Ships Are these ships utterly useless, or am I missing something here?

I always said the same things about the imperial Clipper.. Its pretty.. but useless.. doesn't hold enough cargo to be a good mining ship.. doesn't jump far enough to be a good explorer.. doesn't have enough hardpoints to be a good fighter.. I can name a lot of other ships that do everything better than the Clipper.. but it is pretty.

The Clipper is faster than any medium ship except a very lightly built Mamba, and it can carry far more cargo at ~600m/s than anything else.

The Phantom fills this niche almost as well, but there is still reasons for people to use the Clipper.

I have 2 Clippers, great stuff. Most luxurious and best view cockpit. Performance is great.
One is ram/frags murdership. Still learning to fly it, great fun.
Other is miner. All toys included, scoop also, 128 t cargo, <1 hour till full. That's all patience i have for mining anyway.
2 frags, oc, corrosive and incendiary and 2 mining lasers.
I drop in spot, ram/frag pirates and mine in imperial luxury 😁
Can outrun any player if things go heavy, not that ever happened.
Clipper, great ship, capable of many roles if you know how to fly it properly.

• Keelback - it's cool in the same way driving a Datsun 510 is cool.
  • Adder - it sounds ridiculously good.
  • Federal Dropship - poor mans Python

There are ships I don't like, but this is because they do not suit my style of flying, and not because the ships are flawed. For example, I hated the T9, but I know of Players who really like it and work well with it.

I would have made classes 1 thru 7
For every 2 classes up can fit inside the cargo? So class 1 can fit inside class 3
To appreciate any ship for what it is you have to spend a good bit of time flying one.

The biggest problem with ship hierarchy in the current game is simply the over abundance of credits. Many of the ships you’ve listed here just don’t translate financially anymore...

At one time it was very difficult to jump the gap between the cheaper ships and the more expensive ones. AspX -> Python being one of the more famous examples...

During this time the option to fly a Keelback with an SLF was a good move for players who wanted an SLF. Otherwise you’d have to grind rank and make enough credits to run a Federal Gunship, a very time consuming task.

The Federal Dropship is actually a complete beast. It has better cargo capacity than the AspX and a set of hardpoints that are comparable to an FDL. This made it a surprisingly good option when credits were harder to earn, you could move cargo and take down targets with extreme firepower.

Flying a Python was a groundbreaking achievement and an Anaconda was basically the end game content like FC’s are now.

TLDR
Many of the games ships have been relegated into museum exhibits. To a new player there is no notable practical or financial benefit to using them.
I agree.
Curious as to how you would fix it given a way to do so. I think frontier should look into re-qualifying outdated ships.
I like the lower tier ships but viability against bigger options tends to win everytime. The Kraits seem to be that tier I hesitate to go lower than.

I would have made classes 1 thru 7
For every 2 classes up can fit inside the cargo? So class 1 can fit inside class 3

I agree.
Curious as to how you would fix it given a way to do so. I think frontier should look into re-qualifying outdated ships.
I like the lower tier ships but viability against bigger options tends to win everytime. The Kraits seem to be that tier I hesitate to go lower than.
It’s incredibly difficult to do so...

If you look at the price of an A rated Crusader for example. It’s around 80m credits for a ship with rather dubious usefulness.
At this point an A rated Krait2 will only cost you 30m more if you run it with a 6A power plant (which is totally do-able) and will serve you much better.

I think many would agree that a Krait2 is 3x the ship that a Crusader is so financially it would make sense for it to be reflected so.... 100m for a Crusader and 300m for a Krait....for example.

Then there’s the rank locked ships. By the time you unlock something like the Federal Gunship or Clipper you’re likely to be already sat in an Anaconda/Python just through playing normally. This somewhat cheapens the players reward for climbing the ranks as you’re faced with ‘new’ ships that you’ve already outgrown for the most part.

So the overall encompassing problem really is with credits. There’s too many. But if we nerf credits how do people get carriers?

The other option is to systematically buff all the ships that could do with a leg up.

• Give the Dropship a better FSD so it can jump and fit its true role as a multipurpose ship.

• Give the Asp Scout 4 medium hardpoints to make it unique and properly reflect its tier amongst the smaller ships.

• Give the Keelback its missing class 4 optional internal back!

• Sort the optional internals out on the Crusader/Challenger....they suck.

