Notice ARX FAQ

Try "a skin is 1000, you can earn 3 per week". I am utterly dumbfounded by the public's inability to grasp the realities of the "freemium" market.
This "Arx" never was, and never will be meant for your benefit. This is implemented to obfuscate real monetary cost, weasel-in overspending and precisely for the sake of the [best Jim Sterling impersonation]BUTTT YOU CAN EARN IT FOR FREE, IT IS OPTIONUUUHL[/best Jim Sterling impersonation] argument.
you are going on the guilty until proven innocent logic... which is your prerogative however being "dumbfounded" at people who are going the other way, with innocent until proven guilty is a bit strange imo. IF FD used exactly the same prices and earning power as you state then i too will think it is a waste of time, however personally until i know better I am going with a glass half full approach.
(I have plenty of stuff in ED i moan about without moaning about stuff we do not know if it will be an issue yet ;) )

(example.... C.M Dirt 2 allowed you to buy cars with real money to unlock them right away. I still earned them all in game (and on 2 separate platforms as well).
Plenty of other games have allowed players to pay to get things right away but still allowed earnable in game and I have earned plenty without paying money.

others as you say go the other way...... but until we know more I am staying positive on this.

Support Electron

Frontier
Hi, earlier I purchased "Arc" (description: This is one Arc) for 200 Frontier Points on PS4. The purchase, later on, disappeared from my list of purchases without any notification or a refund.

Hi CMDR,

Could you send us in a ticket regarding this via: https://support.frontier.co.uk/topic.php we should then be able to get this looked into further for you! :)

being "dumbfounded" at people who are going the other way, with innocent until proven guilty is a bit strange imo.
If it is a cannibalistic necrophile with a corkscrew wiener and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck. Same goes for tried and true predatory business models. The thing is, they work because people are gullible and plain stupid.

Plenty of other games have allowed players to pay to get things right away but still allowed earnable in game and I have earned plenty without paying money.
Or maybe, just maybe these players are kids with too much time on their hands, won the lottery, NEET's or compatible, etc. ¯\(ツ)

I'm NOT happy with the plan to remove buying extra's using money directly.

I don't mind an either/or arrangement, but frankly it's just smells of a way of hiding what the cost of a paint job actually is.
I've never begrudged the few pounds for each item I've purchased, but at least I know the price I have paid for each one.

.... and while we're at it;
WHAT DOES "ARX" EVEN STAND FOR?
What was wrong with "Points", at least that's a word you can understand.

unhappy now :(

I think I understand why Frontier are removing gifting, I see it as two reasons:
1) People with many alt accounts would be able to pool all their free Arx and get stuff quicker than someone with just one account. This would have people complaining.
2) Gold Farmers would have multiple accounts accruing free Arx and then selling that free Arx that they've pooled from other accounts, as I mentioned in 1) ... this also applies if you could only gift an item bought with free Arx (instead of gifting the free Arx), gold farmers would still get the free Arx, and sell the item bought using the free Arx.

Once I realised this, I don't mind Frontier removing gifting.
It'd be easier if you just bought extra's with actual money! Save all the problems.
... but at least all you get is a "paint job, bobble head or more"
Have you tried playing more that one cmdr at a time? It's quite tricky.
If you could only earn Arx by how often you land at a new port, rather than simply sitting in space dock for a few hours, that might resolve the gifting issue.
Just thinking ;)

I still reckon actual money purchases is the best method.:)

.... and while we're at it;
WHAT DOES "ARX" EVEN STAND FOR?
Have a gander:

A Really eXcellent collection of suggestions :)

It'd be easier if you just bought extra's with actual money! Save all the problems.
... but at least all you get is a "paint job, bobble head or more"
Have you tried playing more that one cmdr at a time? It's quite tricky.
If you could only earn Arx by how often you land at a new port, rather than simply sitting in space dock for a few hours, that might resolve the gifting issue.
Just thinking ;)

I still reckon actual money purchases is the best method.:)
Oh don't mis-understand here, I'm not in favour of this system, either what we're getting, or what console players have had forced on them.

And as far as Elite Dangerous goes, I do have a 2nd account I rarely use, but not multiple commanders per accounts as console players have had (Where's the parity there, Frontier? Eh?)

A huge THANK YOU. I buy dlc addons (like horizons) without a second thought; I pay for games and don’t play ftp ptw junk. I am ok with micro transactions to buy cosmetics but only if those cosmetics are also available through the usual in game grind.

This change is very welcome, again thank you.

PS: I will gladly pay for a dlc first person “walking in stations” addon that allows us to get out of our srv/ship and walk around on stations & planets, if one ever comes to pass. Dreaming of the future.

Paid DLC to support further game development = good.
Microtransactions = bad

I still think it's not unreasonable to quote a real money value for purchased items.
Make 1 Arx = £1. Nuisance for people in other countries, but with the £ at a low point, it'll be a good deal for a while. :)

I'd still prefer buying paint schemes etc. in the shop for real money and not some fake currency
and also be able to gift them to other people. These things don't affect gameplay, so what is the issue?

Do I need Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to earn of purchase Arx on console?
You will not require either Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to earn or purchase Arx in Elite Dangerous.

This is very misleading in my opinion. I can't say for PlayStation Plus, but for Xbox Live. You need Xbox Live Gold in order to play online portions of games, which in Elite Dangerous is the entire game.

So you need Xbox Live Gold in order to earn Arx, but you won't need it to purchase it.

This is very misleading in my opinion. I can't say for PlayStation Plus, but for Xbox Live. You need Xbox Live Gold in order to play online portions of games, which in Elite Dangerous is the entire game.

So you need Xbox Live Gold in order to earn Arx, but you won't need it to purchase it.

Nope, you can play solo if you dont have a PSP or XB Live Gold

The game is technially free to play. It just has an upfront purchase cost and a few paid updates. It's not like it's a sub model.

F2P does not mean it has to gouge people. It's originally meant as a mass development model that is supposed to work like book selling used to or still does. Let people have full access then pay for things if they want to maintain the game over time. Preferably indefinitely. And the more complex the game the better potentially. It was for Muds and meant for endless core expansion of the game with the greatest amount of development of the core game and the most complex game possible. Particularly as it transitioned into none text based games. Think back when games still had far more ambition behind them. And were willing to simply make changes and add things constantly.

Last edited:
Do not fall into the typical trap of having basic items cost 1000 Arx, but having the first Arx pack only contain 750 Arx meaning players would have to buy a 1500 Arx package and permannently have random odd numbers of Arx they cant do anything with.
This is how you troll.

Top Bottom