Are Y'all Still Playing?

If there was a way to transfer my Cmdr as is to pc i would never look back.Here's hoping that ps5 will force Frontier to do the game justice.
I used to have hope... Not any more. But I'm happy to be proven wrong when the day comes. My new hope is that PS5 will bring some real competition to the genre. If a game similar enough to ED came along, one with a developer who cares about the Playstation platform, then I'll be the one never looking back. Perhaps Starfield will be that game. Bethesda, are you reading this?

You are putting your hopes on Bethesda Duck after the Fallout 76 debacle? When you go for a lost cause, you sure commit.

Gave the game time, it's improving, if it's that bad, put it down and play something else until it meets your standards. I've done this with Fallout 76.

Gary

Ps4 feels abandoned with sub par graphical quality and its a shame because it could be the second most popular platform after pc if Frontier pushed just a tiny bit.

this is probably no consolation but you can bet frontier tried hard. they just must have hit a lot of roadblocks in the particular case of playstation, but i'm confident this was a high priority target for them, worth millions. covering psx was not only a sure load of cash, it is crucial for their market strategy.

now you might say, if it was so important, why did they get it so wrong, when other routinely get it right? well, all i will say is it can happen, and doesn't necessarily imply lack of effort. this stuff is hard and can go wrong for multiple reasons.

You are putting your hopes on Bethesda Duck after the Fallout 76 debacle? When you go for a lost cause, you sure commit.
Yeah, good point. I don't play Fallout personally (not my kind of game), so I'm still starry-eyed from Skyrim :D

Oh, and Bethesda now has Ed Lewis!

Gave the game time, it's improving, if it's that bad, put it down and play something else until it meets your standards.
Doing that now. When I read the patch notes and saw none of the bugs I've reported have been fixed, I couldn't even find the will to log in to play.

The one area I haven't given up hope in is that PS5 will offer outstanding PS4 backwards-compatibility, which perhaps will allow PS4 ED to play in Pro Quality mode while also giving us Performance framerate. That won't address all the other things wrong with the game, but it would renew my interest in things like human and alien POIs (INARA bases, generation ships, etc). And then there is "New Era", which if it uses an entirely rewritten Cobra engine, may fix the majority of my complaints. Either way, it looks like I've got a long wait (late 2020) ahead. 🤷‍♂️

Hi Old Duck,

Although I've been playing since the rollout on PS4, I have had an on again, off again romance with ED. Just recently acquired an Anaconda, and set out exploring. Mostly been playing in the moebius group ( might have spelled that wrong). Anywhoo...playing today after update. But bouncing from other titles as well. The upcoming "Days Gone" being the next to attract my attention. But ED will always garner my attention throughout.

I've been playing more and more over the last few weeks, so much that I can't remember the last time I started up RDR2. However trying to engineer a 'Conda for 'Goids has been a real drag since I found out there are no longer systems in famine (so farming distribution centres for wakes is no longer an option) and also the drop rate of HGEs seems to be terrible ATM. Combine that with the fact that even though we can now use Inara.cz and EDSM.net there still doesn't seem to be an easy way to work out what materials you need without firing up a spreadsheet. At least in today's patch notes I notice the increase in spawn rate for HGEs; I just need to find something to do as I'm travelling around looking for them now... is mining/material gathering a possible combo?

there still doesn't seem to be an easy way to work out what materials you need without firing up a spreadsheet.

this gives you a shopping list:
https://github.com/msarilar/EDEngineer

afaik most people use inara for engigrinding, but edengineer is the only tool i ever needed for keeping track of mats. it does everything automatically, you only need to select your wishlist. the user interface is a bit weird but once you figure it out this is the top tool there is hands down, imo.

