April update - reading between the lines

I think its not well thought out.
But it's a done deal, balance is already a mess.
I'll take the slots for the DBX.
I do not like the extra slots. As you already mention the DBX - those extrabslots make practically all ships omni-potent in exploration, all ships will be self-sufficient for all but indefinitely. I know I'm the minority but I do think space should become more dangerous. Sure, extra help for beginners is ok but going across the galaxy should be very dangerous for all and bordering impossible for small ships, very dangerous for medium and a risky endeavour for large ships. With extra modules one can take both an AFMU and repair limpets on any ship and go anywhere.

I do not like the extra slots. As you already mention the DBX - those extrabslots make practically all ships omni-potent in exploration, all ships will be self-sufficient for all but indefinitely. I know I'm the minority but I do think space should become more dangerous. Sure, extra help for beginners is ok but going across the galaxy should be very dangerous for all and bordering impossible for small ships, very dangerous for medium and a risky endeavour for large ships. With extra modules one can take both an AFMU and repair limpets on any ship and go anywhere.
Perhaps FD is fed up with only Cmdr Thrust from Bradford having found Raxxla? Making all ships better at exploration will let us find Raxxla faster? While afking on spacelegs at the Coffee machine in the back of the bridge?... :giggle:

Perhaps FD is fed up with only Cmdr Thrust from Bradford having found Raxxla? Making all ships better at exploration will let us find Raxxla faster? While afking on spacelegs at the Coffee machine in the back of the bridge?... :giggle:
Yes, that must be the reason! Than again, why not just add "Raxxla detector" to all ships and be done with it? ;)

The new slots are type 1. And the bigger ships are only getting one as opposed to the smaller ships getting two. It's not like an extra type 1 is going to add that much more with an HRP for big ships, and small ships could use a bit more help with resistances and hp in general anyways. And as mentioned, there are many possible uses for the type 1 slots for other gameplay than just combat. As for the advanced docking and sc AP update, it's just some extra convenient functions and still nowhere near the full autopiloting of FE2. The sc extra automation while also optional and could be seen as handholding to newbs still respects the ED spacesim in general and vast distances modeled where it's not like intra-system jumping, or wormholes were added. I'd think most newbs once they acclimated enough to the game would eventually use the extra type1 slots in the small ships for other modules or uses, and eventually still take off the advanced docking "training wheel".

I think this should be seen as a preparatory stage for what is coming in 2020. If you lower the initial learning curve and safe systems, a docking computer and SC autopilot are effectively doing that you make the game more attractive to the new player. In doing so you reduce the emphasis on flight, automatically the galaxy will feel smaller and easier to traverse. Why would you do that? The obvious solution to me is that 2020 sees an FPS element added. This makes sense because it attracts a new type of gamer and money. They need to get players to and from the action efficiently. Players will need resources and the trading improvements will benefit that. If you add in a Thargoid invasion with Thargoid ground based troops that makes NPC AI the common enemy.

The new slots are type 1. And the bigger ships are only getting one as opposed to the smaller ships getting two. It's not like an extra type 1 is going to add that much more with an HRP for big ships, and small ships could use a bit more help with resistances and hp in general anyways. And as mentioned, there are many possible uses for the type 1 slots for other gameplay than just combat. As for the advanced docking and sc AP update, it's just some extra convenient functions and still nowhere near the full autopiloting of FE2. The sc extra automation while also optional and could be seen as handholding to newbs still respects the ED spacesim in general and vast distances modeled where it's not like intra-system jumping, or wormholes were added. I'd think most newbs once they acclimated enough to the game would eventually use the extra type1 slots in the small ships for other modules or uses, and eventually still take off the advanced docking "training wheel".
But large ships get a c1 slot for an interdictor for example, freeing a c3 or so (in case of Corvette etc.).
This will further inflate hit points.

This "inaccessibility" of ED is part of its history, to me at least as that's the way I played my first copy of Elite somewhere in 1986 without a manual (and no internet of course :p). Compared to that there's still a lot of "hand-holding" in the current incarnation of Elite but I guess the modern customers don't have that patience anymore...

My friend, the modern customer is mostly a lazy, mainstream media brainwashed couch potato, addicted to YouTube’s clips no longer than 3 mins and constantly seeking for instant gratification on Facebook, Snapchat or whatever idiotic ways to steal one’s time and make him watch ads.

So yeah, if you want a potato to buy your stuff you gotta have a proper stuff for a potato.

Still Elite Dangerous is defending against potato customers pretty well, compared to industry’ standards nova days.

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
My friend, the modern customer is mostly a lazy, mainstream media brainwashed couch potato, addicted to YouTube’s clips no longer than 3 mins and constantly seeking for instant gratification on Facebook, Snapchat or whatever idiotic ways to steal one’s time and make him watch ads.

So yeah, if you want a potato to buy your stuff you gotta have a proper stuff for a potato.

...Remind me never to accept any chips, fries or mash you make...

To put it another way... The new slot may be a size 1, but (for example) my Corvette already has a regular DC on it (yeah, I'm that lazy). Now I can put that in the new size 1 slot - so effectively, I'm getting a size 3 slot! The same applies to discovery scanners, tiny limpet controllers, etc.

With extra modules one can take both an AFMU and repair limpets on any ship and go anywhere.

Dude, that boat sailed a LOOOOONG time ago. Most long-range explorers already take a repair limpet and at LEAST 1 AMFU if not two. If they would allow us to repair the powerplant, I'd never come in from the black.

I have the oposite view, im afraid, this makes me want to leave elite after playing since premium beta. Somes ones going to come along and slap stablaisers on my ships with out asking that i cant remove all in the name of hand holding, the very thing that drew me to the game was the lack there of. This game has become more and more hamd holdy as the years have gone by and i have taken deep breath evey time but most of the time i can igonre the changes and just hold on the memories of the good old days when elite was hard and punishing.

All the latest changes with the exploration scanner thing and the sweeping under the rug of the ballance issues and the huge wait we now have for the next season im just going to put this game down and watch from a far in hope that one day i can rekindle the love i once had for this game. Im sure i will cus it a part of my life now.

Glad it will help the noobs as i hope more people by the game as frontier deserve the money but im not happy about the direction the game has gone in.
No one is preventing you from flying with FA off, no shield, in a Sidey, going against Medusas.

The problem is that it takes us further a way from a fix for the broken design. I do realise that not everyone sees the current module situation as an issue but it's easy to ignore it if it doesn't negatively affect your gameplay.

Autodocking and auto supercruise... All things I hate in no man's sky and start citizen... If players can't learn to handle these two things sorry but this is not the game for you... What's the next automatic thing then... Neutron boost and landing on high g planet... Maybe also FSS will become fully automatic then... Why not fdev?

Top Bottom