Are you exploring because of 'greifing'?

No, I positively used to love being interdicted in my Python, but that was before wings :D
I always said I want to be an explorer from the first day I heard of ED .

Having said that I do dabble in all the other professions, but I still haven't done a CG yet :)

Personally I like the immersion, flying about exploring the universe enjoying the views, leaving behind a bit of my "footprints" on the galaxy (cmon, I can't be the first one to think of this as a reason!)
and of course, you know you'll have some $$$ waiting for you when you get back. ;)

Those are my four reasons.

I now go straight into Solo mode. Not necessarily to avoid players but the truth is I've never really had much interaction with other players in the past so being connected only got in the way when space stations were clogged with ships.

No justifiable interaction + waiting in line to unload my trading ship = always ended up hopping into Solo mode anyway.

OP, when people are bothered by Open what they do is play Solo or in PvE groups. You have to enjoy exploration on some level to get out thousands of light years from Sol, it can't just be about avoidance of people.
Exactly. I'm out here because it's interesting. Heck, I'm still in Solo, too!

Frankly I am amazed that you have to ask that question. First, I have never played in open. It isn't worth my time. Second, there are 3 rankings in which one can obtain Elite status. You will never achieve that goal unless you do it. Third, my exhaust will never be in your sights so what does it matter what I do. Fourth... because the view in my DK2 is absolutely stunning.

I am exploring because I am the first and only "Explorer Griefer"....its hard work, 21Kylies and I havent spotted one person to grief, so I have started to grief myself by verbally abusing myself on the local channel.

I honestly wouldnt know if I had been griefed anyway, if soemeone wants to attack me for no reason then thats part of the game. I explore because I want to and I enjoy it. I tend to split myself between exploring, trading and combat. Trading soons gets dull, so does a RES site after a while.

Here's the elephant in the room:

Why are people exploring?
Is it because they can't survive doing anything else?

I'm 52k ly from sol, and happy to be here.. specifically because I cant be put on by pirates, or newbs who cant fly.

Are you out here because they are there?

I am exploring because i like.
I dont care the rest.

When i will back, the griefers will have a problem.

Last edited:
I do Exploration because it is the play mode that best suits my real life.
I can't sit at the desk and do a grind trying to get max credit per hour.
I explore while I do other things on the PC and in real life. I have to be AFK often, so the other tasks are pointless to try.
I am in no hurry to get x billion credits.

It is easy to get the hang of pointing the ship at that secondary star 200k ls away, set throttle to 1/3 speed then step away and go do something else, then come back to the screen and see that I scanned a star, passed by it unscathed and overshot it by 100k ls. No problem, FSD to the next place. Honk and start over.

Exploration lets me play in 4-10 minute sets, all day long and still get things done in game and real life. Sure it took me 3 weeks to go from pathfinder to ranger, but I managed to file my taxes and get other stuff done.

The only griefers I encounter are the missus and cat. But I never bought (into) this game for MP.

Not just no, but HELL no.

I'm here because of this:

[video=youtube;zgXH0VxkKF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgXH0VxkKF4[/video]

:D

I've never seen a griefer, and I only play open mode. Must be because I do my thing away from Lave and the other systems where they watering-hole. Hint, hint, hint.

Indeed, I've only encountered 2 CMDRs in human space before, and both of my interactions with them were pleasant. One, we blinked lights and said "hi" and the other, he offered to shoot me up and I gave him a few tons of coffee not to. Good gameplay.

Human space is large enough that you can do anything you want without having to worry about griefers. Indeed, if everyone would just spread out a bit, it'd "grief" the griefers; they'd have to wait hours and hours for someone to come along and then you can just combat log or submit/boost or shrug and pay your insurance. Griefers get bored quickly.

No, I don't explore because of griefing, because there is no such thing.

Just like with trading, mining, war zones etc, I would never DREAM of exploring in Open Play. There simply is no reason for it what so ever, and that is perfectly fine.

The concept of griefing is a contradiction in terms in a game that offers you solo and private group play modes. The only way to get PvP (unwanted or not) is to deliberately seek it out.

You don't have to explore on the other side of the galaxy to avoid PvP in this game.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in solo to avoid griefing.

I Explore for the astronomy.

^^ this.

Why are people exploring?
Is it because they can't survive doing anything else?

Because it's interesting and a nice rest after the CG in Zaonce where I was in the top 5 contributors (not top 5%, top 5 individuals) so I think I can survive quite nicely against most of what can be thrown at me.

I started seriously exploring on the Tsu CG which turned up at exactly the time where I had enough cash to buy and outfit an Asp for exploration.

After each trip I have ripped more parts out to increase the range a bit and am now heading vaguely towards the core to see what I can find.

It's lonely out there, in what must be at least 75,000ly of travels I have just met a single CMDR out there and that was a friend whose location was shown on the galaxy map so was easy to arrange a rendezvous.

Last edited:
I played Solo in the first two weeks after release, and then went to Open never to come back again. Never witnessed any act of griefing, maybe I should hang around Lave or Zaonce a little more? My other ships are a Viper and a Type-7; I'm not exploring because I can't survive around people, I'm exploring because of the sheer hugeness, the silence, the beautiful sights and the feeling of actually discovering stuff.

Oh and to those who explore in Solo: you're missing the joy of seeing another CMDR out there in the void. It happened to me a couple times and it's the kind of event you definitely write down in your travel log.

I played Solo in the first two weeks after release, and then went to Open never to come back again.

That's perfectly fine and your choice. Just don't whine about griefers when you eventually get ganked by some random guy. When you choose to play Open you choose the risk of getting shot up for no reason at all.

I explore because it gives the needed change of pace to this game. And the sights are beatiful. And the sounds. The feeling of zooming hundreds of light years just to stumble into a system with totally different kind of composure.

Besides, I trade and hunt on the outskirts. No griefers there.

((Don't) fear the Griefer.)

That's perfectly fine and your choice. Just don't whine about griefers when you eventually get ganked by some random guy. When you choose to play Open you choose the risk of getting shot up for no reason at all.

I won't, it's called "Elite: Dangerous" after all. Besides, the only PvP action I've seen so far was *me* interdicting wanted CMDR's. Maybe they whined about griefing afterwards, who knows.

Top Bottom