Ships Are these ships utterly useless, or am I missing something here?

A list of ships that frankly, I don't understand what you're supposed to do with:
  • Keelback
  • Adder
  • Federal Dropship
  • Type 10
  • Alliance Challenger (the one with the fighter bay)
Its a horribly long list imo. Everything I can think to do with each one of these ships, is better done by something else. Anyone fancy calling out what I'm missing about these ships, that somehow redeems them?

Last edited:
Keelback - cheapest ship with SLF ...better miner than type-6 because enough hardpoints. Fancy animation on the thrusters
Adder - cheapest mult-icrew and multipurpose ship. With enhanced thrusters it's real pleasure to fly it despite the claustrophobic cockpit. Engine sounds are amazing, hats down!

FDS - is a pass
FGS - damn that's an overflow of daka-daka (put all MCs and try it)
Type-10 - is just chunky type-9 ....if you are not for the extra cargo it is better option for every application of type-9. Note: for combat it is a common noobtrap
Alliance Challenger is very useful ship but you talk about Crusader because of the SLF. So yeah, the only purpose for this is if you want the look of alliance ships and want an SLF

I am surprised you missed the Asp Scout.... I was shocked when I saw an actual commander flying this useless ship in Open

I can forgive the ASP Scout purely on the merit of its price tag. It really is awful though, I agree. I'm glad I asked about the gunship, as I posted this up a few places and the consensus is for me to come back to it now I can fly FA off and fit it with all the MC's. I've edited it out of the OP as a result

...Anyone fancy calling out what I'm missing about these ships...
Hmmm... everything?

The choice of ships is a matter of personal taste. You're not supposed to do anything with them, you just get the choice to do something with them.

Keelback and Crusader if you want to use an SLF.
Adder is a cheap small ship with reasonable armaments for its size. Best pirate ship south of a Cobra.
Keelback and Adder are also the cheapest small ships that can actually do core mining, due to the medium Hardpoint and at least noticeable cargo capacity.
Dropship is the cheapest Federal shoebox with the lowest rank requirements.
Type-10 is a toughened Type-9. If you want an armed trader, this can really mess up any NPC's day.

If you don't want to grind the rank for a Cutter or a Corvette or both (I don't, and after 5 years, I still don't have it on any of my accounts) and aren't interested in the PvP meta of the day, there's nothing wrong with any of them.

None of the ships in your list are terrible. They may not appeal to you, but there are commanders that like them. I upgraded from the sidewinder to the adder when I started playing and felt happy. Just one example. The only really exception I think is the asp scout, which seems to be universally hated and it isn't on your list.

The Alliance Challenger is a great ship, I think the one you reject is the Crusader.

I agree the Dropship is the worst of the Federal ships, the Gunship is obviously the best.

I'm also surprised OP missed the Asp Scout, it really is crap

Out of OP's list I only own and fly T-10.
And I have fun 😁.
My T-10 is all laser turrets,shield and hull. All important stuff(cores, shield, armour, etc.) is g5ed, rest not fully engineered, yet.
My use: HazRes, I fly in slf, fooling around, shooting npcs, while my T-10 actually does the job of killing npc's.
Also usable like that in low cz's.
No problem in medium cz's but there i fly T-10.
As long as i dont have all spec ops or bunch of npc's on me at the same time, I am fine. That's also my "lazy" npc setup.
So that's my use of T-10. Works for me.

the Gunship is obviously the best.

Do you mean the Corvette?

I agree the OP's list features unremarkable ships, but utterly useless is a poor description. Any ship has a role to play and it should come down to what appeals to you, which should not simply be based on numbers or potential, or whether another ship can do it better, but more down to it's vibe. Less about hard numbers and more about your emotional response to its design and features. I owned a Keelback for a long time, and it served a role. I used it as a planetary lander, with SLF and SRV to hunt raws and take joyrides in canyons with the SLF. It's only useless if you can't think of a use for it.

I love flying Couriers in combat. Is it the best combat ship? Of course not. But why should that matter when the Courier has so much appeal to me based on what it is, not whether it's the game's BFG meta.

@sinisalo nope, meant the Gunship! But your point explains why, it just makes me laugh!

I also love the courier, mine is a speedy version, and is essentially ungankable! Many have tried and it's never been destroyed yet!

In many ways I think medium ships are superior to large.
Once i had fun with 2 vette's and i was in all mc's fdl. I couldn't kill them, but they couldn't kill me either. I was all over them and killed every slf they launched. I had so much fun, interdicting them and stuff.
They couldn't do anything about it, so they logged out or to pg. Fun times.
So i wouldn't call vette superior to gunship.
It's all about cmdr's skill and preferances/roleplay.

A list of ships that frankly, I don't understand what you're supposed to do with:
  • Keelback
  • Adder
  • Federal Dropship
  • Type 10
  • Alliance Challenger (the one with the fighter bay)
Its a horribly long list imo. Everything I can think to do with each one of these ships, is better done by something else. Anyone fancy calling out what I'm missing about these ships, that somehow redeems them?

- Adder. Tremendous little ship. Very useful. Great multipurpose and not a bad explorer, has also good combat characteristics.

- FDS. Excellent and cheap multipurpose & combat ship. Big bang for your buck. Has great survivability.

- Keelback & Alliance Crusader

Top Bottom