Are you part of a Squadron and do you support a Faction?

I joined FleetComm for Distant Worlds 2, that's been pretty great thanks, certainly kept the longer more desolate stretches of space more lively.

I’m loyal to no squadron, no faction. I take no orders from a galactic power or a super power. Hell, you should see me land my ship, I don’t even obey the laws of physics. Know why?

It’s not their space.

It’s my space.

Deleted member 182079

D
Used to be part of a squadron for maybe half a year, but left recently because I felt I wasn't contributing enough, even though the guys were pretty laid back and weren't expecting much (I think). They certainly have potential if you want to make "friends" and/or learn from experienced players (mine was one of the top AX ones).

Still, after so many times of saying "no thanks I'm doing X instead" it was clear I prefer to do my own thing, at my own pace instead, so I quit. Feels pretty good to be a solo CMDR blazing my own trail, to be honest.

For years I've worked alone in a relatively quiet region on the bubble, supporting a few NPC factions with one main chosen faction that takes priority. Mostly I just play with the BGS, figuring it out as I go along but occasionally my work crosses paths with other players & player groups which I enjoy, it's probably the main reason I still play in Open (I'm not really interested in PvP but I prefer the existential threat of never being sure to being king of the hill in Solo).

I have agreements with some of the local factions & generally we all respect each others' boundaries & time, only one group has created any real problems for me, and dealing with them is a real grindy ball-ache atm.

Rather than forming a squadron traditionally I persuade & cajole passing strangers to play with me for a while, I'll happily share a wing mission or answer any questions about how the game works, or just give them a safety net to encourage them to try something new. The benefit I get out of it is as a BGS force multiplier for me, if they are with me I can carefully guide their actions in a way that's beneficial to us both. I try to explain this to the ones that stick around, and occasionally I have teamed up with these players for a while. One of these recently formed a squadron that I joined (it was just the two of us) mostly to learn how the squadron mechanism works & if it offered benefits over simply winging up with someone on your friend list. We use the squadron chat when we're not winged up and I've added a few squadron bookmarks (ie shared bookmarks). A couple of others have since joined the squadron but generally we are still rarely in the same instance or teamed up, we just share some common goals & I act as a bit of a mentor & strategic adviser to the very small team.

I like the four letter squadron titles though, it makes IFFing passers by much easier for non-power play aligned players.

Just curious.

Are you part of a Squadron or do you support a faction on your own? Which faction? What are your motivations?
a) Technically. I paid the 10 million credits for a squadron, simply because I wanted to establish "Stevenson's Whirlwind Adventures" as something in-game. I'm attaching my alt to the squadron (eventually) so I can share certain bookmarks between them.

b) I rarely support factions via the BGS. I much prefer to mess with Federation factions via the BGS instead. Much more fun, and I don't have to worry about taking a break to do something else undoing all my hard work.

I found a "Wing" on Inara after a few months of play. The game went from fun to an awesome adventure with friends. I received tons of mentoring (for example, I got a lesson on how to read the radar in the SRV and find materials on a planet - and we raced around and I practiced "flying" in the SRV). Combat zones in a wing is fun. Wing cargo missions were lucrative. Our group took an expedition of 4-5 out to Colonia back before that was fashionable. Getting cigars and brandy is easier when a group of friends help. Some of us do BGS, some exploration, and I mostly do a little of this and that.

Joined The Fatherhood squadron, mainly cause I saw them organise the "Keelback Awareness Week"

Help out with Operation Ida when I get the chance. Those damaged station icons on my galaxy map just dig at my OCD tendencies!

Been playing a while, but I honestly have not comprehension what this BGS thingy is.

Squadron and Faction Angeli Imperial out of Wangal

That said been away from the bubble all years so...

As to why
It was a Australian and New Zealand Player group I met in 2015 so was just a home randomly picked then a PMF added and then squadron about to just have a common goal and a shared story about

Last edited:
I'm part of a squadron. It does have a minor faction attached, but only for aesthetic reasons and we don't actively support it. (And I'm permanently 22,000 LY away from it, so I definitely don't support it personally)

We're basically a bunch of people who played together long before squadrons were a thing, and mostly didn't have any other squadron to join instead. (That the nature of what we do means we tend to end up with a leaderboard trophy of some sort each season was a bit of incentive to actually set one up rather than just keep it all on Discord)

Top Bottom