Are rudder pedals worth buying for Elite: Dangerous?

Firstly, I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I didn't see any dedicated forum or sub-forum for hardware discussion, so if this is in the wrong place, I do apologize, and please move it to the proper forum/sub-forum.

Now, on to my plight (so to speak); I've been playing Elite: Dangerous since I'm pretty sure around December of 2015, and have (within the past couple of years) started playing with a HOTAS. Started out with the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, and about 5-6 months ago, finally pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on getting the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS package.

I initially shied away from the T.16000M Flight Pack (which includes not only the T.16000M flightstick and TWCS Throttle, but the TFRP rudder pedals) because I figured, with the T.16000M having the twist stick rudder feature, andd the TWCS having the rudder paddles, I wouldn't really have need for the pedals, and that it was just an extra $50 that I really had no need to spend at $189.99 (USD). Now though, I'm actually starting to contemplate getting the pedals after all, but my question still remains, "Is it actually worth it?", even from an immersion standpoint? As you can tell, I'm quite on the fence about it.

I guess, what I'm looking for are some experienced, well-informed thoughts and opinions from owners of not just the Thrustmaster pedals, but those from owners of other brands, as well, just to see a general consensus of whether or not the experience is worth the extra expenditure.

I do own the CH Pro Pedals, mandatory for me bc Warthog, so no twist stick.
I'm definately satisfied with this combo, don't want to go back.
Dunno what to add, feel free to ask.

"is this or that worth it" questions are kind of hard to answer, but my very subjective take on pedals is: mandatory. Of course, I already had the full Warthog + Saitek rudder pedals setup when Elite came around, so I never experienced it any other way. As an avid flight-simmer I actually cannot remember a time when I did not have a HOTAS+pedals setup connected to my PC. I recently replaced the Saiteks with MFG Crosswinds and though not cheap they are worth every penny, imo.

Yes.

/thread.

I've had twist stick (T16000M, foureggsample), and much refer pedals. I currently have VKB T-rudder MKIII, and also the Baur F3 pedals. The VKB is excellent value for money, and incredibly precise. I actually like it so much, I steer the SRV with them.

My current setup of choice:
CH Pro throttle
VKB T-rudder MKIII
Virpil WarBRD + Warthog grip

I own (along with the above):
Warthog HOTAS, T16000M, Virpil Mongoos T-50, Virpil T-50 grip, Logitech 3D Pro.

Z...

Last edited:
I have pedals (admittedly race sim not flight sim) but don't use them for ED. I don't use the stick twist on my T-16000 either, instead I use the finger paddle on the throttle for yaw and the analogue mini-stick for thrusters (and clicking it in is boost).

Money no object I'd have the pedals too of course, but money (or value for money) is a factor and while being able to yaw is a big deal, being able to yaw with my feet freeing up my left hand for something else is not important enough to justify the expense for me.

I don't really play any other flight sims though, I play race sims (ie driving cars) and flight sim pedals worth having can't really do both. If you have other games that you can mitigate the cost across that might make a difference.

Last edited:
I feel they are very worth it.

Better sticks tend not to have twist and even if they do, long periods of using your wrist that way is the path to RSI.

You also get another set of axes with the toe breaks on most pedals.

Depends what you mean by "worth it" really.

To be brutal, I don't think any mass-produced flight-sim pedals are worth what the companies charge for them.
They're a pretty simple device and the companies often seem to design them using overly complex mechanisms (but still make them out of lousy materials) in order to elevate the perceived value.
And then they break because they're made of monkey-metal and/or plastic.

As for whether pedals are "worth it" in terms of significantly adding to the immersion of a flight-sim, sure. They're great.

Somewhat related: yes, these things are insanely expensive, yet I for quite a while do consider if I should get some. But I play on an (very comfortable) office chair with rollers. So I am afraid that I'd end up kicking myself through the living room when using pedals.
So what's the experience of those who play with pedals? Do you need a more "stationary" chair, or are my fears wrong?

Somewhat related: yes, these things are insanely expensive, yet I for quite a while do consider if I should get some. But I play on an (very comfortable) office chair with rollers. So I am afraid that I'd end up kicking myself through the living room when using pedals.
So what's the experience of those who play with pedals? Do you need a more "stationary" chair, or are my fears wrong?

Build a ramp and angle it towards your computer, gravity will do the rest (now that's gotta move the green bar :))

Update:
How about a tread mill in reverse?

So what's the experience of those who play with pedals? Do you need a more "stationary" chair, or are my fears wrong?.

I guess it depends how easily your chair rolls, I need a fair amount of force to get mine moving (on carpet), so using the pedals is no problem at all.

Get casters with wheel locks or stationary floor glides to replace the wheels.

Yes, if you’re using an “aircraft” control scheme. Pitch and roll on the stick, yaw on the pedals. Forward thrust throttle. Your choice of control assignments for side and vertical thrust. And a stationary chair.

For me, I prefer dual twist sticks for spaceships. No pedals, which allow me to use a swivel chair with the added benefit that it’s easy to look behind in VR.

Do you like celantro? Some people do, some people don’t.
At the end of the day only you can decide pedals or no pedals.
Personally I’m a no pedals. I like to put my feet up, not dance and wiggle when I play.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Or at least seven.

mfg_testimonial.jpg

On a related topic has fdev said anything about support for the hori ace combat 7 hotas coming out in jan? Asking because the force feedback on they ps4 version could be awsome.

Top Bottom