ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

It’s a limitation of the game engine — NPCs have extremely little state preserved beyond a player’s instance.

I’m sure FDEV would love NPCs to behave more realistically in this respect; that they have not (yet?) done so indicates that it is very difficult to implement, alas.
This seems to be the standard response to quite a few issues, engine limits, yet i cannot find official word that this is so.

How will the changes to the community challenges affect the "Working together" and "A real team player" trophies/achievements for partaking in 1 and 10 successful community challenges respectively? Will we get 1 notch towards the 10 for each successful 'stage' of an event i.e. multiple notches during each event, or will we have to complete 10 of them wholely and thereby the entire process will take ~10 months?

I'd really appreciate a reply. Thanks.

this PS4 Trophy seems to be well broken. I've done far more that 10 CGs, and not received this

end of july, maybe after the Enclave
So August then as enclave is meant to take 4 weeks being an II event that wont start till july with is still 9 days yet.. ... and that would make more sence as August would be 4 months after the april release then the last patch for the year would be in December again another 4 months later...
The II could start 4th of july on thursay as its not a holiday in the UK then end 4 weeks later on july the 31st...
Having an alliance civil war start on 4th of july would be topical ...

Last edited:
Directly from the Newsletter:

I'm only moderately stupid, but I still can't figure out the difference between CGs and Interstellar Initiatives. Can someone please help a dummy out?
At the moment, the different seems to be that Frontier-authored content goes in the Initiatives, which last a few weeks. CGs are player-submitted events that don't impact the larger story, just build stations and whatnot for various player factions over the course of a single week.

What do you mean by "goes in the initiatives"?
He means the Interstellar initiatives aka the II...
Fdev are nolonger doing single event community goals that last a week and then instantly change to another faction or back story, only the Player created CGs are going to be run as stand alone single week events...
Galnet News will never set up a single week CG event ever again as long as the II's are running...

Instead you will have II's which will contain a back story via galnet that can back up that back story to last for 3-4 weeks with another post each week continuing the same story arc so that each CG links from week 1 to week 2 to week 3 to week 4 in the same weak story arc..

The same powers factions groups will likely be involved for the hole 4 week run... but for this next II they said there would be NO spoilers for weeks 2 - 4 of the II..
This time no forum posts jumping a head in plot line.. The last II was spoiled a to allow people to get a head start to configure the single ship to use over the two Community goals weeks that were linked to the same two factions that were fighting over the guardian space system...

Last edited:
I don’t think you get what I wrote. I said ships should have fuel scoop as a core element. I shouldn’t have to sacrifice defenses or cargo space or anything else that can go in optional slots just to accommodate a fuel scoop. It’s tedious to build a good combat ship, gimp it just to get around, and then transfer the piece I removed to accommodate the fuel scoop.

Why would a fighter ship need a fuel scoop instead of say a module reinforcement? I don't think you get the concept of loadout as part of the gameplay.

I don’t think you get what I wrote. I said ships should have fuel scoop as a core element. I shouldn’t have to sacrifice defenses or cargo space or anything else that can go in optional slots just to accommodate a fuel scoop. It’s tedious to build a good combat ship, gimp it just to get around, and then transfer the piece I removed to accommodate the fuel scoop.
I seem to remember that in 1984 (ahem) the Asp Explorer came with a built-in fuel scoop. Which, tbh, the name kind of implies it should.

I seem to remember that in 1984 (ahem) the Asp Explorer came with a built-in fuel scoop. Which, tbh, the name kind of implies it should.
are you talking lore? if so you could well be correct as it was a while back.
if you are talking in game AFAIK the only other playable ship other than the cobra III was the constrictor. (I think it was that ship) that you got in one of the secret missions - on the amiga at least - different versions had different secret missions

Hard to tell if it did or not as the Cobra III was the only playable ship until Frontier: Elite 2. At least the Cobra was the only ship available on the Spectrum.

I still have not figured out what problem the SCA is supposed to address or solve?

After five years of play, I have had no problems with super cruise.

New players. I've heard the feedback was that some more casual gamers were finding it hard to play. And struggled with the controles. So they added SCA, and Advanced docking computer. Both options are optional ;) and they still have their problems (by design) for example SCA cant fly you round obsticles, and the Advanced Docking Computer can still scrape the letterbox, causing some dammage (random)

basically its to encorage more players

For me, SCA is great for long halls. Aim at a planet, set SCA, go make tea and bicuites. By the time you get back, SCA will actually put you in Orbit mode. Wonderfull.

Personally, and I don't want to start any roumors but, I believe SCA could also be getting us ready for Cough space legs Cough - Set SCA, go walk around your ship ;)

Last edited:
I have it onboard my Explorer Clipper .... it's actually very handy .... no longer do I have to pre-press 'stop' at the next star system, it does it whether I am there or not. If I wish to visit a planet a fair distance away, it takes care of it for me while I either look at other stuff or go and do something useful around the house.

Top Bottom