Are there any more missions like the one for Ram Tah?

Hi folks,
straight forward question: Are there any other missions in Elite that are similar in scope or narrative to the Guardian mission from Ram Tah?

I'm currently busy deciphering the Guardian obelisks and I have to say I quite enjoy the journey. I have much respect for those commanders, who did it "back in the days" with a "rusty old Sidewinder and 4 ly jump range" instead of a carrier to conveniently store the required items. Since my excel sheet is turning more and more green the more lore pieces I discover, I am curious if there is another mission I could embark on next. It doesn't need to be Guardian related. Anything goes.

Additionally, does anyone know if the Lore messages I receive will be transfered into the Codex after completing the mission? It would be a shame if they were lost after 30 days.

Cheers

Hi folks,
straight forward question: Are there any other missions in Elite that are similar in scope or narrative to the Guardian mission from Ram Tah?

I'm currently busy deciphering the Guardian obelisks and I have to say I quite enjoy the journey. I have much respect for those commanders, who did it "back in the days" with a "rusty old Sidewinder and 4 ly jump range" instead of a carrier to conveniently store the required items. Since my excel sheet is turning more and more green the more lore pieces I discover, I am curious if there is another mission I could embark on next. It doesn't need to be Guardian related. Anything goes.

Additionally, does anyone know if the Lore messages I receive will be transfered into the Codex after completing the mission? It would be a shame if they were lost after 30 days.

Cheers
Like the two for Ram Tah, you mean?

Not quite like it at the moment, I think.

There's some cool stuff though, like INRA listening posts, the Formidine Rift / Zurara, Generation ships, Guardian beacons/structures and Thargoid structures for example.

Bummer.
But, yeah, I could start collecting the Generation Ships next (or continue helping with Turning the Wheel for a couple of days again). I was hoping for something more "mission" or "narrative" driven, though.

Like the two for Ram Tah, you mean?

Wait, there's another one? I'm doing the one you automatically receive when docking at any station in Meene ("Decoding the ancient ruins").

You mean clueless missions?
When I received the message from Ram Tah I was excited to have some story content in the game but I quickly realized that it was another clueless content that needs "Google" instead of in game tools to be solved. So screw it...

You have a good point there. I wouldn't even know where to beginn with this mission if it weren't for the Canonn Research Group (shoutout to you most excellent guys!). Let alone finishing this mission within the 30 days time limit.

Then again I am no "purist" who needs to do everything by his own, so I gladly pick up knowledge and expertise from those who have traveled that particular road before me.

Wait, there's another one? I'm doing the one you automatically receive when docking at any station in Meene ("Decoding the ancient ruins").
Yup. "Decrypting the Guardian logs"... you get it from either Mitchell dock or weber dock in meene.

Edit. Actually, spoilers, unless you're happy to hear them. Some CRCRs will be handy for this one, and be ready to fight in your srv.

[...]

Is that mission no longer bugged?

There's also "Decrypting the Guardian Logs" which is more fun imho, but a bit more dangerous and requires you to gather some interesting items (or I guess buy them at a carrier nowadays).

Yup. "Decrypting the Guardian logs"... you get it from either Mitchell dock or weber dock in meene.

Edit. Actually, spoilers, unless you're happy to hear them. Some CRCRs will be handy for this one, and be ready to fight in your srv.

Is that mission no longer bugged?

There's also "Decrypting the Guardian Logs" which is more fun imho, but a bit more dangerous and requires you to gather some interesting items (or I guess buy them at a carrier nowadays).

Sounds like I am confusing two different missions here.

I already probed Thargoid Interceptors for tissue samples and stored them in my carrier for later use. As far as I understand it, there are a few (5 or so) lore pieces that will require Thargoid items to unlock. I thought this is part of "Decoding the ancient ruins"

You mean clueless missions?
When I received the message from Ram Tah I was excited to have some story content in the game but I quickly realized that it was another clueless content that needs "Google" instead of in game tools to be solved. So screw it...
There were clues. Galnet provided them.

The original Ram Tah mission was only supposed to be around for a limited time.

It did provide story content during the time it was supposed to apply to.

However, when it came round to time to remove the mission there was an outcry so they left it in the game.

They also then made changes in 3.0 to make it completely solvable in-game.

The only thing you need to know which wasn’t provided at that point is the general area of space to look in on the Galmap.

I’ve not checked since the Codex was introduced in 3.3, but I’d imagine the area of space to look at can be derived from there.

Hi folks,

Cheers
Storing the items was never really an issue.

The big challenge was that sites didn’t appear on any ship-based scanners! And which systems to look in wasn’t known! 😉

Sounds like I am confusing two different missions here.

I already probed Thargoid Interceptors for tissue samples and stored them in my carrier for later use. As far as I understand it, there are a few (5 or so) lore pieces that will require Thargoid items to unlock. I thought this is part of "Decoding the ancient ruins"
Yeah... Sounds like you are.

"Decoding the ancient ruins" has you going around "Ancient ruin " sites. There's three main variants, though there's different configurations of each. You need to collect 101 scans, and you only require guardian items found in the sites.

