Are legs advocates happy with what they got?

It’s all alright. Never a pusher for space legs but we got them and it’s…ok, I guess?

Still maintain what I said years ago: rather than station and planet running, if space legs were a thing would have much preferred immersive EVA spacewalk gameplay to fix external parts of the ship, and in ship repair gameplay.

I've been playing vidya for several decades, as have most here, so I have interacted with hundreds, perhaps thousands, of various implementations of game AI. You don't need a PHD in AI to know dumb AI when you see it. EDO's AI is very reminiscent of Goldeneye, and certainly bested by UT2K4. At least UT2K4 bots could make use of vertical elements. Maybe I'm just too uneducated to understand the advanced reasoning behind EDO NPC's tactic of not utilizing vertical elements? ;)
You're not wrong. The AI is seriously lacking...they make very easy targets though.

There are 3 kinds of legs advocates:​

These who aim to have legs to interact their ships ---- NAH -_-
These who use legs to FPS CZ / stealth elements ---- HAPPY !!!
These who expect legs with VR ---------------------------- NAH -_-

Land a Cutter in a station, disembark, you can interact with your ship for the entire minute you need to run from the front stair to the station elevators.
Granted the interaction would be sort of one sided and would consist mostly in throwing some invectives in a general direction...

Land a Cutter in a station, disembark, you can interact with your ship for the entire minute you need to run from the front stair to the station elevators.
Granted the interaction would be sort of one sided and would consist mostly in throwing some invectives in a general direction...
My bad, corrrection here:

These who aim to have legs to interact their ship INTERIORS ---- NAH -_-
These who use legs to FPS CZ / stealth elements ------------------- HAPPY !!!
These who expect legs with VR -------------------------------------------- NAH -_-

I like legs for walking around planets, care nothing for the FPS, they should have done more with legs and exploration, for instance exploring abandoned mega ships would be nice but that would have required a lot of work modeling them, hmm maybe they should have skipped the FPS altogether to put more work into integrating legs into exploration. But overall, I have no complaints about legs.

so you think that running 200 meters of interiors, negotiating turns, doors and stairs, would be a fun thing when you're doing it for the umpteenth time?
No, I have another game called Empyron. In that game I have a very detailed anaconda, I can travel between sections inside, cooking, growing plants inside it's bio farm.
That levels of details is what I consider to be "interior".

No, I have another game called Empyron. In that game I have a very detailed anaconda, I can travel between sections inside, cooking, growing plants inside it's bio farm.
That levels of details is what I consider to be "interior".

And if you are interdicted while you cook or grow a plant, i guess you manage to reach the cockpit just in time to hear Eject! Eject!

so you think that running 200 meters of interiors, negotiating turns, doors and stairs, would be a fun thing when you're doing it for the umpteenth time?
No, we actually think. We consider the possibility that maybe it isn't an all or nothing proposition. Imagine if you can the ability to chose either 'Disembark Ship' (current) or 'leave seat'.

And if you are interdicted while you cook or grow a plant, i guess you manage to reach the cockpit just in time to hear Eject! Eject!
Humm, in that game you can walk around only when ship is docked or fully stop in space. Also your ship has much stronger shield and turrets than in ED.
But you are right, how to put ship combat events and ship interiors together in ED is a pain.

These who use legs to FPS CZ / stealth elements ---- HAPPY !!!
These who expect legs with VR ---------------------------- NAH -_-

Hey you forgot:

Those who want to float about in Zero G ---- NAH -_-
Those who want to extract minerals from a dinosaur's tear ---- NAH -_-
Those who wish to drink an imaginary beverage with friends ---- NAH -_-

The disappointments are endless, and many days have been ruined ;)

(PS anyone in the VR camp, come click the sig in my link ;). Will hit up the CMs for more info/action if it hits top-voted Suggestion on record. Not far off now :))

There's some really fun gameplay in there and I'm dead excited to walk around but will only be able to give a proper appraisal when the game is fully released and running properly. For now it looks like a good base that can be added on to.. (where have we heard that before)

Fun? Why does it need to be funny?
Immersive? Yes, a lot.
I do it in SC and it's not an issue at all... maybe because big ships gotmultiple exit so you don't need to run for such long distances.
Things just need to be done properly.
Even the quickest action can become boring if improperly designed.

Again, the biggest issue the game will always have is scope. It's so big, making it "everything for everyone" is going to be impossible - for an example, look at one of the other space sims that's been in permanent alpha for getting on for a decade, where feature creep and the willingness of their CEO to demand absolutely everything is a literal anchor around its neck dragging it down. Frontier are too small of an organization to be able to cater to all the things the community wants, so they have to do them in order. While the hardcore fans amongst us will pine for walking around our ships, the reality is that most on-foot gameplay out there right now is FPS-based so what we ended up getting was ALWAYS on the cards.

Unfortunately, it got fairly botched on released, so instead of building on it, Frontier has had to spend their time repairing the foundation instead. Prior to launch, I expected things to be expanded to on-foot Thargoid encounters, some sort of limited ship interiors, more SRV options (don't get rid of those vehicle schematics, you're gonna need them one day!) and for exploration to be expanded on, probably within the subsequent 12-18 months. I still think we'll see all that, but the all-hands-to-the-pump issues that Odyssey ended up having kicked that down the road.

People who expect this game (or any game, to be honest) to be EXACTLY the one they want are going to be disappointed.

I had no interest in 'legs'. Zip, nada, nothing. I wanted ship related stuff. Still do.

I definitely want more ship integration. I'm doing that more or less on my own now, but there are definite 'conveniences' that would make it better and more integrated.

That being said, so far so good and looking forward to Update 7 performance improvements and the rest.

I really do not understand why FDev didn't do an actual Beta. Boggles my mind.

I definitely want more ship integration. I'm doing that more or less on my own now, but there are definite 'conveniences' that would make it better and more integrated.
Abso-bleedin'-lutely.

That said, I'm noticing stuff the last few days that when returning from an on-foot mission I get a "mission related alert" that I don't remember seeing prior to this week, where you stop at a signal source, and you're offered an additional job (usually no different than the random hauling jobs so far.)

But I'd love to see something like accepting a settlement clear-out mission, one escapes in a ship, you're given info on what system they've jumped to, but from there its up to you to find them to complete the mission. Maybe bartenders get to have a bigger role, instead of just being the people you talk to about materials or goods - they can provide information if suitably bribed (Sorry guv, I don't know nuffink about no bloke on the run after a settlement massacre, but if you were to grease my palms a bit I might remember the ship type and name of it) at which point you take 'em out ship to ship.

Was not interested in Odyssey one bit until about 2 days from launch, and then thought why not get it just for the Horizons improvements? So I bought it. Now I do not really care about the improvements to Horizons, but really, really enjoy hitting settlements to take out the occupants/scavs prior to looting. Especially with a team mate.

So, I am cleaning up the galaxy, one settlement at a time. Some I have to pay a return visit (or two or three...).

But I'd love to see something like accepting a settlement clear-out mission, one escapes in a ship, you're given info on what system they've jumped to, but from there its up to you to find them to complete the mission. Maybe bartenders get to have a bigger role, instead of just being the people you talk to about materials or goods - they can provide information if suitably bribed (Sorry guv, I don't know nuffink about no bloke on the run after a settlement massacre, but if you were to grease my palms a bit I might remember the ship type and name of it) at which point you take 'em out ship to ship.
I actually really like this idea. I think there's a lack of content atm that combines the on foot gameplay with ship gameplay, kind of making it feel like two separate games in a way.

Top Bottom