At least in today's patch notes I notice the increase in spawn rate for HGEs; I just need to find something to do as I'm travelling around looking for them now...

people are adressing this with material traders, there must be a recent thread somewhere with specifics (search "hge")

is mining/material gathering a possible combo?

you can get some materials along with the fragments but no, it isn't a viable subsitute for other grind options (or waiting your whole life).

this is probably no consolation but you can bet frontier tried hard. they just must have hit a lot of roadblocks in the particular case of playstation, but i'm confident this was a high priority target for them, worth millions. covering psx was not only a sure load of cash, it is crucial for their market strategy.

now you might say, if it was so important, why did they get it so wrong, when other routinely get it right? well, all i will say is it can happen, and doesn't necessarily imply lack of effort. this stuff is hard and can go wrong for multiple reasons.

Oh im sure they do and unlike many other products elite is in a pretty good shape overall from the start.Its just dissapointing seeing consecutive patches with the same problems and a missed opportunity to have the game be something special for the Ps4.

My biggest gripe though is how low the population is on ps4 and although i have bought the game twice I feel penalised for choosing ps4 because my progress is there.

And we all know unlocking all the engineers,both superpower ships and most importantly having above 200 of each material is no small time investment.

On the pc side of things in just over a week i have half the engineers unlocked and a healthy bank all thanks to prior knowledge but every time i log in im like "man you've done all this,go have some fun in your Corvette and leave this grind for another day".

So here i am loading the ps4 client every day and with any progress I make im hard locked even more to the lesser version.

My biggest gripe though is how low the population is on ps4 and although i have bought the game twice I feel penalised for choosing ps4 because my progress is there.
I often wonder if the low population (the topic of this thread) is because ED is rubbish on base PS4 (my opinion) or if it's the other way around, that Frontier doesn't bother fixing ED on PS4 because of the low population...

Interestingly most people in this forum own PS4 Pro, but the Slim and original are the far more popular consoles, at least the last time I checked. The advice here is always, "Buy a Pro" or "Buy a PC", but let's face it, most people are not going to do that for a single game. So if the majority of people who purchase ED (people not here in the forums) are doing so for their non-Pro PS4, and they suffer the same bugs I do, it wouldn't surprise me at all that many would quit before getting out of their Sidewinder (52% last I checked). Anyway, it's all speculation, no sense belaboring it.

I really wish NMS was closer to ED rather than being a Saturday-morning cartoon, because that game is getting serious love on PS4.

This is the PS4 forum. I want something that will automatically take the materials I have in game, add that to a site via an API, and then show me what I need to get. Now EDSM is really close, because it does pull through my materials from game and adds them to my profile on the site, but I can't create a 'crafting list' for the blueprints I want along with the experimental effects. Inara does this perfectly, but of course it doesn't pull the materials from my Frontier account it connects to. A shame, as I am happy to be a patreon for this and indeed I was for EDSM but the fact that it can't do this and the API seems really flaky meant I have cancelled this.

I don't own anything that I can put an exe on, nor do I want to. That's why I have a PS4!

But actually it looks like there may be an improvement on this front! Here's hoping…

I often wonder if the low population (the topic of this thread) is because ED is rubbish on base PS4 (my oinion) or if it's the other way around, that Frontier doesn't bother fixing ED on PS4 because of the low population...

Interestingly most people in this forum own PS4 Pro, but the Slim and original are the far more popular consoles, at least the last time I checked. The advice here is always, "Buy a Pro" or "Buy a PC", but let's face it, most people are not going to do that for a single game. So if the majority of people who purchase ED (people not here in the forums) are doing so for their non-Pro PS4, and they suffer the same bugs I do, it wouldn't surprise me at all that many would quit before getting out of their Sidewinder (52% last I checked). Anyway, it's all speculation, no sense belaboring it.

I really wish NMS was closer to ED rather than being a Saturday-morning cartoon, because that game is getting serious love on PS4.
[/QUOTE

Yes too bad its far from elite i can't change to a pro and neither a pc, but a little look on us was it so demanding ?

I used to have hope... Not any more. But I'm happy to be proven wrong when the day comes. My new hope is that PS5 will bring some real competition to the genre. If a game similar enough to ED came along, one with a developer who cares about the Playstation platform, then I'll be the one never looking back. Perhaps Starfield will be that game. Bethesda, are you reading this?

