Are Y'all Still Playing?

When ED first released, I'd start up the game and my friend list on the right side of the menu was full. These days it's often somewhere between empty and three people max at any given time. My PSN friends are still playing games, just not Elite.

My PSN friend list is obviously a small subset of the overall PS4 player base, so I'm curious, PS4 players - are you still playing Elite as your "primary" game, or have you scaled back your gameplay since you started, or have you "finished" the game and moved on?

To answer my own question, I still consider ED my "primary" game, though I have scaled back due those bugs I've bemoaned ad nauseam. This may all change in three weeks thanks US Black Friday (when I'll finally purchase games like HZD).

I see the same on xbox people playing ed less and less.
I have more or less stopped playing myself still lurking around the forums though.
Tryed it for a half an hour yesterday but got bored real quick and quit.
I think if we are really honest we can see things are not going well for this game in general.
I am going to start starpoint gemini 2 myself.

I had a break from playing Elite daily during September when Destiny 2 launched, but it quickly became apparent that there's not much to do in D2 and was straight back on here.

I had a break from playing Elite daily during September when Destiny 2 launched, but it quickly became apparent that there's not much to do in D2 and was straight back on here.

Same as you had a couple of months break played destiny then got bored of grinding the same strikes/pub events. So now back

I see the same on xbox people playing ed less and less.

That's interesting. I was under the impression that things were better on the XBox side, due to forum activity "over there" and the number of players that were instancing with Ed Lewis when he livestreamed on the XBox vs the PS4. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just surprised.

are you still playing Elite as your "primary" game, or have you scaled back your gameplay since you started, or have you "finished" the game and moved on?

have not logged in for a couple of months. i even stowed away the hotas. i couldn't give a crap for all the 'story', the aliens, the cgs, the engineers ... and just gave it a break. but i do hear the viper faintly calling me, and i will get my fix at some point.

keep in mind that i have 1500-2000 hours in the game ...

After having played ED almost exclusively since launch, I got somewhat bored with the grind about a week or two ago and only play it irregularly atm. Maybe it's due to the fact that the main thing that kept me going was "gotta get that ship next", and with the exception of the Cutter, I have bought, outfitted and engineered all the ships I'm interested in. Elite trader already, two ranks to go in the other two.

I'm mostly dropping into the game for three things:

1. An hour or two of brainless money-making to wind down (mostly passenger missions)
2. A bit of zippy dogfighting (gotta love the iCourier)
3. An interesting CG (this week's rescue one was great, but way too short. More please!)

The main problem (for me) is that apart from the eternal grind, there is not that much to do that would feel rewarding. Yes, I know, "blaze your own trail", but I've done almost everything that's to do in the game, and there's little incentive to do it again other than to increase some virtual counter. There should be more story-based content (new questlines with special rewards at regular intervals? see Star Trek Online) and a way for single or groups of commanders to leave more than a superficial imprint on the galaxy (see Eve Online). Power Play and playing the BGS look promising in theory until you realise they are broken/abandoned/don't get any care from the developers.

Still love the game though! Maybe after a short hiatus I'll finally get that trip to Jacques and Sag A* done. :D

Yup, still playing. Every day that I can, for as long a time as I can (which unfortunately is usually only about an hour a day). It's stopped me buying this year's FIFA - I can't give it much higher praise than that.

Yes, it is still my primary game, even more so since becoming a Fuel Rat last week. I still play games on my PS4 such as Skyrim, NMS, Everybody’s Golf and HZD (and Subnautica on PC), but EDH is still a huge consumer of my spare time :)

I was playing about 5 days a week, an hour or two on average per day, but after getting to Sag A. and back I've eased off a bit. I think it's because I've been going for the Combat trophy (which I think requires getting to Expert rank) and it's turned out to be a right slog. I've one more rank-up to go but despite focusing only on ships ranked higher than me I seem to be progressing at a rate of 1% for every two kills - and it's bloody hard killing Elite, Deadly and Master ships!

I think once that's done I can get back to exploring (which I'm setting as my target for Elite status), which I think is where I enjoy the game the most.

The bug that irritates me the most is the one where, often, you’ll go to your friends list in the comms panel, try to scroll down to highlight their name, say, to send or accept a wing invite, and the wretched “cursor” just jumps back to the top of the panel. Vary frustrating indeed!

Still play pretty much every day unless I'm away from home ...or the servers are down, in which case I switch back to NMS for a while.

I'm usually in Solo, occasionally PG, never Open and I'm currently working towards Elite Explorer rank so I'm out in the middle of nowhere most of the time.

I've pretty much ignored the 2.4 Thargoid content so far, visited a couple of the planetary sites (but they were in 2.3 anyway), never seen a 'Goid, never carried an artefact, or probe, or whatever. I like doing my own thing like I did back in the original Elite, so was apprehensive from the moment they announced 'The Return'. I only started playing ED at PS4 launch and didn't want a forced story suddenly pushed onto me when I'd only had a few months to get into the game so I'm glad it's worked out that I've been able to avoid most of it and carry on regardless. I'm looking forward to the promised additions in 'Beyond' though.

I've added Gran Turismo Sport to my Christmas wishlist and I'm a huge GT fan so ED will have stiff competition come late December.

Last edited:
Because i just started this game i am still playing. Had it from day one but never got to it. After many many crashes and stupid mistakes i just started it from scratch again and hopefully i now know a little bit more

Because i just started this game i am still playing. Had it from day one but never got to it. After many many crashes and stupid mistakes i just started it from scratch again and hopefully i now know a little bit more

I think most people will agree with me that this game is tremendous fun in the early stages (once you figure out the basics), as everything is new and exciting and unexperienced. I definitely got my money's worth out of the game!

I think most people will agree with me that this game is tremendous fun in the early stages (once you figure out the basics), as everything is new and exciting and unexperienced. I definitely got my money's worth out of the game!

I'd concure it's well worth the money I've spent. 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for the first 4 months equals nearly 1,000 hours of play. Divided by the $60 for the game, $60 for a hotas and monthly fee of only $13.00 for the online conection fee via ps+ (50÷15 (sales promo price)) that works out to be only about $0.13 per hour. And though I've not played in a few days, I will agian after the new update supposedly in the first quarter next year. Making it an even better deal.

Presently I'm looking for a game such as ED, that will keep my interest but closer to NMS which has considerably less need for combat. More on the line of MYST and other's simular to it, would be great.

I think I've hit a second or third wind, to be honest. Hitting Elite Explorer feels more like the beginning than the end of that part of the game. All of the grind has gone from exploration now that I can set a pace that suits me and the task at hand, rather than constantly fretting that I haven't scanned enough water worlds.

But will it also be fun when you have figure it all??
Not to high jack this thread what is the point to this game? I know NMS had to be the center (what was a disappointment)

Top Bottom