Ships Are these ships utterly useless, or am I missing something here?

Now the only ship that i feel has absolutely no reason to be in the game is the Asp Scout.
besides being CZ, RES cannon fodder other than that the Scout is pretty useless in hands of a cmdr. Expensive, weak, lacking of punch. Smaller, faster and cheper Cobra can do everything better than the Scout does.

OP
I have a friend who cannot see past his mazda Mx5, I can't see past my M5.

Each to their own. Go Figure.

besides being CZ, RES cannon fodder other than that the Scout is pretty useless in hands of a cmdr. Expensive, weak, lacking of punch. Smaller, faster and cheper Cobra can do everything better than the Scout does.

I am going to disagree here. Suitably armoured or shielded (I prefer armour) The ASP scout will have a much greater punch than any Cobra (I assume you mean MK III) loadout. The grouping of the weapons plus the use of a class 4 PD allows for a much harder hitting and sustained weapon profile. And given the agility of the ASP over the cobra you will just turn, point and shoot at the cobra. Will more armour to absorb returning fire.
In a straight up DPS race the only thing the cobra will be able to do to the ASP scout is run away...

Now obviously in this instance the players and tactics involved would be a much greater factor in the engagement.

I've just finished preparing the Keelback for damaged station rescue and I'm surprised how cool she is. Much cooler than AspX/DBX of which I thought as the coolest available ships. I engineered everything I could for low emission/clean drives/thermal spread and, for example, flying 8 km into the coriolis station on silent running increases the heat from 14% to... 20-22%, depending on amount of course corrections I make.

Haven't tried her in actual damaged station yet, but she looks really promising so far.

P.S. My Cmdr never sells his ships and likes to reuse them instead, even if it means they are not the best option available for a given purpose. That's why he wants to use Keelback for rescues but not Python/Orca/whatever. :)

Last edited:
I've just finished preparing the Keelback for damaged station rescue and I'm surprised how cool she is. Much cooler than AspX/DBX of which I thought as the coolest available ships. I engineered everything I could for low emission/clean drives/thermal spread and, for example, flying 8 km into the coriolis station on silent running increases the heat from 14% to... 20-22%, depending on amount of course corrections I make.

Haven't tried her in actual damaged station yet, but she looks really promising so far.

P.S. My Cmdr never sells his ships and likes to reuse them instead, even if it means they are not the best option available for a given purpose. That's why he wants to use Keelback for rescues but not Python/Orca/whatever. :)

Keelback is a very cool running ship. Depending on how quickly you can dock up you may not need a heatsink for the damaged stations... I usually fit one anyways as it just makes it so much easier.

Frontier should release more cr@p ships which, with dedicated engineering (and cmdr's masochism) could be made useful, fun, challenging. Something with massive weapon potential but no distributor so becomes one-hit wonder, or something similar with the engines: super fast one-time only. Corvette variant with 4 SLF but no weapons etc. A viper/courier/vulture with all the weapons and speed but no shield or hull. It's a shame that integrity isnt more of an issue in over-engineered modules; something really, really good but which broke down constantly would be hilarious.

I believe there is a player with a souped up Adder who does things like shoot through the mail slot at speed sideways, FA off and similar amazing feats of flying. If I could fly like that I would have one just for the fun of it.
I have 4 Clippers. One is a core miner, decent cargo space all the needed mining gear and some weapons for self defence. Another is a mat gatherer with collector limpets and a wake scanner. A third with collector and hatch breaker limpets for hostage rescue missions. The final one is an all frag bounty hunter for HazRes. I love flying the Clipper and as has been stated she is a thing of beauty.

Adder is also the cheapest ship able to store a class 2 weapon (+ 2 class 1), which is usefull when you reach the maximum number of modules in storage

I have 4 Clippers. One is a core miner, decent cargo space all the needed mining gear and some weapons for self defence. Another is a mat gatherer with collector limpets and a wake scanner. A third with collector and hatch breaker limpets for hostage rescue missions. The final one is an all frag bounty hunter for HazRes. I love flying the Clipper and as has been stated she is a thing of beauty.
I will only get one if it is reclassified into a size Medium ship.

I believe there is a player with a souped up Adder who does things like shoot through the mail slot at speed sideways, FA off and similar amazing feats of flying. If I could fly like that I would have one just for the fun of it.
You have me beat.
I only have three. :)

Keelback - cheapest ship with SLF ...better miner than type-6 because enough hardpoints. Fancy animation on the thrusters
Adder - cheapest mult-icrew and multipurpose ship. With enhanced thrusters it's real pleasure to fly it despite the claustrophobic cockpit. Engine sounds are amazing, hats down!

