig', I see there's content that you want to see.

That content won't happen if new sales dry up.

Choose.

It's fine to have new modules when I can also have new gameplay. Lots of players asked more engaging gameplay during long space journeys... Automatic pilot IS NOT new gameplay... Is new PLACEHOLDER
I don't disagree, been waiting since gold release for betterment of SC.
IMHO that doesn't mean this shouldn't be introduced.

You'll also be unstoppable with all those HRPs in your Sidewinder.
I'm not sure those that quit are quitting because they find docking difficult or are struggling to learn the game. Elite, no matter how many docking/travel/combat/chat computers they add, will always be relatively niche and cannot appeal to everyone.
You'll see two new threads of mine today in DD that prove I get where you are coming from. However, there's niche and then there's niche. Frontier can't niche themselves out of business, otherwise there will be no ED for us to play (we depend on servers, after all). If providing training wheels for new players helps keep those players around long enough to learn the ropes, then I don't see this as a bad thing.

As for how they are doing it, I totally agree with the "module slot bloat" issue. Frontier really needs to separate software from empty space inside the ship from armor slots on our hull. They can learn alot from Nier: Automata regarding software slots.

ps - I'm a veteran and I'm looking forward to having these new autopilot features, especially in my larger ships. Give me an NPC crew, and I can finally be Kirk, sitting in my comfortable chair and giving orders like, "Take us out, Mr. Sulu."

pps - why am I white-knighting here all by myself? Where is my support??

Top Bottom