ANNOUNCEMENT April Update - Coming 23 April 2019

Make SC and auto docking one module. It can take up a 2 slot. You could then sit 225,000ls from a station, initiate it, go for a kip, come back and find you’re docked in the station. Lush.

I fear spacelegs will have me unloading pallets of cargo on a fork truck. New mini-in game.

I agree completely with this. Those slots are so valuable. It really should be just one thing. But I do like the SCA because especially on long trips I'm not always paying close attention and will overshot my target quite often. The main thing is that it takes a lot of extra clicks to active (kind of like request docking... ugh). If I leave a station, I need to set my next target, jump to supercruise, then go back into navigation to set supercruise assist on. It really should be something that can be hotkeyed like chaff/ECM.

I don't have anything against the SDC or ADC - they are pretty useful for reducing travel times and allowing you to make a cup of coffee while your ship is docking. And it wouldn't really make sense if ships a millennium later wouldn't have some tasks carried out automatically. I don't get why having a docking computer triggers some people, but whatever.

As for SC, I currently don't think that it's worth my slot. It does not avoid obstacles, and pointing my ship in a direction and putting the throttle into the blue zone has the exact same outcome. The hyperspace dethrottle function is useless for me because I am using a joystick (does anyone still play with keyboard and mouse?). The only things I like about it is the orbiting function and the way it can automatically exit super cruise. But I could live without these things and make better use of my precious slots. :)

I agree completely with this. Those slots are so valuable. It really should be just one thing. But I do like the SCA because especially on long trips I'm not always paying close attention and will overshot my target quite often. The main thing is that it takes a lot of extra clicks to active (kind of like request docking... ugh). If I leave a station, I need to set my next target, jump to supercruise, then go back into navigation to set supercruise assist on. It really should be something that can be hotkeyed like chaff/ECM.
But unless you are in a big ship (for which slots may not be quite so critical) you received two extra slots - free !

Even for the Krait, the one extra slot proved handy, because now a repair unit and cargo space for the limpets is possible with my configuration ! :)

The problem with this idea is that they added slots to the ships for these modules so this suggestion would probably lead to them removing one or all of those extra slots depending on ship size.

One of the issues with SCA for me is as you have to be throttled back into the blue to use it long cruise runs take longer than just opening the throttle to full and paying attention or setting a timer for 20, 30, 60 or 90 minutes.

Last edited:
I noticed that ED had updated in Oculus yesterday. Is this a sneaky bug fix? Are there release notes?

The problem with this idea is that they added slots to the ships for these modules so this suggestion would probably lead to them removing one or all of those extra slots depending on ship size.

One of the issues with SCA for me is as you have to be throttled back into the blue to use it long cruise runs take longer than just opening the throttle to full and paying attention or setting a timer for 20, 30, 60 or 90 minutes.

I only recently came back to ED, so I wasn't aware of this. I agree with you in that case. I still would like the SCA to be on a hotkey though. ;)

Chucked a SCA on the T-9 for the recent (160KLs) Alliance trade CG...

Cruise to orbit worked well and might come in handy for exploration if it wasn't quite so close but it's not able to plot a curved course that brings you out of SC aligned with the mail slot and square with the front face of the station so I can still do a more efficient job flying the ship myself.

It's a nice FUN-ctionality upgrade, but could be better. Hope it retains some players.

I've RPed that Saud-Kruger ship come with SCA as standard (and also French COVAS). It makes them seem a bit distinctive to fly.

It really does need a hotkey though.

It makes sense you’d combine the modules. Think about driverless cars that are already around and are only set to become more common place. One part of that car is navigating the driving and the parking.

I get that some ships might lose a slot but maybe you get the option to buy a ship where it is fixed in and cant be removed or the same ship where you cant fit it later but you do get the extra slot.

Maybe for new CMDR’s it’d be like the stabilisers on a bike. Over time, as you can now, you could dabble by switching the docking part off. When you’re ready, go buy the ship with the spare slot, no stabilisers and shout into the void, “Look Ma! No module!”

Top Bottom