"Decrypting the Guardian logs" has you go to "guardian structure" sites. You'll need to fight, and you'll need those other not- guardian items (too lazy to use spoilers on phone). There's about 30- odd scans. You'll also be able to activate some of these structures for guardian blueprint fragments.

Both are available in Meene, but are offered at different stations. Decoding is at the (Coriolis?) Station in Meene, and Decrypting at the outposts.

Both the missions are documented on the Canonn site OP - if you found the first you should be able to find the second ;)

Only thing that's changed recently is that Thargoid Probes are a bit harder to find in the wild (though I'm sure they are available for sale on many FC). Personally I prefer the second one because it needs more preparation, but many give up before they even get the required goods (sounds like you are ok for samples, so should be fine) :)

Imagine if we could rummage through older Galnet articles in-game, I'd do it in a heart beat to avoid having to resort to alt-tabbing for stuff that happened even just a few weeks or months ago, let alone years.
Even the 3rd party tools are poor for Galnet - searching seems really only supported via google AFAIK

What Jmanis just said.

Other - theres none as detailed or consistent. There is a whole hidden lore background story that you put together from dozens of bits of info spread all over, but most of that is 2-3 stages and self-contained, then you find another and do that bit, and it may or may not link at that time, or ever :) Best one I've found was 6-7 stages iirc, one story told across it and pure lore which leads to one of the lore locations in game along with R and the TG (retcon admittedly but its there).

Theres a couple of interesting ones that get you going somewhere to interact with something but...one just ends with no ending and one is bugged at the far end or was time limited and just ends but this time with an ending. Both are a bit, 'Oh was that it?'

I havent done Ram Tah missions, wasnt confident they werent still bugged so will now give them a go...soon, definitely higher on the to do list now: :) Last time I got both together in one docking in Meene.

Edit: Will double check that both missions at one station thing as dev below has clarified they shouldnt be so go with that to make sure you get both.

Last edited:
A personal bugbear of mine.

"Galnet! Limited time offer! Grab your info while hot!"

Imagine if we could rummage through older Galnet articles in-game, I'd do it in a heart beat to avoid having to resort to alt-tabbing for stuff that happened even just a few weeks or months ago, let alone years.
A fair point in general. The lack of it doesn't really represent an issue in this specific context due to the nature of the particular mission, as the Galnet articles were coming as and when needed during the time period the mission was supposed to apply to. Again, a good point in general though.

I did ask in one of the pre 3.3 livestreams whether an in-game Galnet archive was in the pipeline, and the answer at the time (from Adam B-W, IIRC) was no.

A shame, and certainly something I'd like to see them reconsider.

Having said that, I doubt they'd be able to implement something in-game that I could use as effectively as I can search for Galnet articles out of game, so not sure how much use I'd make of it personally. It'd still be good to have in-game though even if it's primary function is only to give a nod to newer players that there is a vast array of old Galnet articles they can read through.

Dominic Corner

Mostly Harmless Programmer
Frontier
Both are available in Meene, but are offered at different stations. Decoding is at the (Coriolis?) Station in Meene, and Decrypting at the outposts.

Hi there,

This is correct, the original Ram Tah mission, "Decoding the Ancient Ruins", is available at Felice Dock (was previously available at all ports in Meene but restricted when the second mission was added), the second, "Decrypting the Guardian Logs" is available everywhere else in Meene.

Thanks,
Dom

Hi there,

This is correct, the original Ram Tah mission, "Decoding the Ancient Ruins", is available at Felice Dock (was previously available at all ports in Meene but restricted when the second mission was added), the second, "Decrypting the Guardian Logs" is available everywhere else in Meene.

Thanks,
Dom

do we get any small seismic charges for completing this mission?

Deleted member 182079

D
A fair point in general. The lack of it doesn't really represent an issue in this specific context due to the nature of the particular mission, as the Galnet articles were coming as and when needed during the time period the mission was supposed to apply to. Again, a good point in general though.

I did ask in one of the pre 3.3 livestreams whether an in-game Galnet archive was in the pipeline, and the answer at the time (from Adam B-W, IIRC) was no.

A shame, and certainly something I'd like to see them reconsider.

Having said that, I doubt they'd be able to implement something in-game that I could use as effectively as I can search for Galnet articles out of game, so not sure how much use I'd make of it personally. It'd still be good to have in-game though even if it's primary function is only to give a nod to newer players that there is a vast array of old Galnet articles they can read through.
Yeah it was more a general comment as opposed to specific to this particular case. There were some hints in past articles that included locations - just imagine being able to directly select those from the article to shortcut directly to the galmap, what a neat little QoL improvement that would be. Especially for consolieros.

Pretty awesome, thanks a lot guys. I read both articles from the Canonn Research Group, but I thought that was just two different articles about the same mission :) When I'm done with the current mission, I will return to Meene and get the next one (and hand in some already acquired module blueprints at a nearby Tech Dealer while I'm at it ;) ).

Just as a side note, I already own a fair share of Guardian weapons and modules, I just never did the "official" Guardian "lore mission" :D

Top Bottom