Ariel circumnavigation

Today at 11:38, I arrived back at my starting point, the North Pole of Ariel.
Congratulations!
I really enjoyed following your progress. Great adventure.

I want to thank commanders Alec Turner and Florenes for their help crossing the mother of all canyons. Without their scouting efforts, I would not have made it out alive. I'll be in-game, at the north pole, tonight (01-11-2018) at 20:00 (Game time) and it would be an honor if they can join me for a group photo.
I'll be there! Thanks!

tumblr_oobgrfBtl71s9a9yjo1_500.gif

ROFL - awesome meetup at the pole tonight with Jonas and Florenus!

First we took some sensible group photos ..

rujZSIt.png

When shall we three meet again?
(Macbeth, act 1, scene 1)

KLD1nh0.png

.. then we attempted a human pyramid with Jonas on top ..

XGvwETR.png

qAiCVxb.png

ML56YMa.png

.. then I had a go ..

5wJdP1B.png

t1RZqSL.png

Tada!

Then we attempted to drive along like that ..

yExXLUv.png

It worked for a while but I think a complete circumnavigation would be challenging!

Then we decided to try and jump a nearby canyon. I kinda made it to level ground on the other side ... although my ship had different ideas about what "level" means ..

Gkns6g1.png

I have some video (hopefully) of Jonas and Florenus' tandom canyon jump which I'll upload tomorrow sometime.

That was fun! :D [haha] [yesnod]

Last edited:
So we've met on top of a moon that day.
n1kim696o7x862tzg.jpg
CMDR Jonas Treesong:
9a827nau6reey8bzg.jpg
CMDR Alec Turner:
ntzr493rwg5d0dpzg.jpg
And CMDR Me:
db47smd201837bszg.jpg
Me and Alec were discussing interesting aspects of Ariel's weather, when Jonas crept up behind us determined to scare us back to yesterday.
ubc6n6x0s6ulgr4zg.jpg
AHA!
7vu3zj2s85cawfzzg.jpg
oww...
r29js4ixiiawfbvzg.jpg
...crap!
8t4pz13w1p1jiojzg.jpg
But all this was in good fun. Later we got some backrub.
19b8a3j3w52ms1szg.jpg

Nevertheless Alec felt that this wasn't enough adrenaline for one day and decided to jump over nerby canyon.
And he did.
6u99qfw06mm1jrmzg.jpg
Almost.

But I watched him speechless.
This is me and Jonas observing Alec slowly tumbling down the opposite slope of the canyon (I'm the one speechless in this picture, Jonas is the one that looks shy):
w4hqh3bs1ceeq3qzg.jpg

After that me and Jonas decided to give it a go too.
I have no more pictures. I'm writing this from the Other side (not canyon's other side- THE Other side).

It was fun to meet with you guys :D
Thank you.

Last edited:
I have some video (hopefully) of Jonas and Florenus' tandom canyon jump which I'll upload tomorrow sometime.

That was fun! :D [haha] [yesnod]

It must be hilarious. During the run-up for the jump, I hit a boulder and veered off to the left, pretty much out of control... dove into the canyon, way too low on airspeed... did a corkscrew to save grace and ended up on a ledge with 4% hull... :)

The main canyon jump video is uploading now. It's not brilliant because I tried to keep both of you in shot and so didn't really manage a great close up of either of you but it's still a bit of a giggle. Not sure why but it got cut short before the attempted air lift of Jonas back to the top.

While you're waiting tho' here's a very short bit of video of the moving human pyramid (yeah, that really wasn't going to get very far was it! [haha])

[video=youtube_share;NhNVrfuTYOk]https://youtu.be/NhNVrfuTYOk[/video]

Jonas and Florenus do Thelma and Louise!
[haha]

Great video, thanks for posting! As you can see, I totally screwed up in the run-up...

That bit from 3:23 onward where I try to get on your ship... the game totally lost it there and I could not see where I was going. Your ship was sort of melted into the canyon wall and Florenus' ship was cut in half and flickering in and out of focus. There was really no way I could tell what was up or down. Then the whole screen started flashing like a strobe light. It was remarkable!

Killing yourself by jumping into canyon in low G:
-jump, loose control of the vehicle and start spinning like a cannonball
-scream in panic
-write your scream in chatbox
-take two long sips of tea
-consider what version of panic scream is more appropriate: "aaaaaaa", "AAAAAA" or "Aaaahhh!"
-decide to not spam chatbox with more of your screaming
-be surprised that first contact with hard surface did not kill you and you bounced off
-consider making yourself another cup of tea
-realise that jump thrusters are no longer working, so you can stop pressing the button
-decide to forget the tea for now
-try to enjoy the view, but drop it, because it's spinning too fast and it makes you feel nauseous
-have an idea to sythesize hull repair while swooping down
-start looking at the right side panel, but accidentally switch to left, centre, comms and right again
-finally find the inventory tab
-find synthesis and "SRV hull repair"
-take a moment to consider if its really worth it
-regret not having any more tea in the cup
-decide to give repair a try, because "why not"
-hit the ground second time before you actually do anything
-explode

You gotta admit it was a great experience :)
And like you said in the chat: nothing to lose!!!
I think I also added "...but my pride" (at least that's what I thought to myself), but I'm coping with that by being proud of doing it so badly that I can now be on instructional video how not to jump canyons.
;)
But yeah, I admit, it was fun :D
good company makes all things better

It was a great adventure and a great meetup. I'm kinda sad it's over...
Me too :)
You know, I was just in Pomeche system on Pomeche 2C (There's T-9 race there on Sunday and I'm kind of tempted to participate). Now that's a moon to circumnavigate if Ariel wasn't enough to make you quit ;)
uqt7f2a3sbbieaizg.jpg

You know, I was just in Pomeche system on Pomeche 2C (There's T-9 race there on Sunday and I'm kind of tempted to participate). Now that's a moon to circumnavigate if Ariel wasn't enough to make you quit ;)
Well, funny you should mention that but I did try travelling along the ridges of Synuefe VM-D C15-10 2 A which some have called "the new Pomeche". Here's my route ..

58RN4V9.png

.. and here's the video ..

[video=youtube_share;6W-T4B1hJOU]https://youtu.be/6W-T4B1hJOU[/video]

I did, briefly, ponder a circumnavigation but once you fell off the ridges there'd be no getting back up on them again!

Really enjoyed last night! Don't forget the "Truckers Up Teide" event on Sunday 11th, that should be really good fun too!

Last edited:
Well, funny you should mention that but I did try travelling along the ridges of VM-D C15-10 2 A which some have called "the new Pomeche".
First of all, that's simply incredible how you control that buggy. We all know that you're on some different skill level, but that's just jaw dropping...

...speaking of dropping,
that planet is now on my list of places to visit. I'm sure I could jump from one of those ridges and have plenty of time to make not one, but several cups of tea before reaching the bottom.
Magnificent.

First of all, that's simply incredible how you control that buggy. We all know that you're on some different skill level, but that's just jaw dropping...
Practice practice! I used to marvel at the likes of Tannik Seldon and Timmy Brabston and thought I'd never be able to drive the SRV like that. It's a really REALLY fun skill to master!

Top Bottom