Are legs advocates happy with what they got?

Seeing as there is little gameplay involved with legs, I was hoping for more.

As it stands right now: use your legs to gather materials to upgrade your suit and guns. Done. Game over.

That's it. It is literally just a engineering grind loop for the most part. The only non engineering part is on foot conflict zones.

Oh an I forgot: xenobology, that plant scanning thing. I forgot to include that because, it's well, forgettable... :(

Starting point for what?
For a game that is about more than you sitting in a cockpit of a ship. Perhaps even as a possibility to inject some actual structure and narrative to the world of Elite in a manner that is actually visible in the game itself. A possibility to make the missions more multi-faceted by applying ships, SRVS and on foot activity.

Odyssey is a good starting point for making the gameplay of Elite more than it is now, it just is a question of if FD wants to do that or is Odyssey just another experiment they will forget.

As a staunch space legs advocate, instead of a planet legs advocate; I'm mostly happy with what I got.

Sure, the update has a lot of problems, especially the fps issue, and it leaves much to desire, but the framework is there and
I like the foot pew pew a lot, combined with the occasional oooh when I admire me ships from the outside.

If - IF - FD follows up on the framework, adding content, and another update with either full atmo planets or space legs in the next 2 years, then I will be more then happy.
If not, I still won't cry a tear for the 45€ I spent, but it will be another big big missed opportunity.

Just curious. :) Personally, I've always advocated that E: D should be about spaceships, but here we are.

I get that the launch is a mess, but apart from that, are you leg commanders happy? Has it been worth the wait and effort?

I wasn't against Space Legs per se, but I always wanted FDev to do it "right" and add meaningful and entertaining content with it. It's the same argument I have regarding the infamous Ship Interiors: Sounds good in theory, but only if done right. If not done right, don't bother.

As for Space Legs: I'm not happy with what was delivered. Elite's greatest strength (in my book) is the vast galaxy and sandbox. Yet, with the exception of picking space flowers, all legs content is limited to the bubble. I expected them to include new Thargoid and Guardian content from the beginning. Maybe even adding new stuff like the return of the Dredger clans indicated. There could have been new pieces of lore and story that neatly weave into the new space legs mechanics and content.

Limiting space legs largely to the mission board and frontline solutions was a huge mistake in my opinion. The bugged human POIs all over the galaxy were cleary not working as intended and were fixed accordingly. That being said, exactly that sort of very, very rare POI far away from the bubble would have been a great addition for exploration. You find the wreck of a long dead explorer 40k ly away from the bubble (you know, a crashed AspX instead of a Sidewinder/Eagle...) and think "Yep, face planting on a high-g planet. Been there, done that, buddy. RIP"

Last but not least, I think space legs just don't feel like an organic evolution of the base game. The SRVs in Horizons fit perfectly well into the base game. You explore with your ship, land on a promising planet, you collect materials for (ship) engineering, you explore Guardian ruins and unlock new modules for your ship. That's what I miss the most in Odyssey. It's too separated from the main game. Content I play with legs only benefits legs more gameplay and it feels like it's all just intended to end up in the engineers game loop anyway.

In theory, Space Legs could be great and FDev could turn things around. Just use the existing mechanics and turn them into something great and awesome. But oh well, we've been saying the same about Powerplay, Multicrew or the Thargoid war for years now...

You do know Braben had loftier ideas from the get-go with Elite, right? He himself wanted it to be more than just flying ships and Odyssey is one step in that direction.
Sadly that was a decade ago almost. And seeing the release quality of Odyssey, and how long it took, I can't wait having to wait another 6 years for another expansion.. which is likely not going to happen.

Sadly that was a decade ago almost. And seeing the release quality of Odyssey, and how long it took, I can't wait having to wait another 6 years for another expansion.. which is likely not going to happen.
Four decades, actually. He always had the idea of elite being about pilots rather than ships. The latter was simply due to technical restraints.

Walking around on planets, scanning flora, is a completely new and welcome experience to me. I know, I am strange that way. So far, turning around to walk back to my ship and – wow, that thing is HUGE! So far this hasn't gotten old yet. I... actually bought some ARX to get a ship kit because I was now watching my ship from the outside so often ;)

I'm just returning to the bubble from a 2-day 3k ly trip, and I've been enjoying myself getting first footfalls and scanning plants. I enjoy tracking down the three specimens, and some of the planets I visited had 8 different species to find.

As a staunch space legs advocate, instead of a planet legs advocate; I'm mostly happy with what I got.

Sure, the update has a lot of problems, especially the fps issue, and it leaves much to desire, but the framework is there and
I like the foot pew pew a lot, combined with the occasional oooh when I admire me ships from the outside.

If - IF - FD follows up on the framework, adding content, and another update with either full atmo planets or space legs in the next 2 years, then I will be more then happy.
If not, I still won't cry a tear for the 45€ I spent, but it will be another big big missed opportunity.
Was going to make the point about Odyssey not being Space Legs, but you’ve already covered it.

With Planet Legs and Station Legs, Odyssey’s done a lot of groundwork (ahem) for Ship Legs. Part of the Planet Gen system rework was to completely redo it into a form that could be expanded and extended, so that it doesn’t need to be completely redone again in future. So more groundwork done again there.

It won’t be full Atmos in 2 years, there’s still too much to do.

