General / Off-Topic Are you a Youtuber? Which video editing software do you use?

I have a Hauppauge HD PVR2 which I use to record Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4 Pro, and PC gameplays. The great thing about it is it also records my commentary and people chatting in Xbox Live game chat and party chat. I've recorded some videos with my friends in it.

For editing software, I use Microsoft Movie Maker. Early this year, I got CyberLink PowerDirector 14. It's great software better than Microsoft Movie Maker though not quiet as simple as it. The owners of PowerDirector also frequently have massive sales like 70% off. That's fantastic.

Since professional video editing software can be highly expensive, Adobe or something charge like $30/month! In NZ, Sony's latest SonyVegas software can cost as much as $999! or near that! or $799!

I got PowerDirector 14 during their valentines sale early this year. 70% off discount, and paid NZ$78 roughly for it instead of the full price which is something like US$289 or roughly.

Pretty good deal right.

So any other youtuber's or people who do videos, on here?....

I use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing my videos. It's a quicker process and I know how to use it.
But I use the Adobe programs because I use a lot of the other ones for various things anyway.
Pretty sure they charge us Aussies and New Zealanders through the roof as well, unless that has changed.

Not a YouTuber but I do video editing and motion graphics for a living. I go between Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and Adobe After Effects. Vegas is my go to for Quick cutting together, After Effects is my go to for special text effects, overlays, and color correction and grading. I'll use premiere from time to time because After Effects and Premiere go hand-in-hand and can read each other's formats without having to render any workfiles between (most of the time).

Have used Final Cut Pro a lot for mac, for windows I have Sony Movie Studio for quickly putting something together. Not really a Youtuber (got a couple of quickly put together videos there but nothing else) I mainly use them either for work related or personal projects. I'm hoping to get hold of a used Sony A7s next year so that I can get back into doing video!

I usually use Virtual dub for a lot of video editing, but I haven't really tried like... effects with it, so I'm unsure if you can slap a title image over the top and fade it out etc

As a YouTuber, I have this recommendation!

Hi,

For Mac Users (like me):
- start with iMovie (free Software)
- after switch to Final Cut Pro, if you want to become more professional -> MY WAY

For Window Users:
- start with adobe elements (cheap software)
- after switch to adobe premiere pro, if you want to become more professional.

Also, you can check out this site:
https://influencer.equipment/

Here you can check out the Gear, big YouTubers use. There is also the Editing Software listed.
You can check out your idols editing software and copy that one.

Hope, I could help you. :)

I use a fairly obscure editing software... Corel Video Studio. It's a program I have used for years and currently using the newest X10 version. It is fairly basic really but does motsly all I need!

For graphics and thumbnails I use Adobe Fireworks, as it's what I'm most comfortable with coming from a Web Design background.

Audio-wise I use a program called Cool Edit Pro (think adobe audition is the newest version/name) and Audacity for any Voice Over touch-ups and recordings.

Well you should really try Adobe Premiere Pro because it's easy and has a lot of features . I know it's not cheap but... [pirate]
And if one day you want to start using After Effects it will be easier for you.

I use Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14. It's reasonably priced, has a TON of features and it's super easy to use. It also comes with a really good audio package as well. You can even compose your own music in it.

Well you should really try Adobe Premiere Pro because it's easy and has a lot of features . I know it's not cheap but... [pirate]
And if one day you want to start using After Effects it will be easier for you.

Adobe and sony vegas are a ripp off paying hundreds for the software or expensive monthly subscriptions. Powerdirector regularly have big sales 60-90% off. I have powerdirector 14 and its really good. That sort of software adobe and vegas only the rich can afford :D

I remember once sony selling vegas for as much as rrp nz$799!! and adobe is au$35/month. Although people in show biz or highly popular youtubers may use it.

Last edited:
Does anyone use free open source video editors?

I tried these, but they kind of seems as unfinished products?
I am open to suggestions...
I use Kdenlive. Not that many After Effects-level effects, but simple and easy to use, especially editing audio. I found Openshot far too buggy but as always with Linux, they're probably distro-specific

I use Kdenlive. Not that many After Effects-level effects, but simple and easy to use, especially editing audio. I found Openshot far too buggy but as always with Linux, they're probably distro-specific

It's not just Linux. When I tried it, it had quirks in Windows 10 too. Kdenlive seems to best out of the bunch. I just can't believe open source choices are so rare considering how hugely such software is needed.

If you can get it to run stable and fast (which are issues for some people but not for others), Blackmagic's Resolve is free ("normal") or 325€ (Studio). It's worth checking out.

Top Bottom