Are legs advocates happy with what they got?

Of course I am.... Why else would I say it? Combat is at least 1/3rd of ED, if one doesn't shun it in preference to shooting flowers, or hauling Biowaste šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Of course, there are other opinions available, which may even agree with your own, but if you have not played the FPS part because someone told you it was pants...

Incidentally, it isn't all FPS pew-pew... But prejudices run deep here!
I've spent a ton less time shooting guns in EDO than doing other things on foot. I think if someone thinks EDO is "just pew pew" then someone probably hasn't actually played EDO.

iu
I mean, if it's the only game you've seen and played since elite 1984, I guess it's very awesome and impressive.

Yes, I played Frontier: Elite II back in the 90's
So when I bought ED my expectations were more towards atmospheric planets rather than FPS.
I'm not saying FPS is bad, but if it requires 3 years of development maybe there are more important things to look at first.
Except that isn't all we have either. Odyssey brings us the beginnings of atmospheric planets, and it also adds many more things to do that does not involve shooting. They didn't take 3 years just to create a First Person Shooter. Odyssey is far more than that. Shooting is only a part of the experience.

Nope. I wasn't all that interested in ground combat, and especially the way it was implemented with weapon swapping like we have in ships.

I wanted Odyssey to be a more immersive experience, focused more on exploring on foot and walking around stations and eventually our ships. What we got instead was an FPS-killing, UI-destroying disappointment. IMO.

The potential is still there but I haven't logged in to play since the day after the Odyssey launch. I'm not a fan of the gameplay or the computer-melting performance.
You don't have to weapon swap. Just get yourself a plasma weapon and you're good to go. Weapon swapping though is there for people that like it.

Also shooting is just a part of the expansion. We also have the beginnings of atmospheric planets and many missions where combat it purely optional.

The idea of walking around planets and stations for no reasons at all seems a bit rubbish to me.

I mean, if it's the only game you've seen and played since elite 1984, I guess it's very awesome and impressive.
I don't know what all that fuss is about personally. I've played countless FPS games since Wolfenstein 3D on a 486, right up to as recent as releases in the last year and I don't think EDO is badly executed at all. When you actually consider the scope of what Elite is and how they've attempted to slot into that scope... it's pretty impressive. The most important thing is the FPS is fun in a tactile way and it is. It's also not horrendously balanced. And I've played AAA titles over the years that were badly balanced.

The frequently trotted out opinion that EDO won't ever do FPS as good as AAA titles is a little asinine, if I'm being harsh. It's assuming this global premise that all AAA titles actually do FPS perfectly. And they do not. They all do it differently (and in many cases, they don't even do that). And none of them do it in the same way EDO does, with its integration with a 1:1 galaxy.

It's also not horrendously balanced. And I've played AAA titles over the years that were badly balanced.
You mean like having 3 guns being literally superior to everything else, and most of the other being so bad it's not worth using at all ?
Out of 9 weapons....
The frequently trotted out opinion that EDO won't ever do FPS as good as AAA titles is a little asinine, if I'm being harsh. It's assuming this global premise that all AAA titles actually do FPS perfectly. And they do not. They all do it differently (and in many cases, they don't even do that). And none of them do it in the same way EDO does, with its integration with a 1:1 galaxy.
It's not about doing better than AAA. But right now we have a team domination match and a bunch of "shoot the scav" as FPS. And yes, it's terrible compared to pretty much all the FPS in existence, and even some unity assets flipper are straight up better in some category.

Now, FPS is not all we had with EDO, but it's the majority of it. And it's straight up very meh.

I think it was a mistake to focus so much on it, since they couldn't compete with many FPS around.

You don't have to weapon swap. Just get yourself a plasma weapon and you're good to go. Weapon swapping though is there for people that like it.

Also shooting is just a part of the expansion. We also have the beginnings of atmospheric planets and many missions where combat it purely optional.

The idea of walking around planets and stations for no reasons at all seems a bit rubbish to me.
Well be glad you can even walk around planets and stations. My computer doesn't allow it with an acceptable frame rate. For me right now it's Horizons or bust, and knowing they're going to be changing Horizons has killed my desire to play even that.

You mean like having 3 guns being literally superior to everything else, and most of the other being so bad it's not worth using at all ?
Out of 9 weapons....
Some of the AAA titles I've played had just one or two weapons everyone used because they were OP. And I mean seriously OP. So much so that we had to totally mod all weapons on our server to make it more fun (it was still a very fun game). This was a call of duty game.

And that was 100% MP. Elite isn't. Actually, it's closer to 100% PVE than PVP. Weapon balance is important but who cares if someone uses plasma only?

The three plasma weapons are great but they are not so OP that you cannot use anything else (I'd ague that all weapons at G5 will obliterate any PVE content in the game, except maybe the Opressor). And honestly, I see so many players say they don't use plasma because it's simpler sometimes to just use the Aphelion and AR50, or Zenith and the SMG. If you think EDO is the example of imbalance then I'm unsure you've played a lot of other games in the last two decades.

It has things that can be made better. It's not horrendously imbalanced and that's just one issue anyway. An FPS game just needs to be fun. EDO is fun. And it's more fun for me than any current AAA FPS title. Which is why I play it and not those games.

The fact you found out which guns I was refering to without me saying which one it was make it rather obvious on how balanced it is.
I'm not dense, dude :D. The fact I can surmise something someone thinks doesn't solidify it as fact. Pistols are too powerful. That's it. It's not some major imba issue with the game that ruins it for everyone and it's pretty easy for Fdev to fix.

Fixating on something like this doesn't negate what I said: AAA titles are not the perfect examples of FPS glory some make out when they try to rip EDO for daring to venture into that territory.

Last edited:
Well be glad you can even walk around planets and stations. My computer doesn't allow it with an acceptable frame rate. For me right now it's Horizons or bust, and knowing they're going to be changing Horizons has killed my desire to play even that.
Horizons is only going to change marginally (updated UI and Planets) and it will be months down the line, hopefully by then performance issues will be sorted.

I enjoy all the aspects of the settlement design and layout - security levels, restricted area markers, etc. I love the cosmetic touches: how the doors work/sound, fire effects, depressurization, and (my favorite) the way the reactor vents when you shut it down.

The on foot combat is decent. I've love the ability to clone profiles and sneak around. E-breaches are nice too.

And while I haven't successfully done it yet, I love that full physical multi-crew is a thing now. Team mates can use your (extra) SRVs, board your ship, etc.

Frontline combat zones are fun. I like being deployed by a dropship and the quick/painless respawn if I die. Certainly much more friendly than the rebuy one faces when losing their ship in a combat zone.

On foot Assassination missions are a blast. They are also the first time a "mission complication" can make a mission much easier. I love it when the mission giver tells me "They've been tipped off and tried to flee. We managed to disable their ship. You need to hurry." That always means they're going to be out in the middle of nowhere on a planet, with no guards to sneak around, and a ship I can scavenge parts from. :D

In short, minus the bugs, Odyssey is at a good starting point. I believe back during the 2 years of secrecy, the devs did stat they were rewriting most/all of the code from scratch (that would explain why multicrew SRV use is now a possibility, where it wasn't before (but was promised when multicrew launched). If that's true, then we're at a new/refreshed start point where they should be able to add new features with less likely-hood of major bugs like with past Horizon updates.

So yes, I'm happy with my space legs. I do hope ship interiors come in the next few years - as soon as they figure out what to do to qualify that as "fun" in their minds. For me, the only real disappoint is exobiology. It is so boring and time consuming right now, my stance is a firm "NOPE, not going to do it."

I've spent a ton less time shooting guns in EDO than doing other things on foot. I think if someone thinks EDO is "just pew pew" then someone probably hasn't actually played EDO.
You're much better at stealth than I am. Sometimes I can get my assassination target cleanly by cloning IDs and sneaking into where they are; then there is no collateral damage. Other times, I get spotted right away and then shout "Black Op!" and proceed to eliminate all witnesses. :D

I just love the detail they put into how the settlements work. If you're doing a mission that says the alarms can never go off, your best bet is to make your way to the settlement alarms panel and disable the alarms (requires a cloned ID of 1 or higher or an e-breach on the Alarms panel). If you're doing a mission that requires you to find a particular item, you can just go to a terminal and find where it is and mark it. Sometimes what you're looking for requires a certain security level to be visible from the terminals, so either clone that from somebody or e-breach the terminal. Finally, if you're on a mission to wipe out everyone in the settlement, you can use the terminal to help you find those last few targets and highlight them on your HUD. So helpful... ;D

Yes, there are a lot of things that need polish and refinement, but the base experience is really fun. So much so I haven't really done much ship based stuff (bounty hunting, ship assassination missions, etc.) since Odyssey launched. Everything I do is revolving around ground missions/experiences.

Saying that ā€œElite: Dangerous is all about the spaceshipsā€ ignores that the plan was always to add legs. Horizons has SRVā€™s - they arenā€™t spaceships either.

Odyssey gives you new places to go in your spaceship, and new reasons to go there. After hundreds of hours in Horizons, I needed that. The space component of Elite is mature - so itā€™s a lot harder to add new content.

Meanwhile, complaining about there being a lot of combat mechanics ignores that the rest of Elite has combat mechanics. Although people whine about the exploring content, the new planet tech, landfall, and plant scanning is the reason why Iā€™d want to go exploring again.

(I'd ague that all weapons at G5 will obliterate any PVE content in the game, except maybe the Opressor).
For all the complaints I have about it, a G5 Oppressor can clear a High CZ well enough.

Other times, I get spotted right away and then shout "Black Op!" and proceed to eliminate all witnesses. :D
Covert missions are just Massacre Missions with the Alarms turned off :p

Top Bottom