It’s all still static surfaces at the moment, and they’re going to have to transition to dynamic surfaces. That’s going to be a big step. Same with dynamic weather. They need to build in atmospheric flight too.

Next major thing after that is proper life, and in particular when it effects the planets development and history, and then its dynamic real time state.

Then large scale fauna.

Plus then populated worlds and all the extra complexity that brings.

(Though terraformed worlds actually remove some complexity in terms of the history, the need for procgen life, etc. as they can effectively just be given a surface skim of Earth based stuff.)

So in my view it’s going to be a case of them either doing:
  • Ship Legs
  • Phase 2 of Atmospheric Planets
Or taking a bit longer and doing both.

Difficult decision to make, and one which they’re probably not in a position to make the best judgement on at the moment.

Edit - I think the general feedback on Odyssey would suggest they should do both, and then people can have the whole ‘stand up from your pilots chair and walk out onto an atmospheric planet experience’. That would obviously mean it’d be substantially longer before the expansion came out, so there’s a huge risk that they’d follow the Odyssey feedback, and this time it’d turn out that everyone would have preferred the one or the other sooner option.

Last edited:
I suspend my judgement until the full release.
For the moment it's nice to be able to get out of the srv when around exploring (however i have a LEP, so i don't care how many steps they need to add features, and i know that out-in-the-space legs were always supposed to be a separate expansion, they just pick land legs first, and it makes sense, also because they added tenuos atmospheric)

Last edited:
Odyssey has issues, for sure - both performance and bugs - but I've loaded Horizons only once since the alpha. (on the 2 accounts with Odyssey)

As I had no 'idea' about what ED: Legs 'should be', Odyssey provided more content on top of Horizons, always welcome. Oddly I tend to fly my own ship(s) to planetary surfaces and use the SRV to engage in foot content - but have no desire to take a stroll around the inside of my ship to admire my biowaste...

Just curious. :) Personally, I've always advocated that E: D should be about spaceships, but here we are.

I get that the launch is a mess, but apart from that, are you leg commanders happy? Has it been worth the wait and effort?
For me, on the whole, yes. After getting used to the galaxy/system map, I think it's an overall improvement and really enjoying the the legs stuff too.

Personally I never saw ED as about my ships, I see it as an adventure game set in space and planets, and now those adventures are expanded by being able to get out of the pilots seat.

Hopefully the outfitting UI will be improved upon too. I like the look of it, it's juts got some useful information missing.

Looking forward to seeing what else they bring to the table further down the line.

Odyssey has issues, for sure - both performance and bugs - but I've loaded Horizons only once since the alpha. (on the 2 accounts with Odyssey)

As I had no 'idea' about what ED: Legs 'should be', Odyssey provided more content on top of Horizons, always welcome. Oddly I tend to fly my own ship(s) to planetary surfaces and use the SRV to engage in foot content - but have no desire to take a stroll around the inside of my ship to admire my biowaste...
I have watched some videos of "that other space game" where interiors are an integral part of the game and I have to say that it looks astoundingly well-realised. I can imagine a layman playing that and then thinking "oh wow that's so cool, Elite needs this" but the issue is that other space game has had this feature drilled into its core design (to the state that there are actually locations to hide your smuggled goods in, locations to hide from attackers on your ship and the idea that a ship is "best suited to 2-3 players" as a concept). Elite is a single player game with this sort of functionality all baked into the idea that we do it all sat in our cockpit.

It's just too late for Elite to change so dramatically to accomodate all of the intensely intricate game play that other space game has baked into its entire ship design. It is, I think, something that other space game has to its credit. It isn't, I don't think, essential for all space games to be that way though.

...I was never an advocate of legs.

But as a standalone perspective with legs, its not well thought out. Dont get me wrong, its functional, but gameplay wise, its empty. If FPS is your thing, Odyssey is not worthy, its too simplistic, weapon advancement is rudimentary, laborious, and in places simply broken (smear campaigns are STILL not available even after Update 4). And not to mention the disaster that has been wrought on player factions being wiped out in anarchy systems.

So, I'd give Fdev a 'C-' for Odyssey, nice try, just not worth paying money for.

I think it is a massive under achievement, the potential of Space Legs has beeen totally squandered. Rather than a tacky capture the flag FPS space legs should have been an RPG, starting in ship interiors, EVA, in both zero G and gravity. There should have been a lot of depth to NPC's, relationships working out to a variety of foyers - not just the one ubiquitous design we have now, and there should have been procedurally generated "cities" in starports and actual cities on settlements. CP2077's one city has more variety of environment than the entirety of Odyssey's play area. Sure - planets have more area, but they are mostly empty, and that is interactive is less so than CP2077 is. Space legs should have tied into the galaxy and BGS more than just a grindy first person capture the flag shooter side-show.

It's just too late for Elite to change so dramatically to accomodate all of the intensely intricate game play that other space game has baked into its entire ship design. It is, I think, something that other space game has to its credit. It isn't, I don't think, essential for all space games to be that way though.
Being an absolute layman in games development... I'd have thought that ED ship interiors would be like the social space in stations etc. Not actually, physically 'part' of the ship, rather a separate instance with transition points to cockpit & outside. Put some gameplay associated with it and we have 'more content', but it might require a little more imagination to be engaging. (then work around the issues presented if it is an optional asset rather than part of the base game)

Top Bottom