Are legs advocates happy with what they got?

Really ? No way to hide a body, to hide yourself besides crouching, no hacking camera and whatnot, no "non lethal weapon" (the only one is considered lethal), no silent back attack, no security hacking to turn aumated defense against NPC, no way to make a diversion (noise machine, remote hacking...)...

I don't play stealth game because I'm terrible at stealth, and I can see plenty of the stuff that are missing. In fact, it's worse in that aspect than Cyberpunk, which is hardly a stealth game, and have a ton of cut content.
And yet some of those games don't have things Odyssey has.

I dunno. I wasn't really imagining they'd do any stealth mechanics at all! So getting something that's really pretty sophisticated isn't a cause for a misery pile-on from me.

You clearly have no idea about AI though.

I've been playing vidya for several decades, as have most here, so I have interacted with hundreds, perhaps thousands, of various implementations of game AI. You don't need a PHD in AI to know dumb AI when you see it. EDO's AI is very reminiscent of Goldeneye, and certainly bested by UT2K4. At least UT2K4 bots could make use of vertical elements. Maybe I'm just too uneducated to understand the advanced reasoning behind EDO NPC's tactic of not utilizing vertical elements? ;)

I dunno. I wasn't really imagining they'd do any stealth mechanics at all! So getting something that's really pretty sophisticated isn't a cause for a misery pile-on from me.
You were the one who bring the whole stealth mechanic into the debate, saying, and I quote :
I'm very much a stealth person, loving things like Thief, MGS, Deus Ex, Dishonored etc... I think the stuff in Odyssey, and particularly the way all the security systems work, is actually up there with some of the best of that stuff.
So stop dancing around and tell us about those "sophisticated" stealth mechanic. Please. A nice list.

I'm just too uneducated to understand the advanced reasoning behind EDO NPC's tactic of not utilizing vertical elements?
I agree, insufficient information gathering prior to making the comment.

I know it is an odd concept, but, you know, if you read around this forum a lot, there happens to be a fairly large contingent of players who abhor guns, violence, and killing, and any kind of real challenge...

As they appear to be just about a majority, there is no way that any serious threat is going to be programmed into the AI and completely alienate those players.

Simple 🤷‍♂️

I am 100% convinced that most of Elite Dangerous' dedicated playerbase is made up of people who literally ONLY play Elite and never anything else.

Because I can't fathom any other reason that people think that what EDO delivered is anywhere near what a sensible person would call "good". Play literally any other game that is REMOTELY similar to either Horizons or Odyssey and it's painfully clear that EDO is stuck in the year 2007.

No. We wanted space legs, not an FPS joke. We imagined it as walking in ships and stations, EVA's, planetary exploration around stations and POI's. What we got was a ridiculous implementation of FPS with "personal shields" and whack a mole combat game mechanic. A murder simulator where you can't do most of the ground missions without murdering civilians. So much for ED being a space simulator, since they sacrificed everyone's rendering performance (especially VR players) to the altar of attracting 13 year old COD players. No self respecting FPS player would be attracted into EDO with this ground gameplay.

I know it is an odd concept, but, you know, if you read around this forum a lot, there happens to be a fairly large contingent of players who abhor guns, violence, and killing, and any kind of real challenge...

Yeah, it's funny. Nearly the only people who defended EDO being revealed as an FPS were the same people who also stated they don't play FPS, with many saying they had never played FPS. Openly defending EDO merely for FD's honor. 🤣👌

As they appear to be just about a majority...

Reviews and a casual glance at YT comments shows they are the minority. But they can not accept the fact internally. Doing so would mean that muh ladies honor had, indeed, been soiled. That level of cognitive dissonance could push one to retire their lance.

I am 100% convinced that most of Elite Dangerous' dedicated playerbase is made up of people who literally ONLY play Elite and never anything else.

Yeah, likely true in many cases. The only other game I have played in years is DRG, so count me among these people.

o7

edit: Actually, I still play X-Com, but that doesn't really count. That's more a . . . lifestyle?

Last edited:
I mean I hate to say it, but if this is true for even half of the core playerbase, it would explain a lot.

No reason to feel this is a negative statement. It is in fact a very positive fact that FD should take pride in. What they have with ED really is special. It's why people are so angry with FD messing it up continually. I spent a good amount of money building a little cockpit just for ED, and wish I had a reason to dump money on FD. I personally would pay a $20 monthly subscription if FD did good development for ED, and I would be squeeling in glee to do it.

As things currently stand, I won't even buy cosmetics for the ships I love.

No reason to feel this is a negative statement. It is in fact a very positive fact that FD should take pride in. What they have with ED really is special. It's why people are so angry with FD messing it
I understand the sentiment you are conveying, but I meant more so that it would explain why we see a lot of Elite players saying that EDO has great gameplay; because they don't have anything else to compare it to.

I've been playing vidya for several decades, as have most here, so I have interacted with hundreds, perhaps thousands, of various implementations of game AI. You don't need a PHD in AI to know dumb AI when you see it. EDO's AI is very reminiscent of Goldeneye, and certainly bested by UT2K4. At least UT2K4 bots could make use of vertical elements. Maybe I'm just too uneducated to understand the advanced reasoning behind EDO NPC's tactic of not utilizing vertical elements? ;)
You do appear to be missing that the lack of vertical AI is a design choice, rather than a failing, yes.

Remember that the game is specifically designed to accommodate numerous control and display schemes AND a largely non-FPS audience. So the AI isnt really supposed to offer such challenges.

So for its niche it has little issue settling upon the shelf alongside its contemporaries.

You do appear to be missing that the lack of vertical AI is a design choice, rather than a failing, yes.

Remember that the game is specifically designed to accommodate numerous control and display schemes AND a largely non-FPS audience. So the AI isnt really supposed to offer such challenges.

So for its niche it has little issue settling upon the shelf alongside its contemporaries.
Ah, the good ol' "it was designed poorly on PURPOSE!" argument.

Top Bottom