Article: "Elite’s Distant Worlds 2 expedition proves the game is wildly unbalanced, and that’s OK"

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
They have a well documented history of combining general ignorance and incuriousity about a topic with willful misrepresentation of the facts to push a political agenda. You can probably research the specifics on your own. I don't think anyone is accusing this particular article of serious bias, it's just that everything coming from Polygon is automatically suspect because (A) they don't try very hard to report accurately, and (B) they are sometimes dumb on purpose.

Oooh, I see. Polygon has published a few pieces about fair representation that hurt the feelings of basement-dwelling "SJW haters", so it is now a disreputable outlet.

RW06BjM.jpg

The second comment in the article sums describes things nicely:

"No bully wants to be called out for their bullying. Doesn’t make them any less the bullies."

AFAIK, they aren't even role playing, just killing because they can. Exploration ships with little defences.

I'm thankful for Solo and PG, so I don't have to bother with these people.

Yep - A sad reflection that the most significant PvP activity reported in years, is little more than mindless destruction of other CMDRs, for no in game reason or outcome, and in reality just for schadenfreude. Four years into "the plan" and PvP is as vapid and shallow as ever...

Last edited:
Just timed my 89 jump trip from the Skaudai Guardian Ruins to Waypoint 4 in Clooku EW-Y C3-197. With my fully combat ready loadout (no modules disabled, on the off chance I need to engage in combat at an instant's notice) and my 'pretty' graphics settings (well past ultra, adding about five seconds per jump in hyperspace load times) it took me sixty-seven minutes & thirty seconds. Scorched my ship a few times keeping fuel topped up, but barely; PP still at 100% and nothing else below 97%...I also have an AFMU. I also entered the destination system with nearly full fuel.

That's just over 45 seconds per jump, average. If I knock my graphics settings down to ultra and turn off my shield generator and boosters (relying only on my 5600 hull, MRP, PDT, and heatsinks to keep me safe enough to escape trouble), I'm confident I can knock this down to sub 40 seconds a jump over a long journey, especially if I don't have the overhead of recording 65Mbps video with OBS.

I'm uploading the video now, if anyone doubts my account for some reason.

To murder explorers for Zarek. I thought that was obvious. That is the part I enjoy. Sometimes we must make sacrifices to get what we want.

although i don't agree with what going on at DG2, as you are all horrid people (and other thing according to the moral just)
[video=youtube;nZOvAH8oR-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZOvAH8oR-Y[/video]

if you could take the time to try and stop a station being built near sag A*, as a side quest... much appreciated. As the best explorer in elite, i don't like how easy it's becoming for players to tag my system!
(now you have 2 RP reasons)

Oooh, I see. Polygon has published a few pieces about fair representation that hurt the feelings of basement-dwelling "SJW haters", so it is now a disreputable outlet.

Right.

Because being critical of lies and ideologically motivated bunkum is ALWAYS just "basement-dwelling SJW haters" whining.

This is exactly the sort of narrow-minded mentality that Polygon panders to and that, in turn, is exactly why it's worthy of nothing more than contempt.

Regardless of people's opinions of Polygon based on whatever past reasons the article is mostly a subjective opinion piece the main thrust of which was the author's dissaproval and dissapointment at DG2 turning up at DW2 where they weren't invited and there was no requirement for PvP.

That's an opinion shared by many involved in ED but it still an opinion that others disagree with - either way Polygon's rep with some people over past events is entirely irrelevant to those opinions.

Regardless of people's opinions of Polygon based on whatever past reasons the article is mostly a subjective opinion piece the main thrust of which was the author's dissaproval and dissapointment at DG2 turning up at DW2 where they weren't invited and there was no requirement for PvP.

That's an opinion shared by many involved in ED but it still an opinion that others disagree with - either way Polygon's rep with some people over past events is entirely irrelevant to those opinions.

Agreed. The thing that should be stressed is: of all the opinions that someone relatively uninvolved with Elite and the community could have...he 'chose' to have objections about the salt-miners' flimsy justifications and behaviour -- rather than going "To gank farther than anyone has ganked before! Topkek! That's what emergent gameplay is like!".

How do you call a forum dad who's not on the forum, I wonder...

Not always, no. But knowing 'gamers' ... pretty damn often yeah.
I read Polygon as much (or as little) as any other website, but it's really funny how simply trying to promote fairness and combating bigotry is now "narrow-minded mentality".

No.

It's dismissing anything you don't agree with of as the product of "basement dwelling SJW haters" which DOES demonstrate a narrow-minded mentality.

Maybe you could try avoiding that?

No.

It's dismissing anything you don't agree with of as the product of "basement dwelling SJW haters" which DOES demonstrate a narrow-minded mentality.

Maybe you could try avoiding that?

I will try to avoid that. But I'm sorry, I'll also keep dismissing the opinion of whoever feels entitled to condemn a news outlet for the sole reason that, in a few occasions, said outlet has published pieces questioning how videogames represent race and gender, and argued that perhaps they could do better than they currently do. There's very little discursive wriggle room here, it is a rather basic message: you're either for it or against it.

Last edited:
Right.

Because being critical of lies and ideologically motivated bunkum is ALWAYS just "basement-dwelling SJW haters" whining.

This is exactly the sort of narrow-minded mentality that Polygon panders to and that, in turn, is exactly why it's worthy of nothing more than contempt.

What lies and ideological bunkum ?. We already did this with Voidwalker and he was proven wrong. He couldn't even quote the article accurately.

What lies and ideological bunkum ?. We already did this with Voidwalker and he was proven wrong. He couldn't even quote the article accurately.

If you really aren't aware of the ideological nonsense generated by Polygon related to things like Gamergate, feminism, diversity and ethnicity then you have no business attempting to discuss the subject.

If you really aren't aware of the ideological nonsense generated by Polygon related to things like Gamergate, feminism, diversity and ethnicity then you have no business attempting to discuss the subject.

What relevance does your historical sulk about equality have to either this article or to my post ?.

What relevance does your historical sulk about equality have to either this article or to my post ?.

What relevance do your comments have to my original assertion; that criticism can not reasonably be dismissed as being the result of "basement dwelling SJW haters"?

The simple fact is that is a media outlet has "manifest observable behaviour" indicating a specific ideological agenda then it will lose credibility among more objective observers.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom