April update - reading between the lines

DeletedUser191218

D
Firstly, I'd have very much appreciated the easier entry that will await new players. It won't do any good for me now but clearly getting into the game is going to be less painful.

However, I assume Frontier have developed these additions based on new player data abd feedback. They must have noticed a worrying number of people starting the game and giving up due to finding it inaccessible. It is fairly inaccessible. I recall many "the game doesn't take you by the hand" type of pseudo-tough-love responses when I started trying to fathom out what on earth to do in the early stages. I also recall suggesting that having no guidance and sensible early transition has to be detrimental to player retention (of course I was shot down for such a heinous suggestion). It appears FDev feel similarly.

Hopefully, this means fewer players will give up early on. It's still probably frustrating for more seasoned players to see little or nothing that will improve the game for them.

Reading between the lines, I think the old docking computer will be integrated as standard, and only the advanced docking computer will be purchasable as an enhancement to standard docking capabilities.

The reason I think this is that there would be no use-case where a newcomer strapped for cash would ever consider buying a more expensive (advanced) docking computer over a cheaper (standard) docking computer.

I have the oposite view, im afraid, this makes me want to leave elite after playing since premium beta. Somes ones going to come along and slap stablaisers on my ships with out asking that i cant remove all in the name of hand holding, the very thing that drew me to the game was the lack there of. This game has become more and more hamd holdy as the years have gone by and i have taken deep breath evey time but most of the time i can igonre the changes and just hold on the memories of the good old days when elite was hard and punishing.

All the latest changes with the exploration scanner thing and the sweeping under the rug of the ballance issues and the huge wait we now have for the next season im just going to put this game down and watch from a far in hope that one day i can rekindle the love i once had for this game. Im sure i will cus it a part of my life now.

Glad it will help the noobs as i hope more people by the game as frontier deserve the money but im not happy about the direction the game has gone in.

Last edited:
I have the oposite view, im afraid, this makes me want to leave elite after playing since premium beta. Somes ones going to come along and slap stablaisers on my ships with out asking that i cant remove all in the name of hand holding, the very thing that drew me to the game was the lack there of. This game has become more and more hamd holdy as the years have gone by and i have taken deep breath evey time but most of the time i can igonre the changes and just hold on the memories of the good old days when elite was hard and punishing.

All the latest changes with the exploration scanner thing and the sweepingnunder the rug of the ballance issues and the huge wait we now have for the next season im just going to put this game down and watch from a far in hope we one day i can rekindle the love i once had for this game.

Glad it will help the noobs as i hope more people by the game as frontier deserve the money but im not happy about the direction the game has gone in.
Eh? Nobody is slapping stabilisers on your ship.
You're getting an option to buy stabilisers.
If you start from new, stabilisers are pre fitted and you can immediately remove them.

Oh.. well that makes it a bit better but the main issue i have is the direction all this points.. i do hope its not as bad as it sounds

As someone who AFKs during SCs to distant points of interest these latest changes have me pumped. I probably won't use the Advanced DC though. I like boosting out of the mail slot like a boss. But I will of course keep the Standard DC in all my ships like I do already.

I cannot wait for the SC module though.

As someone who AFKs during SCs to distant points of interest these latest changes have me pumped. I probably won't use the Advanced DC though. I like boosting out of the mail slot like a boss. But I will of course keep the Standard DC in all my ships like I do already.

I cannot wait for the SC module though.

You do realise that if the ADC is anything like the current one, once you increase the throttle the DC will automatically disengage, so you will still be able to boost out of the station to your heart's content

I think they're unlocked, it's a trade off so that there's still a benefit to not having flight aids.
Are you sure? Because if they were unlocked I feel like that they would have said that instead of specifically calling them optional slots.

I could be wrong though. They might have already confirmed they were unlocked.

Are you sure? Because if they were unlocked I feel like that they would have said that instead of specifically calling them optional slots.

I could be wrong though. They might have already confirmed they were unlocked.
Ah, I think they mean optional internal as opposed to core internal.

I really think this game needs functional mentoring for new players. A sort of cadre of approved support squadrons that new players can join and get advice from.

And keybindings - yikes!

Top Bottom