Sadly bethesday is of the way atm ,but like you am sure a gem could be looming soon.._.

I suppose I don't notice the low population on PS4 because only play solo, but I do notice the shocking graphic quality of ED on PS4 compared to other titles on the console (both exclusives and multi platform games).
I feel like I'm noticing it more and more lately too. The shadows suck, There's frame stuttering close to stars and stations, the LoD pops on models are far more obvious in ED than every other game I play (NMS used to be the worst culprit for popping but that's been vastly improved since the NEXT update).
The quality of game graphics on consoles generally improves as the console gets older and developers learn to get the best out of the hardware. Usually the very last games in a consoles life-cycle are the best looking.
When I've been playing graphically glorious, highly detailed, and smooth running titles like RDR2, HZD, GT Sport, etc, and then I switch back to ED it really shows up how poor ED performs. ED has nothing like the same amount of assets on screen most of the time, nor the same level of shadow, lighting and volumetric effects. It's very disappointing.

...and yet I still play it. :rolleyes:

I often wonder if the low population (the topic of this thread) is because ED is rubbish on base PS4 (my opinion) or if it's the other way around, that Frontier doesn't bother fixing ED on PS4 because of the low population...

I bet it's the latter. IDK if it's any better on the X-Box, but there seems to be some kind of nintendoitis syndrome with PS4 and everything gets dumbed down to "press square to punch and triangle to parry". If the xbone and PS4 ED featuresets ever start to diverge, I'm out of the PS4 camp in a heartbeat because I know who's going to win on that deal.

I play on consoles because I like my hardware configuration process to be simple, it shouldn't imply my taste in games to be simple.

I bet it's the latter. IDK if it's any better on the X-Box, but there seems to be some kind of nintendoitis syndrome with PS4 and everything gets dumbed down to "press square to punch and triangle to parry". If the xbone and PS4 ED featuresets ever start to diverge, I'm out of the PS4 camp in a heartbeat because I know who's going to win on that deal.

I play on consoles because I like my hardware configuration process to be simple, it shouldn't imply my taste in games to be simple.
You know, I'm hard on Frontier because of the current state of ED on PS4 (it was a much better program, quality-wise, when it first released), but I will always be thankful that Frontier had the guts to bring a game like this to the console to begin with. I would love to have more games like this, and not just space sims. I want Silent Hunter on my console, I'd even like an actual Flight Simulator on my PS4/5 (I had hopes Ace Combat might scratch that itch, but IIRC it's more arcade than simulator). I believe these things can be done, especially since PS4 supports HOTAS and even K&M. It's just getting a company that can look past the fads like Fortnite and see there is money to be made in niches, if you do a good job at it.

AFWIW, I think Frontier did a stellar job at making a complex game like ED accessible on the console. Whoever coded the DS4 back during the original launch deserves an Emmy (for programmers). The recent addition HUD modes and FSS buttons has mucked things up a bit, but I can't blame the PS4 team for that.

I guess i am just lucky, my ps4 is standard as far as i know, but having never seen ED on anything else, it rocks/i can live with it.😁

Still playing

o7

We all knew what we were buying when we pressed that purchase button and ps4 was a choice of big screen and comfort.If the game had better visuals and a more fleshed out early experience it would retain the critical mass of casuals needed to have a healthy population.

The rest of us that dwell the forums would play regardless as we do already.

I still think Frontier has two more chances to make the game popular,one with this patch and some visibility on the store and with the 2020 update where there will be no excuse for the new hardware to run the game at the high preset and at locked 60.

The content will be there,the adoption rate as well cause of the new hardware rush.

I'm playing on a PS4 slim as well, I guess I'm not as picky with the graphics, I know the PS4's limitations. I'm just having a blast exploring and taking it all in at the moment! I'm currently doing the road to riches, as "grindy" as it is. Although, I have encountered some incredible systems that I have bookmarked to return to after I earn some cash to buy myself some "big and pretty!"

Top Bottom