FDS - is a pass
FGS - damn that's an overflow of daka-daka (put all MCs and try it)
Type-10 - is just chunky type-9 ....if you are not for the extra cargo it is better option for every application of type-9. Note: for combat it is a common noobtrap
Alliance Challenger is very useful ship but you talk about Crusader because of the SLF. So yeah, the only purpose for this is if you want the look of alliance ships and want an SLF

I am surprised you missed the Asp Scout.... I was shocked when I saw an actual commander flying this useless ship in Open
Lol I was entirely with you (I have a Keelback explorer owing to the SLF, and trade in a T10, love both), I have one of every ship and agree with the lot... until the last sentence. I love my little Asp Scout, jumps 50ly, boosts plenty, went to Colonia and back in it, have had some adventures in that little ship. And yes I fly in Open. It lands anywhere, is really nimble, tiny rebuy, fast, use it for mats gathering and mission running. I have Phantoms, Corvettes, Cutters, all of it, but keep coming back to the Scout. With all the engineers unlocked it's a fun little thing. My favourite.

Lol I was entirely with you (I have a Keelback explorer owing to the SLF, and trade in a T10, love both), I have one of every ship and agree with the lot... until the last sentence. I love my little Asp Scout, jumps 50ly, boosts plenty, went to Colonia and back in it, have had some adventures in that little ship. And yes I fly in Open. It lands anywhere, is really nimble, tiny rebuy, fast, use it for mats gathering and mission running. I have Phantoms, Corvettes, Cutters, all of it, but keep coming back to the Scout. With all the engineers unlocked it's a fun little thing. My favourite.
Oh, I've seen an AspS in Open once ... I was so shocked. Might that been you?
Anyway, you fly what you enjoy ... but the facts are that it is totally outclassed by AspX. The only category AspS is better is in agility - pitch, roll , yaw and for that it pays dearly with jump range, speed/boost and utility.

Anyway, you fly what you enjoy ... but the facts are that it is totally outclassed by AspX. The only category AspS is better is in agility - pitch, roll , yaw and for that it pays dearly with jump range, speed/boost and utility.
I agree with that, but I'm not fussed about a meta ship, more about an enough ship. My Asp jumps almost 50ly, boost will crack 400 and it has an SRV bay. I much prefer the look of it when out in the SRV, and I like the view out from the cockpit more, so it works for me. I have a Phantom if I need to go further with more kit, and all the other ships, but there's something about the Scout which I prefer to the DBX. I even convince myself it sounds better! Could well have been me - I'm often out in the Scout, hoping that a player FDL won't decide to fish for a minnow. I'm 'Dangerous' and I think the idea of an Asp Scout pilot being labelled dangerous might well entice someone to test my mettle (it has no guns, so that test would prove a challenge...)

Well for what I do in game and what I like the Scout outperforms the Explorer. I want the agility, boost profile and oversized PD for my weapon systems.

'Facts' are just numbers and do not convey performance to how it actually flies... proven directly by the Cobra III vs the Viper IV and the I-eagle v Viper III etc. Numbers are just that and do not show how it performs.

Outclassed? No as far as I'm concerned :D

And yes it might well have been me you saw in Open - the rebuy on the Asp is peanuts so I'll pop in and out of Shinrarta, engineers' bases, anywhere in it.

And yes it might well have been me you saw in Open - the rebuy on the Asp is peanuts so I'll pop in and out of Shinrarta, engineers' bases, anywhere in it.
I've checked your Queen's Gambit .... either the quality of ganking on XBox is not existent or you are extremely lucky.
404m/s boost speed and 117MJ raw shields will not save you from anyone. And no, it couldn't be you - I am on PC.

I've checked your Queen's Gambit .... either the quality of ganking on XBox is not existent or you are extremely lucky.
404m/s boost speed and 117MJ raw shields will not save you from anyone. And no, it couldn't be you - I am on PC.
Lol I never claimed it was a combat build, and if anyone in a combat ship wanted to make a fight of it there's nothing I could do with shields that would make any difference anyway - the top end for shields on an Asp Scout still wouldn't stop a combat ganker in a fight, would it? It's a ship built for one, and in which I spend a lot of time, so I wanted it to be fast enough to enjoy, to handle well, still have decent sensors and have an SRV. It isn't geared to be best at anything other than what I want to do. (It has the power plant from another ship at the moment as was doing some swapping around on another build, plus it loaned its G5 thrusters out temporarily, too, so the usual boost speed is more entertaining) so that current configuration is sub-optimal. But in any case, do you really think that upping the shields would be the difference maker? I go with what @Madrax573 said, personally. I'm not particularly lucky, there are plenty of gankers on Xbox in the usual places (although they can't cheat as they can on PC), but I have only been successfully ganked three times: twice in a T6, once in a Cutter. Other than that I have been fine (although one of the mad rammers outside Jameson once nearly got my Courier!). So I'm not sure that you're challenging a point that I'm making. I'm sorry if you're finding that you need to shield tank your light builds to survive in the choppy PC waters. Maybe get yourself on YouTube and look for some tips.

EDIT: And yes I see that we simply have a different philosophy. I looked at your Jinn, the closest comparison to my ship as it's also an Asp, albeit an X, and you call it a medium explorer, yet it packs prismatics, shield boosters and Guardian shield reinforcement. To me that's only a ship for a particularly paranoid explorer, and I'd rather a bit more variety, so we're just coming at it from a different viewpoint. The joy of a sandbox game, space for all approaches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom