Are Y'all Still Playing?

When ED first released, I'd start up the game and my friend list on the right side of the menu was full. These days it's often somewhere between empty and three people max at any given time. My PSN friends are still playing games, just not Elite.

My PSN friend list is obviously a small subset of the overall PS4 player base, so I'm curious, PS4 players - are you still playing Elite as your "primary" game, or have you scaled back your gameplay since you started, or have you "finished" the game and moved on?

To answer my own question, I still consider ED my "primary" game, though I have scaled back due those bugs I've bemoaned ad nauseam. This may all change in three weeks thanks US Black Friday (when I'll finally purchase games like HZD).

Though my graphics are fine, the instability in the board, the constant sometime overwhelming interdictions, getting ramed by NPC's when being scanned, being scanned several times when entering or exiting a station just to name a few, have caused me to play other games until such time as FDev can gives us the real version of the game and put this dam BETA version to rest. Where as I used to be online about 6 or more hours a day, now it's just a couple. All I do now is grind one or two percent for the Alliance, just to keep what I've got from going down. Rewards is not my goal, getting to 75% rep status for the Alliance is. The other two have dropped down to the 75% level from a lack of doing anything for them in the past 3 weeks. My Alliance just can't seem to get past 30%, presently I've have to compete nearly 20 passenger missions which offer a minimum or two reps each. To get a one percent increase. Though if and when I am offered, it only takes a dozen data missions, if I can get a dozen, which I generally can't anymore since FDev released this beta version for ps4.

Until recently it was my primary game (and I loved every minute of it) - but now I've nearly finished engineering my Anaconda and switched to Pillars of Eternity. Great CRPG.

But I'll come back for sure :) The bugs didn't affect my break at all, barely recognized them.

Last edited:
Not really playing as much even though I'm sitting at north America nebula with a lot of unexplored systems to scan. It took another game ported from PC to cut off most of my playtime and warband is the best 20 bucks I have ever spent on a video game.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I am still playing. Still love the game even with its issues. One more trophy for the Platinum but thinking of just heading to SagA regardless of broken Quality Mode. I should know by now things don't move quickly at FDev towers.

I've noticed a big drop in the number of my friends playing too. My worry is the less PS4 players we have active the lower down the pecking order we become. :(

Strengthening and balancing PvP, adjusting Engineering, improving C&P and instancing, all would go a long way into PS4 playerbase expansion and retention. A huge part of the PS4 community is made of people who've never even heard about the original Elite games and won't have lasting fun from the stale Exploration, silly Missioning, Time Grind to achieve anything, or simply spending one hour over a planet searching for a Bug crash site. Nevermind repetitive CGs (this last one is better).

As it is right now, it's kind of a niche game with identity crisis.

ED is a huge bang for the buck, lots and lots of hours, days, weeks played even, it's a very good investment. That said, it's shallow in many aspects. A beautiful game full of missed opportunities.

Last edited:
I'm still playing although in its current state I've finally started catching up on all the games in my pile of shame that ed on xbox and ps4 created over the last couple of years lol ;)

It's perfectly normal to have a break from ed every now and then usually when fdev break things ;) it's always dragged me back tho eventually as I enjoy it so much :)

I'm still playing Duck, but I think I'm not on your list. I mostly play in private. You can add me if you like. PSN: Tetz1962

I am still playing. Still love the game even with its issues. One more trophy for the Platinum but thinking of just heading to SagA regardless of broken Quality Mode. I should know by now things don't move quickly at FDev towers.

I've noticed a big drop in the number of my friends playing too. My worry is the less PS4 players we have active the lower down the pecking order we become. :(

As one of the ps4 founding father's, I've read almost every retort to every post in regards to the ps4 and only the ps4 via this thread in or on this forum. Though I've also read a few via reddit and the playstation forums, but not very often. And I've come aways with the belief that though they say it via a copy pasted sentence or two, which seem to be from an a preestalished list of retorts just for such purpose. FDev doesn't really give a dam, about any or all of ps4 issues unless there brought to their attention by SONY. And then if it weren't for a legal contract which will expire at some point. They only seem to care about the PC version of the game, inso much as an xbox is a substandard pc in console form, they have less issues than we, and updates designed for a pc generally fixes xbox issues at the same time.

Though xbox and ps4 are both referred to as consoles, the relationship to the programming differences between an xbox and a ps4 in relation to a pc is like the differene between men and women, black and white, hot and cold etc. etc. etc.

Think about it, releasing a ps4 version gave FDev a significant bump to their bottom line, but only a month later, FDev sold 9 percent of it's holdings to a China investment group, why? They are hurting for cash flow. Having a positive cash flow or not is the number one tell tale signs of a succesfull business.

Though the market supports free ungrades like Horizon and the latest what ever it called. At some point, they can't continue to give things away for free without affecting their bottom line. Establish a new player base such as the ps4, provided them with a patch to the leak, causing their bottom line to go down. It is not a cure!

One could concur that next on their agenda is the Apple market, they'll provide a working version which will end up the same as ours, which is basically nothing more than an adaptaion of a beta version for pc and xbox. PC being their pet project.

Last edited:
Until recently it was my primary game (and I loved every minute of it) - but now I've nearly finished engineering my Anaconda and switched to Pillars of Eternity. Great CRPG.

Haha, yes, I see you! This morning (for me) one out of six friends currently online are playing ED. The others are playing games like: Paladins, Battlefield 1, PoE, Warframe, Gran Turismo Sport, Elder Scrolls Online, etc. It also seems many of us (including myself) have changed our avatars to something besides the Elite avatar, which says something as well.

I should note that I've only added ED forum members as friends on PSN, as this is the only game I've ever wanted to have "community" with. So my PSN friends are, or at least were at one time, "hard core" Elite fans. I'll also note that half the people in my PSN list (online now) haven't posted to this forum in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I'd concur that those whom have stated they've been avid player since the first days a couple of years ago when released pc and a year and a half ago for xbox. Don't actually play as often as they may have when it was new either. I mean one might state they've been playing for two years, and though it was several hours a day at first, it's actually only a couple of hours a day, or a week or etc. Thus, presenting a false sense of reported game time. Yes, it's only an assumption, only FDev would have the actual data. And they are not going to devulge it ever. But the stock markets reports tells all. The release of a ps4 version was basically an attempt to increase their bottom line to a point where a possible investment group would care to invest. It apparently worked to some degree because an investment group bought 9% of ED, they did not buy 9% of FDev. WHY?

I'm taking a break, I was experiencing pretty much every bug/glitch going and there are some pretty good games out atm. I will definitly be back even sooner if FDev roll out a patch soon... *AHEM* [big grin]

I'm taking a break, I was experiencing pretty much every bug/glitch going and there are some pretty good games out atm. I will definitly be back even sooner if FDev roll out a patch soon... *AHEM* [big grin]

"Soon" is relative when dealing with Frontier ;)

interstellar-christopher-nolan.jpg

I have not touched ED in 2-3 weeks and probably won’t change soon. I enjoy the game still, but want to focus on something different. For me, I know Elite is there when I want to see things blow up just relax while cruising between systems. I play it as SP anyways.

I have come back to Horizon Zero Dawn; working on side quests and tracking down items before pushing to story completion. I’ll try to finish it by around Christmas, maybe the expansion too, and get ready for another single player role playing game.

In just over a week, Battlefront 2 comes out. My gaming buddies prefer that to ED, so i’ll get it for co-op.

Still playing, but you no longer appear on my friends list. Not sure what the deal is there. However I’m not playing anywhere near as much as I did. I really immersed myself in ED as RDR2 was originally scheduled to be out now and I knew I wouldn’t have time for both games, but alas it’s been put back to next year. The fact that there is nothing else out gaming wise that interests me at all is the main reason I am still playing ED. When RDR2 comes out I can’t see myself playing much, if at all. I tend to totally immerse myself in one game at a time. The bugs in ED, the fact that’s it’s as much of a grind in the end game ships as when you’re in the mid game ships really does not bode well for my continued interest. I’m very skeptical that Frontier will continue with their 10 year plan, at least on the PS4.

Top Bottom