Ships Are these ships utterly useless, or am I missing something here?

EDIT: And yes I see that we simply have a different philosophy. I looked at your Jinn, the closest comparison to my ship as it's also an Asp, albeit an X, and you call it a medium explorer, yet it packs prismatics, shield boosters and Guardian shield reinforcement. To me that's only a ship for a particularly paranoid explorer, and I'd rather a bit more variety, so we're just coming at it from a different viewpoint. The joy of a sandbox game, space for all approaches.
I guess the general cardboard build explorer will call it a tank :D

I guess the general cardboard build explorer will call it a tank :D
Lol at cutting off the first part of my post where I answered your point, and I never called it a tank. It's just a different philosophy from my build. I was perfectly pleasant, yet am suddenly thinking that you don't want a constructive exchange.

You should really try AspX. For just 2.7mil more on top of AspS price, it is faster , stronger more versatile.
Yes had one and sold it, jsut didn't get along with it. I don't like the fins on the back at all. I have a Phantom, also a Keelback, as well as a T7 for exploration, and sometimes refit the Clipper for exploration, so am not lacking for space when I need it. I use my Phantom a lot, so am not feeling the need for another slightly larger explorer. Just love the Scout!

(Plus I prefer the handling and view in the Scout)

Last edited:
A list of ships that frankly, I don't understand what you're supposed to do with:
  • Keelback
  • Adder
  • Federal Dropship
  • Type 10
  • Alliance Challenger (the one with the fighter bay)
Its a horribly long list imo. Everything I can think to do with each one of these ships, is better done by something else. Anyone fancy calling out what I'm missing about these ships, that somehow redeems them?
Keelback is good for being a cheap armored transport due to its SLF.

The adder is a stepping stone to the Cobra mk3 but has the option of using Enhanced Performance thrusters. (I've seriously seen these things hit 700 before)

Federal Dropship: I've never flown one so i can't say. I would theorize it might do well at at smuggling since the federal ships are famous for being good hull tanks.

Type 10: slap 4 large AX turrets on that puppy and she will shred thargoid scouts. In the same token it can make a good support ship for AX combat zones.

Challenger is pretty useful as a more armored chieftain. I've used one for piracy and soloing thargoid interceptors.

Asp scout: no you didn't list it but I'm adding it anway. It's good for stealth pirating faction installations and megaships.

You should really try AspX. For just 2.7mil more on top of AspS price, it is faster , stronger more versatile.

And will die to an Asp scout just as easily :)

TBH the only thing an Asp-X will do over a scout is run away as it handles trash at the best of times. The ability to turn on a dime is why the scout gets my vote.

The Explorer requires a small moon to use gravity to turn with any measure of speed :D

More versatile if deffo there as the explorer was for a long time to stepping stone between the small ships and the large mediums like python. But again you fly what you like and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I can forgive the ASP Scout purely on the merit of its price tag.

The Asp Scout is ludicrously agile both in SC and normal space, and is the only ship with a 2s2m config and a C4 PD. It has a pretty long range, and can fit all tools needed for whatever you want.

You are looking at it backwards. The Asp Scout is great fun to fly and it can do tons of things. What do I care if other ships can do something 'better'? It's a game, not a job, and the point is to have fun.

And the Asp Scout and Adder are loads of fun.

Yeah, I know this is slightly necro now. I didn't see one ship in particular mentioned or added to the original list.
A seat cushion with rusty tacks sticking out, is more useful than the Hauler. Nothing else in Elite D is more MEH.

SR o7

Problem with the it has all the looks for ED universe but it's too starter to do anything else...frontier needs to make a competitive version!!!

TRIPLE EVERYTHING
Fair point. But it can likely take an SRV bay, so could be a fun alternative mats gatherer. I have a Sidewinder named 'Election Fever' which I use only for election poll data missions. Long jump range and pretty quick, lots of fun. There's always a use for a different ship. But I take your point. Plenty of other snake names out there, unused, I'd ike a full set. Boa is top of the list! We could also do with a Gecko.

Yeah, I know this is slightly necro now. I didn't see one ship in particular mentioned or added to the original list.
A seat cushion with rusty tacks sticking out, is more useful than the Hauler. Nothing else in Elite D is more MEH.

SR o7

Haulers are quite good at being a Bubble Taxi. Extremely cheap to ship anywhere, with a great jump-range to move you around (especially when paired with extra fuel tanks and a FSD Booster).

Haulers are quite good at being a Bubble Taxi. Extremely cheap to ship anywhere, with a great jump-range to move you around (especially when paired with extra fuel tanks and a FSD Booster).
Exactly how I used it too(moved to Colonia, everything is in fuel range of any ship here so sitting in garage currently), jumps 50ly, cheap to move around.

Sure I can also do dbx or dolphin or any other ship with long jump and credits are no problem anyway to most commanders, but I like to fly different ships, build more for my mood then for specific role.

I used it for purpose above as a new cmdr a lot, best in class for that I think.

True, but they're also death traps. I'd reconsider if it got a second C1 hardpoint and a slight increase to base shield and boost speed stats. But IMHO, it's the ultimate Meh. Although, I have wondered just how long a Hauler would last in CMDR Exigeous's Sidewinder fights, lol.

Happy Holidays!
SR o7

True, but they're also death traps. I'd reconsider if it got a second C1 hardpoint and a slight increase to base shield and boost speed stats. But IMHO, it's the ultimate Meh. Although, I have wondered just how long a Hauler would last in CMDR Exigeous's Sidewinder fights, lol.

Happy Holidays!
SR o7

About 10 seconds lol.

Honestly who cares if they are death traps... the rebuy for mine (with the Size 3 FSD Booster) is still less than 60,000 credits. Heck, getting blown up usually means a faster trip to the station you're going to anyways. XD

Top Bottom