ANNOUNCEMENT April Update Content Reveal Livestream - Recap

So excited! It feels great to see you all implementing common-sense QOL improvements while you develop the next major update. Can’t wait to see what 2020 brings.

And I can’t wait to try the new II.

I'm so happy and excited that you are starting to interconnect more areas/mechanics/information throughout the game, a very welcome change for someone who does his best to help novice players figure these things out outside of the game. I love to see more utility coming out of the Codex, let's hope for even more later!

One thing I really hope you'll consider is reducing the number of modules by combining redundant ones and integrating a few more features as ship standard. I understand the narrative and competitive gameplay value of forcing us to choose priorities and makes sacrifices by choosing what to do with our limited space. I don't want that to go away completely. But there are way too many redundant modules that take up way more space than makes sense for the fiction and is unnecessarily limiting for the players.

Why not have one limpet controller and buy/synthesis specialized limpets to do different tasks, or if you want limpet controllers to be separate and take up a fair amount of space, then let them carry their own stock of limpets instead of taking away from overall cargo space. Or with the flight computers (docking, undocking, supercruise assist), I really don't see why they can't be integrated into the default onboard ship computers. It would be optional to use, just like the example with the hyperjump dethrottle.. but similarly if you still want the convenience to take up module space then fine, but roll all of those features into one module (maybe even make it an engineering branch where it starts with docking and you unlock the other features as you upgrade it or just a line of modules with the biggest/heaviest/most expensive having all the features).

Anyway, aside from my unsolicited advice, great job putting together this "small" update that should do quite a bit to make the game more legible and interactive for everyone, thanks! o7

Last edited:
Nice content presented very well, I really like the approach this is going to - especially with the big 2020 update in mind.

Great job Fdev ! Even if I've got over 800h in the game a lot of this new QoL stuff is great and I really think the game is heading in the right way in preparation of the new era.

Keep the good work o7

Nice stuff, especially for beginners! The presentation was also very good. Straight to the point!

Something I would wish for the NAV PANEL (since you already changed things here, maybe you can add this in the next update?):
Nav Panel

• Plotting a route will now display the number of jumps and final destination along the top of the nav panel
  • ---> please also add the amount of LY to the next destination and the total amount of LY to the final destination to this panel. Please...this would help a lot when planning a trip. :)
THANKS!!!
cheers,
myhammer

Last edited:
Question: When is the update planned?
In the announcement post it says April 23rd, and here it says
Typo, or is it delayed/postponed to April 29th?
My guess would be a typo because the new "Interstellar Initiatives" are announced for the 29 April.

I wanted to say, I like the new livestream format. Ed was good in the disheveled and by the seat of your pants release livestreams, but Will never quite clicked for me in that old format.
This time with a more structured stream and surely a lot more preparation and not so much focus on trying to interact with the chat, I was positively impressed. This actually felt professional and clearly is where Will shines as a CM, so I look forward to more of the same.

I wanted to say, I like the new livestream format. Ed was good in the disheveled and by the seat of your pants release livestreams, but Will never quite clicked for me in that old format.
This time with a more structured stream and surely a lot more preparation and not so much focus on trying to interact with the chat, I was positively impressed. This actually felt professional and clearly is where Will shines as a CM, so I look forward to more of the same.

True. This stream was very well prepared and professionnal ! Loved it !

Just watched the stream on youtube.
Nice setting, much better then the FDL background imho.

Lots of good and sensible qol updates coming, I like it, especially since you guys call this a minor? periodic update.

And there's of course the bug fixes that aren't even mentioned yet.
I'm looking forward to the 23rd and am curious about the first initiative on the 29th.

After seeing the update livestream i am generally more positive towards it.

IIs sound a lot like CGs but time will tell.

Have any provisions been made for npc fuel rats to be pressent in the game if a new player gets stranded.

If new players can come and go from the safe zone willy nilly, and there is only one zone it will only move gankers to the adjacent systems. (Solving very little.)

So long as noobs are located in a single area the gankers will be a problem.

Top Bottom