ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

You obviously haven't started the different grinds yet. Rank grinds, weapon grinds, faction grinds, alien tech grinds, credit grinds and more....

I sure have. Just finished unlocking all the engineers (except the ones 20000+ Ly away...those I'll do later) and applying engineering to the 9 ships that I own so far, which I didn't do seriously until after I hit a billion credits. Have Elite in Trading already, working on exploration and combat still and do still need to grind more Empire and Federation ranks, but I'm over halfway through both. Do need to even figure out the alien tech stuff too.

Not sure what you're point is though. Having "stuff to do" is a good thing. What you call "grind" I call a reason to login every day.

now do I start again ???????

In case that was a genuine question: no, you dont start all over again after each update. You always have the option to do so if you wish by re-setting your account in the main menu if you want to check the 'beginner areas', but you can just keep on playing like most of us do if you prefer.

New systems for new players is pointless. Games been out for how long and we wanna start this stupid stuff now? Stop wasting ours and your time and actually improve the game, not add more nonsense
like this is why the player base has dropped

I don't know how I feel about this one. I don't want the whole game to become auto pilot. Part of the fun was mastering these things, and now it sounds as if they are being phased out and elite is putting training wheels on. I love all the updates we've seen so far though so here's hoping it's not as bad as I fear.

I sure have. Just finished unlocking all the engineers (except the ones 20000+ Ly away...those I'll do later) and applying engineering to the 9 ships that I own so far, which I didn't do seriously until after I hit a billion credits. Have Elite in Trading already, working on exploration and combat still and do still need to grind more Empire and Federation ranks, but I'm over halfway through both. Do need to even figure out the alien tech stuff too.

Not sure what you're point is though. Having "stuff to do" is a good thing. What you call "grind" I call a reason to login every day.

Well, my meaning was towards the lack of options when doing those tasks. For exampls, I was able to get my exploration Elite by doing road to riches, it gave me the option to experience new bodies while earning money and rank at the same time. It was my best experience, every other thing I did to rank up seemed grindy. Another is blowing up asteroids, getting cargo, ranking on trading and making credits. Not all rank ups have such engaging options.

Interstellar Initiatives

Our name for the previously announced 'Community Events'. These are series of in-game events that play out over the course of around a month. Each one features several phases that will alter as the narrative progresses, and may end with lasting effects on the galaxy. We'll be delving deeper into these in just a couple of weeks.

This sounds very interesting.
I would like to learn more.

CreativeGroundedErin-max-1mb.gif

Maybe we could have an option to start out in Colonia?
I'd like to try that for a change, though it's probably not for beginners.

New Modules

Advanced Docking Computer
We're adding an upgraded version of the original Docking Computer, a module designed to allow Commanders to relax, let go of their flight sticks and automatically dock in stations to the serene strings of Johann Strauss II.​
The Advanced Docking Computer will not only allow you to dock, but also allow you to automatically undock from a station without anxiously worrying about getting stuck inside the mail slot. Let's face it, it will also help with those embarrassing Type-10 spoiler moments!​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased small ships. If you're starting up a new account, you will find the Advanced Docking Computer in your ship from the get-go - making it easier for you to embark and disembark from your favourite stations without colliding with the walls, landing pads or your fellow Commanders.​

Supercruise Assist
Available at your nearest starship department store (i.e. Outfitting) comes the new Supercruise Assist module. While in Supercruise, you'll be able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship will automatically maintain the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and break out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!​
With the the Supercruise Assist, you will also be able to enter into orbit around a body - allowing you to launch discovery probes and take screenshots without the fear of face-planting the dusty, rocky ground.​
This module will also come as standard in all newly-purchased ships.​

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Well, my meaning was towards the lack of options when doing those tasks. For exampls, I was able to get my exploration Elite by doing road to riches, it gave me the option to experience new bodies while earning money and rank at the same time. It was my best experience, every other thing I did to rank up seemed grindy. Another is blowing up asteroids, getting cargo, ranking on trading and making credits. Not all rank ups have such engaging options.
My experience has been the opposite...I have so many different options that it is overwhelming at times.
Perhaps the problem is you look at things from the perspective where you feel you must pursue your goals by following the "optimum" way of doing it. This game is, in my mind, a sandbox game....thinking in terms of "optimal" and "most efficient" is just the wrong way to approach it and bound to lead to disappointment imo.
I respect your right to completely disagree and see things differently though.

If this thread did something well it was highlighting the fundamental schism in the player base. There are people who approach the game as something to be mastered and a challenge to be overcome, and there are people who approach the game as an opportunity for escapism and relaxation. If you think about it, pretty much every issue that divides the player base runs down these lines. Frontier has to balance the game around these different playing styles.

"Oh but people won't master the system if we give them tools to automate things!"

Well the only one who is concerned about other people mastering the system is you. They certainly don't care if they "mastered" the system or not, it's not why they play.

The same applies to concerns of making the game "too accessible" or "too noob friendly". If these are all things that people can opt-in, then in what way does it affect your game? My working theory is because you're not concerned about the game itself, but rather how people outside perceive the game, and by extension, you. You want people to believe you mastered a hardcore simulator where nothing comes easy, and making the game more accessible dilutes that perception.

How does other people easy mode affects my game ? Even in Solo mode there are BGS and Poweplay running and they are affected a lot by player actions and they do affect the game a good deal. And if I am an "Elitist " that wants to be challenged by games and brag about playing a game "not for everybody" casual players that choose ED honestly do it so that they can also brag about the same and do it in easy mode, there are tons of less "intensive" and newb friend games out there but that is the soft part of the problem. ED as it is has a great number of ppl exploiting it mechanics while fdev does nothing, after this those ppl will be in their version of roxxala.

Last edited:
Top Bottom