are the cargo rewards for a lot of non-cargo missions just there to annoy us?

Or is there a purpose? [EDIT: I see now, it was engineering commodities - before I started playing again this January...]

Every mission running ship now has to waste a slot for an otherwise useless 4 ton cargo rack.

On ships with few slots, that puts a serious crimp in your fitting flexibility...

For that matter, Fuel Scoops should get core internal slots.

FD gives the biggest scoop slot they want to be possible in that ship and you can install smaller ones as you please.The planetary approach suite should have also gone there, if just for neatness...

And docking computers shouldn't even be a module... should just be a software in the computer you can turn on or off like the head-lights...

Last edited:
OK, here we go again...

Missions currently have cargo rewards because when the Engineers initially dropped Commodities were part of the recipe. People complained and eventually the Commodity components of recopies were removed - temporarily. This was to allow the feasibility for limited storage to be made available. Instead, the 3.0 Chapter One update will allow the selection of Commodity-free mission rewards, so it is no longer a concern.

Fuel Scoops are fitted by individual choice - they are not absolutely critical to the correct functioning of the ship - hence why they are Optional Internals.

Docking Computers - Most CMDRs eschew (that's choose to avoid) installing them as they feel it detracts from the overall piloting experience, hence they are also Optional Internals. YMMV

OK, here we go again...

Missions currently have cargo rewards because when the Engineers initially dropped Commodities were part of the recipe. People complained and eventually the Commodity components of recopies were removed - temporarily. This was to allow the feasibility for limited storage to be made available. Instead, the 3.0 Chapter One update will allow the selection of Commodity-free mission rewards, so it is no longer a concern.

Fuel Scoops are fitted by individual choice - they are not absolutely critical to the correct functioning of the ship - hence why they are Optional Internals.

Docking Computers - Most CMDRs eschew (that's choose to avoid) installing them as they feel it detracts from the overall piloting experience, hence they are also Optional Internals. YMMV

1) Thanks for the explanation, I had quit playing during 1.4 and only just returned, missing the horrors of having to drag around commodities to engineers...
There are already missions without cargo rewards, but since you don't want to fly to another system for a single boom data mission, that is a moot point.

2) On the scoops - well optional - if you never want to fly anywhere with your ship, sure. When I fly back and forth between 2 or 3 systems in my Python, I don't carry a fuel scoop, but to get to those systems, I have to install one every time, so the current system is forcing you to constantly fumble with your loadout.

3)
docking computers - nobody is forcing you to turn it on! it already weighs nothing.
And sometimes, its absolutely crucial for people with a real life outside of the game! How many times are people waiting for me to get with them and I say "please wait, I have to dock my stupid ship first"! How many times could I use the time to let my ship land on its own, poor a cup of milk for my son or get some tissues or run to the bathroom.

Elite isn't nearly mindful enough of people's real life... in World of Warcraft, you could log in a split second, outside of raiding.

"Piloting Experience"
yeah, I can land all pro-style, I can also land topsy turvy and slam my ship into the pad in just the right spot.
I think somewhere between 50 and 200 times docking, I got all the novelty and enjoyable experience out of it, that I possibly could, for the rest of my life.
I actually have a license for single prop airplanes, so I can tell you, that landing in Elite doesn't quite compete with the real thing.

So, I'd just like not to loose a slot for it. There's no logical justification.

Also: "most commanders eschew" - only FDev could know the true numbers - majority of players from ~2.9 million sold boxes aren't even on the forum.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
3.0 gives you multiple reward options, usually at least one that offers no cargo rewards, so that'll fix this.

Lestat

Banned
On the scoops - well optional - if you never want to fly anywhere with your ship, sure. When I fly back and forth between 2 or 3 systems in my Python, I don't carry a fuel scoop, but to get to those systems, I have to install one every time, so the current system is forcing you to constantly fumble with your loadout.
I notice you have not played in a while. Have you look to see if there a neutron star near by 2 or 3 system Maybe Work on a better Frame shift drive?

docking computers - nobody is forcing you to turn it on! it already weighs nothing.
And sometimes, its absolutely crucial for people with a real life outside of the game! How many times are people waiting for me to get with them and I say "please wait, I have to dock my stupid ship first"! How many times could I use the time to let my ship land on its own, poor a cup of milk for my son or get some tissues or run to the bathroom.
Only time I use docking computer was in the Orignal Elite 1984 game. Now its fun to dock. If I have to use the bathroom I log onto the main screen Or dock.

Elite isn't nearly mindful enough of people's real life... in World of Warcraft, you could log in a split second, outside of raiding.
Never played World of Warcraft.

Piloting Experience" yeah, I can land all pro-style, I can also land topsy turvy and slam my ship into the pad in just the right spot.
I think somewhere between 50 and 200 times docking, I got all the novelty and enjoyable experience out of it, that I possibly could, for the rest of my life.
I actually have a license for single prop airplanes, so I can tell you, that landing in Elite doesn't quite compete with the real thing.
Ya I bet Elite Dangerous is easier. I would I could get a Pilot license So I could fly. But an illness prevent me from that

So, I'd just like not to loose a slot for it. There's no logical justification.
Elite dangerous it all about choices. Waste a spot for a docking computer that a player choice.

Also: "most commanders eschew" - only FDev could know the true numbers - majority of players from ~2.9 million sold boxes aren't even on the forum.
Ya they could be on Steam forum, Facebook or Twitter. Or just play the game.

OP, if you do nothing else with engineers, get yourself up to level 5 with Felicity Farseer (Deciat system) and improve the range of your FSD. It has such important ramifications for improving your enjoyment of the game from hereon that you should make every effort to upgrade your drives. No other engineering is as significant as this.

Admittedly, we are about to enter 3.0, but in the time available get yourself access to her and improve your reputation. You can download exploration data at her location to help improve your rep too.

I have to agree with you with regards to fuel scoop & in particularly the docking computer. Ships of this era are rather intriverted to say the least. But it is the game mechanics so we deal with it. In my minds eye I visualize an old IBM computer taking up a whole room in the early eras of such.

Chief

I somewhat agree...

The docking computers should have been a pay-per-use service offered by the station (scaled by ship size).

Cargo overloading (loading more cargo than you have capacity for) should always have been allowed - where the launch function is blocked until the overload situation is resolved. That would have fairly easily and neatly have solved several issues that to date still haven't been resolved (but mostly will be in the forthcoming Beyond update).

Top Bottom