Ships Are these ships utterly useless, or am I missing something here?

Not really a death trap. Although those canyon walls can be nasty...

Changing the mod on capacitor also makes shields recharge time much better...for no real loss in boost advantage..

Last edited:
Two hardpoints are no hardpoints...imo no ship should have less than four!

Having less makes you an incompetent beggar errand boy....Marty mcfly and Biff reborn.
if I catch you with monies I think that's weighing you down I'm going to be the bigger man and relieve you of that burden?

A list of ships that frankly, I don't understand what you're supposed to do with:
  • Keelback
  • Adder
  • Federal Dropship
  • Type 10
  • Alliance Challenger (the one with the fighter bay)
Its a horribly long list imo. Everything I can think to do with each one of these ships, is better done by something else. Anyone fancy calling out what I'm missing about these ships, that somehow redeems them?

Concerning the Federal Dropship, it mines so good I wanna marry it!

The federal dropship is the cheapest ship that has five medium-or-larger hardpoints. Only the Anaconda, Type-10, and Cutter have more.

So if you want to strap a ludicrous GPU-melting quantity of packhounds to something and perform a macross missile massacre on a budget, the dropship's your ship.
(it's also considerably cheaper than using T10s as powerplay weapon storage for the same reason)

I just happened to post something about my ship selection before I saw yours. You will notice I have 2 of the ships from your bad ship list. Alliance Crusader and Federal Dropship.
When you compare ship to ship, yes there are far better ships which can fulfil the roles of these ships can. You will see my reasoning for selecting the ships I like in my posting. But to boil it down here:
1. I Hate snake named ship!
2. I really Hate snake named ship!
3. I very much like the Alliance ship design and no snake name
4. I like the dropship because it can do what the crusader cant such as mining, hauling and no snake name.
5. I like to take something unusable and make it usable in any way or shape or form.

If there were no dropship and crusader in the game, trust me, I would be forcing myself to do everything in the DBX as this is the only snake named ship I am willing to tolerate. :D

I think it all comes down to I use these bad ships, simply because I genuinely like them and grow fond of them and perhaps because of all the bad things people say about them.

I just happened to post something about my ship selection before I saw yours. You will notice I have 2 of the ships from your bad ship list. Alliance Crusader and Federal Dropship.
When you compare ship to ship, yes there are far better ships which can fulfil the roles of these ships can. You will see my reasoning for selecting the ships I like in my posting. But to boil it down here:
1. I Hate snake named ship!
2. I really Hate snake named ship!
3. I very much like the Alliance ship design and no snake name
4. I like the dropship because it can do what the crusader cant such as mining, hauling and no snake name.
5. I like to take something unusable and make it usable in any way or shape or form.

If there were no dropship and crusader in the game, trust me, I would be forcing myself to do everything in the DBX as this is the only snake named ship I am willing to tolerate. :D

I think it all comes down to I use these bad ships, simply because I genuinely like them and grow fond of them and perhaps because of all the bad things people say about them.
Didn't you play Elite 1? Ships with the snake name are classic ships from Elite 1, later in Frontier and FFE were added other ships but they are no longer classics !

Greetings,

I use an engineered Hauler as a taxi to get around to maneuver my other ships in the bubble. Fly an expensive ship somewhere then transfer the Hauler to pick me up. Back to my home world or Fleet Carrier then fly another expensive ship for my current interests. It is pretty cheap to transfer a Hauler. Not so much with a combat Cutter or Corvette.

The Adder is an upgrade to the Hauler. Heck they both look the same that only an experienced player could ID without targeting them looking at the left panel. The Adder's maneuverability is the same with the Hauler as well as other common parameters. Look them up on Coriolis. Engineered it is a little slower at 569m/s boost versus the Hauler with 639m/s light build. The Adder makes 41 LY jumps while the Hauler does 49.5 LY.

Meanwhile the Adder adds more optional internals say as in a hangar and an SRV if desired. It is a lot more serious in weapons. My Hauler has an efficient beam with thermal vent. My Adder has engineered weapons with the Imperial Hammer with two Cytoscramblers with Point Defense on both of them. It won't win PvP battles but new players going for making fast credits in a REZ with the support of authority ships then taking the kill shot to get paid an Adder will do this without engineering. Not so much for a Hauler.

The point is that all the ships in ED were designed for the player to figure out how to use them at their current level of game play. The more a player learns and becomes a better pilot they will apply those skills to the next ship...and the next ship WILL be different! Without patience or learning these skills some will be destroyed purchasing a new Anaconda then going back to a Sidewinder. Frontier was pretty brilliant at this.

I posted on the Adder that the OP suggested might be useless. Do I have to post on the other four? Sorry, I'm busy...

Regards

Image1.jpg

Last edited:
Hooplah you must not have modified your adder very much mate. Mine does 745m/s under boost and still jumps around 50lyr! Perfect for a bubble taxi :)

Hooplah you must not have modified your adder very much mate. Mine does 745m/s under boost and still jumps around 50lyr! Perfect for a bubble taxi :)
Yes 745m/s boost is easy going light with an Adder. I added engineered weapons and some shielding. It slows it down a lot.

Last edited:
Didn't you play Elite 1? Ships with the snake name are classic ships from Elite 1, later in Frontier and FFE were added other ships but they are no longer classics !
I came across ED last year when I was desperately looking for a space based VR game after I got my Oculus Rift S. By Elite 1 I assume you were referring 1984 Elite? I wasn't aware of snake named ships being classics.

I came across ED last year when I was desperately looking for a space based VR game after I got my Oculus Rift S. By Elite 1 I assume you were referring 1984 Elite? I wasn't aware of snake named ships being classics.
Well the only ship you could fly in the original Elite was the Cobra. A lot of the current snake ships were there and some that didn’t make it into ED, at least yet!

Wow, never seen this classic ship list before! I am really glad I was not introduced to Elite Classic. I would be stuck flying the Shuttle or the Transporter if I was to stick with no snake named ship. :LOL:
Strictly speaking Morays are eels, not snakes, so that should be ok! :) Not that you had a choice. You got a Cobra Mk3 and that was all you could fly. Interesting to see that all the current ship construction companies are mentioned with the exception of the Federal Core Dynamics and Imperial Gutamaya. Saud Kruger made the Shuttle, Zorgon Petersen the Fer De Lance, Lakon the Transporter and Faulcon delacy the Sidewinder and Krait.

Top Bottom