Are G5 thrusters so much better than G3?

Of course they are better, just look at the numbers.

The question should be are G3 A's better than G5 D's? And how much better are G5A's than G5D's?

I sue G5 D rated thrusters in my trade Cutter to maximise jump range and they're mighty close in performance to the G5 A's.

Last edited:
From my experience, thrusters are one of the few modules where G5 is noticeably better than G3.

Most modules when G5 engineered are just squeezing a few more percentage points out here and there, and on occasion G5s can even be WORSE than G3s because the drawbacks begin to outweigh the benefits.

But thrusters should always be G5, if you can.

So looking at Qwent (G3 thrusters) and then the Professor (G5), I am wondering if it's worth it to unlock the G5 thrusters? I have 25 modular terminals but getting the prof to unlock and deliver G5's seems a lot of effort for G3 to G5's? Then there are those "sensor fragments", which I have no idea about?
Perhaps I am getting a bit grind weary, I have just purchased my Cutter!😍 Anyone vouch for G5 Vs G3's?🧐
2 part answer...
1: yes
2: YES

Of course they are better, just look at the numbers.

The question should be are G3 A's better than G5 D's? And how much better are G5A's than G5D's?

I sue G5 D rated thrusters in my trade Cutter to maximise jump range and they're mighty close in performance to the G5 A's.
Boost speed?
I think u lose 60m/s on every ship using the D's

Last edited:
At the risk of stating the obvious, I think it depends on the ship.

If you're flying a T9/T10 it's probably not going to make that much difference if you make the extra effort to apply a G5 mod to the thrusters.
Conversely, if you're flying an iCourier or Viper, G5 thrusters are probably going to be a key part of your build.

Same thing applies to more "normal" ships, less obviously.
If you're flying, say, a Krait or Python as a multirole then you're probably going to be fine with G3 thruster mod's.
Sure, it's nice to apply a G5 mod' when you can but you're not going to feel like your ship's "half-finished" just because it only has G3 modded thrusters.

Boost speed?
I think u lose 60m/s on every ship using the D's

Fitting 8A drives to my Cutters gives it an extra 20m/s cruise and 40m/sec boost compared to 8Ds (303/481 vs 324/521).
Thing is, when I use 8Ds I can fit a smaller PP and PDist which helps offset the reduced power, improves jump-range and saves me (IIRC) around half a billion credits.

If you were building a Cutter as an attack ship, you'd probably want to go with the 8As to optimise your ability to chase your targets.
The rest of the time, a Cutter, with around 5000mj of shields, doesn't really need to be especially fast.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I think it depends on the ship.

If you're flying a T9/T10 it's probably not going to make that much difference if you make the extra effort to apply a G5 mod to the thrusters.
Conversely, if you're flying an iCourier or Viper, G5 thrusters are probably going to be a key part of your build.

Same thing applies to more "normal" ships, less obviously.
If you're flying, say, a Krait or Python as a multirole then you're probably going to be fine with G3 thruster mod's.
Sure, it's nice to apply a G5 mod' when you can but you're not going to feel like your ship's "half-finished" just because it only has G3 modded thrusters.
Yes I go along with you here. I have a Courier, Aspx, type 10 and my new Cutter! Now they are all A rated thrusters on G3. The Aspx is the fastest monouverer, but since it's for exploration and unarmed that's moot. The Courier feels more like a bigger ship and would probably benefit from G5. The type 10 was, well, a type 10. More like a B17 Flying Fortress, a "let the turrets do the job" ship. The Cutter feels similar to the Courier in a turning scrap against AI pirates? Why this should be I have no idea, but that's my subjective opinion.
I have Qwent unlocked, but need to "engineer" something up to G3/G4 to get Palin opened up. Since my ships are all G5 anyway that means hauling an unmodded power plant/distributor to Qwent so he can put 3/4's on it.
Really, at this point in time I am thinking it's not worth the faff just to go G5 thrusters on the Cutter. The Cutter can hold its own with the weapons I've engineered, using boost/turn/shoot. But who knows, that 5000 ly 'iron man" test is tempting me!😉

Really, at this point in time I am thinking it's not worth the faff just to go G5 thrusters on the Cutter. The Cutter can hold its own with the weapons I've engineered, using boost/turn/shoot. But who knows, that 5000 ly 'iron man" test is tempting me!😉

On my main account I tend to obsess over "finishing" every ship, which means G5ing everything.
On my alt-account, I just engineer ships as I find mat's.
Overall, I tend to find that most mat's up to G4 just "appear" in my inventory after a bit of scavving and a bit of shooting.
Most of my every-day ships (on my alt-account) are G3/G4 engineered and, frankly, I don't really miss the extra engineering.
Once in a while I'll be flying a ship and, for example, think "Hey, these lasers are running out of juice quicker than I recall" and then I'll realise that the PDist is only G3 engineered or than the lasers are only G3 efficient but it isn't really a big deal.

Regarding the Cutter, specifically, as has already been said, the main thing is to decide what thrusters to fit before engineering them.
The Cutter works okay with 7A thrusters, 8D thrusters and 8A thrusters.
For ultimate speed you're going to want 8A thrusters and you're going to want to apply a G5 Dirty Drive mod but they're expensive and they'll require a bigger PP and PDist.
If your Cutter is just a mining ship or a cargo ship you'll probably be fine fitting either 7A thrusters or 8D thrusters (IIRC, 8Ds work a bit better than 7As) instead.

It kind of sucks to go to all the trouble of G5 engineering a set of 8A thrusters and then realising you don't really need 'em.

Here's my Cutter build on Coriolis: https://s.orbis.zone/461-
Try having a play around with that, swapping the thrusters for 7As and 8As, to get an idea of how much difference it makes.
Pay attention to stuff like what PP and PDist will be required to power them.
For me, 8D thrusters were fine, and allowed me to fit a smaller PP and PDist which, in turn, gave me a couple of extra Ly jump-range too.

Wish the cutters brakes could be G5'd

I have Two Vultures with G3 thrusters. A ship already nimble enough so you can argue that G5'in this baby makes it harder to control.

There's a reason mine's called the "Objects In Mirror"
Flying something that uses a small pad, you wanna make extra certain you can't see her looming up over you as you enter the slot.
You will need to be very fast to make that happen ;)

On my main account I tend to obsess over "finishing" every ship, which means G5ing everything.
On my alt-account, I just engineer ships as I find mat's.
Overall, I tend to find that most mat's up to G4 just "appear" in my inventory after a bit of scavving and a bit of shooting.
Most of my every-day ships (on my alt-account) are G3/G4 engineered and, frankly, I don't really miss the extra engineering.
Once in a while I'll be flying a ship and, for example, think "Hey, these lasers are running out of juice quicker than I recall" and then I'll realise that the PDist is only G3 engineered or than the lasers are only G3 efficient but it isn't really a big deal.

Regarding the Cutter, specifically, as has already been said, the main thing is to decide what thrusters to fit before engineering them.
The Cutter works okay with 7A thrusters, 8D thrusters and 8A thrusters.
For ultimate speed you're going to want 8A thrusters and you're going to want to apply a G5 Dirty Drive mod but they're expensive and they'll require a bigger PP and PDist.
If your Cutter is just a mining ship or a cargo ship you'll probably be fine fitting either 7A thrusters or 8D thrusters (IIRC, 8Ds work a bit better than 7As) instead.

It kind of sucks to go to all the trouble of G5 engineering a set of 8A thrusters and then realising you don't really need 'em.

Here's my Cutter build on Coriolis: https://s.orbis.zone/461-
Try having a play around with that, swapping the thrusters for 7As and 8As, to get an idea of how much difference it makes.
Pay attention to stuff like what PP and PDist will be required to power them.
For me, 8D thrusters were fine, and allowed me to fit a smaller PP and PDist which, in turn, gave me a couple of extra Ly jump-range too.
Thanks for the reply. My "new" (toy) Cutter is here:
It's got all the engineered modules from my type 10. Surprisingly, they work very well in the Cutter, which I find better in combat. Offensively it kills faster, unsurprising without any turrets, (has a 2 fighter bay) and has 2000mj higher shields. As for the G5 drives...
So I am now just two things short of unlocking Prof Palin, the 25 sensor fragments and 5000 ly!🥴
I am sitting in my Aspx and wondering if the 100+ jumps can be endured? Probably because I am unsure what to "aim" for on the galaxy map and the fact I know I won't be able to resist stopping at every unexplored system to map it! It could take me years! Given we can only plot 1000 ly on the galaxy map, I haven't a clue what to aim for? I know the galaxy has arms and afraid I will end up in a void with no stars to refuel from? Like James T Kirk on my HCS Voicepack keeps telling me, without taking risks you never learn anything.🙃

If you're on PS4 don't bother with G5, it's about the same as G3. Personally, I'd recommend everyone on PS4 not bother engineering past G3 on anything, the difference is minimal at best.

Am I the only one who is looking at this thread and thinking "But Qwent doesn't engineer thrusters. He only does power plants and power distributors."

Shouldn't you be going to Farseer for G3 thruster mods?

Of course if you do decide to go G5 you'll still need access to Qwent in order to discover where Palin's base is. Plus you'll not only need the 25 fragments but also have to have travelled at least 5000Ly from your initial game starting point.

It was the 5000Ly that almost drove me insane.
Indeed, Qwent is only for finding Palin. Qwent is useless for anything else, at least speaking for myself, I already had G5 power plant and distributor. There was no other way to get introduced to Palin!🙄
As for the 5000ly.....I doubt I'll do it. All those hyper space jumps, a migraine inducing event.
Has anyone gone from G3 to G5 in a Cutter, using 7A drives and found there was a noticeable difference? That is the question.......to take arms against a sea of troubles.....I digress🤗

Top Bottom