But then most of the time the players can’t even agree on how a ship should be balanced....so how are FD meant to sort it.

The Clipper is faster than any medium ship except a very lightly built Mamba, and it can carry far more cargo at ~600m/s than anything else.

The Phantom fills this niche almost as well, but there is still reasons for people to use the Clipper.
no
vs

See speed and movement profile:
8-22-75 209 (Phantom)
15-33-65 244 (Clipper)

The whole Clipper problem is in hard points. Mixing weapons :(

Last edited:
• Give the Dropship a better FSD so it can jump and fit its true role as a multipurpose ship.
After entering the game FC, FSD lost any meaning. Well, you can abbris from the engineer at 2 distances and that's it. Any amplifiers of the FSD guards are now definitely not needed, just jump FC where you need to.

After entering the game FC, FSD lost any meaning. Well, you can abbris from the engineer at 2 distances and that's it. Any amplifiers of the FSD guards are now definitely not needed, just jump FC where you need to.
?????

A fleet carrier cost 5b credits, far transcending the mere notion of rebalancing low tiered ships to make them more useful. You don’t get a fleet carrier when you first start the game.

That’s quite possibly the weakest argument I’ve ever seen conjured.

Yes, and you want drag drives (which are faster than distributors on almost every non-EPT loadout) on both ships.

I was not implying the Phantom could reach 600m/s (it tops out at 591), but that it could fill a similar niche because it can keep up with, or outpace, any non-small ship, except a Mamba, Clipper, or another Phantom.

I think there's no useless ships. It's all personal preference at the end. Some like only meta ships, some like oddballs.
Some fly one or few ships, some use many.
I personally have 15+ different use ships.
If I have time to play, I fly 5-6 ships per session. I use some ships for HazRes, different for cz's, when doing BGS, depending of the mission, ships range from shieldless traders for maximum capacity to small scanner ships to murderships.
Then I have short range explorer and long range one, for going to deep black.
And utility ships for personal maintenance (gathering raw/enc/man mats, scanning, etc. )
Still don't have thargoid build, on my list, but I'm currently in Colonia, so that will wait for now.
So so many ships to build, tweek, play with we have.
Have fun with them, be creative in your builds.
And I like variety.

Edit: forgot to mention few pvp builds, thats something I would like to engage more

A list of ships that frankly, I don't understand what you're supposed to do with:
  • Keelback
  • Adder
  • Federal Dropship
  • Type 10
  • Alliance Challenger (the one with the fighter bay)
Its a horribly long list imo. Everything I can think to do with each one of these ships, is better done by something else. Anyone fancy calling out what I'm missing about these ships, that somehow redeems them?

That list exists... because everyone and their mother has a Cutter. Personally i dont.

Keelback - early trade ship for people who are just starting out.
Adder - my second ship as soon as i got rid of the sidey, was amazing and i still have it to this day. Decent all rounder starter.
Type 10 - Superior the the Type 9 at mining in every way. Apart from cargo space. Looks AMAZING - people buy what they like, not what everyone else goes for.
Fed Dropship/Alliance challenger - people may prefer the shape of these instead of the others.

Doesnt matter if something else does it better. I'm not going to go out tomorrow and buy a new car because that new car does something better than mine, no.

Now the only ship that i feel has absolutely no reason to be in the game is the Asp Scout.

Last edited:
If a ship is useful or useless is highly subjective. The only factual data we have is the Inara list, and that still doesn't tell how often people actually fly the ships they have bought. Though it's reasonable to assume that they at least fly the ones designated as main.

Everything I can think to do with each one of these ships, is better done by something else.

If that is your criteria, then there are only a few ships that you would ever fly. If all you care about is meta, then you just fly those few ships.

All ships can be made usable though for different roles.

Federal Dropship

Its a damn fine medium multirole ship (yes, there are better, but again, see my initial point). Its good for piracy, mining, or anything else where having lots of internals is a boon. Its even a decent combat ship.

However, that's not what i use mine for...

ZoQ6L3u.png

?????

A fleet carrier cost 5b credits, far transcending the mere notion of rebalancing low tiered ships to make them more useful. You don’t get a fleet carrier when you first start the game.

That’s quite possibly the weakest argument I’ve ever seen conjured.
Is FDS available at the first launch of the game ?

Top Bottom