Ships Are these ships utterly useless, or am I missing something here?

To appreciate any ship for what it is you have to spend a good bit of time flying one.

The biggest problem with ship hierarchy in the current game is simply the over abundance of credits. Many of the ships you’ve listed here just don’t translate financially anymore...

At one time it was very difficult to jump the gap between the cheaper ships and the more expensive ones. AspX -> Python being one of the more famous examples...

During this time the option to fly a Keelback with an SLF was a good move for players who wanted an SLF. Otherwise you’d have to grind rank and make enough credits to run a Federal Gunship, a very time consuming task.

The Federal Dropship is actually a complete beast. It has better cargo capacity than the AspX and a set of hardpoints that are comparable to an FDL. This made it a surprisingly good option when credits were harder to earn, you could move cargo and take down targets with extreme firepower.

Flying a Python was a groundbreaking achievement and an Anaconda was basically the end game content like FC’s are now.

TLDR
Many of the games ships have been relegated into museum exhibits. To a new player there is no notable practical or financial benefit to using them.

The Alliance Challenger is a great ship, I think the one you reject is the Crusader.

I agree the Dropship is the worst of the Federal ships, the Gunship is obviously the best.

I'm also surprised OP missed the Asp Scout, it really is crap
I guess I have to spank your FGS with my Dropship again.
"Obviously the best" bah humbug.
FDS for the win.

I always said the same things about the imperial Clipper.. Its pretty.. but useless.. doesn't hold enough cargo to be a good mining ship.. doesn't jump far enough to be a good explorer.. doesn't have enough hardpoints to be a good fighter.. I can name a lot of other ships that do everything better than the Clipper.. but it is pretty.

FDS for the win.

Bring it on! 😀 Although in fairness my point was not that its the best, but that its the most fun!

I'm fairly certain my Mamba is a far better ship than my FGS, that my Chally is somewhere in the middle.

But a test should be had to be sure... Are you in the bubble right now? Or Colonia?

FDS for the win.
DA27B57A-DA90-4B90-B3FA-FC9D59A1FCC6.jpeg

I only have to look at this and I fall in love all over again...

I might actually get this blown up and printed.

I always said the same things about the imperial Clipper.. Its pretty.. but useless.. doesn't hold enough cargo to be a good mining ship.. doesn't jump far enough to be a good explorer.. doesn't have enough hardpoints to be a good fighter.. I can name a lot of other ships that do everything better than the Clipper.. but it is pretty.

But the Clipper is a born pirate vessel, it begs you to be bad when flying it.

Clipper: Do naughty things then leave quickly. Very quickly.
'Aw poop, someone's aggro'd the Thargoid!'
'But there's no one else here!'
Bwahahahah :D ✊

Its like that smooth voice in your head while eating biscuits.

"Jussssst oonne more....no one will knowww, will they? Go on.............they taste soooooo goood."

A list of ships that frankly, I don't understand what you're supposed to do with:
  • Keelback
  • Adder
  • Federal Dropship
  • Type 10
  • Alliance Challenger (the one with the fighter bay)
Its a horribly long list imo. Everything I can think to do with each one of these ships, is better done by something else. Anyone fancy calling out what I'm missing about these ships, that somehow redeems them?
Engineering changes all those ships drastically. IMO only the Federal ship is rubbish out of the box but that's just my opinion.
A lot of the ships in your list are (as I suspect) aimed at beginners who can't afford the "better ships" as you put it.

What ship is better than the T10 at its purpose? Only the T9 IMO and only by having an extra class 8 slot. The T10 is miles better than the T9 in every way except for the extra slot. I'd rather by flying round in a tank rather than a wet paper bag.

When we fly in a wing we have a saying "All Clippers are dirty" as we sort the wanted ships from the law-abiding. And it's true. Every Clipper we come across is wanted :)

^^^^ The truth. All Clipper pilots will steal your wife, your kidneys and your soul given half a chance.

G'Day Commanders...
Here are my thoughts if anyone cares to read them. Be warned my thoughts can cause dementia.

Keelback
is a dream to fly IMO, wish it had a bit more cargo space but it is Ideal for new players as well as older players for a small transport, light missions etc...

Adder
I have used in various roles but it still remains best as a stepping stone for new players.

FDS
I use mine for mining believe it or not. Deep core, surface or laser it runs them all efficiently with some dist. eng. it holds just enough cargo that I'm ready to quit mining when I'm full. Extremely maneuverable in the asteroids.

T-10
Expensive AF, I don't personally use one but a guy in our squadron does as a tank in CZ's and the rest of us run support. Works great and no slouch when it comes to fire power!

Challenger
Had one, sold it. Not that it was bad, I just felt the Chieftain was more maneuverable and the Crusader has an SLF bay so...

I should add that a lot of these uses, such as my new found reasons for an asp and sidewinder, are due to FC's making them viable.
An asp is a great scout ship when landing in a new system for a quick scan etc... and the sidewinder with an SRV bay can land anywhere... literally.
Having all ships available on a carrier without the need to transfer them or have high jump range capabilities really expanded their uses. It would be nice if they opened up a dedicated cargo slot though on ships deemed "cargo Haulers" much like they did with military compartments on fighters. Same with exploratory ships... why not have extra slots for say... scanners etc...?

Top Bottom