Newcomer / Intro As a newcomer to serious exploration

I'm just so excited. Possibly more excited than I've ever been playing this game. Because, for the first time, I just this moment discovered a neutron star (complete with its own family of planets). And I mean discovered, nobody else has been here before, it's not on any neutron jumping route.

No doubt seasoned adventurers have done this kind of thing many times, but I feel like I've just stepped on a first rung up the ladder of Proper Explorer. I will remember this forever. Or at least until Wednesday.

There is! It's such an important part of the game (for me), the idea that I'm doing something that's mine and mine alone, not following tramlines towards a preset target.

Now you have to deal with the discoverers dilemma, do you carry on and find new cool stuff or do you head to the nearest station with cartographics as fast as possible to ensure that you report this discovery first!

Because just like science it is the one who properly reports the discovery that gets their name in the books not necessarily the one who found it first.

I'm just so excited. Possibly more excited than I've ever been playing this game. Because, for the first time, I just this moment discovered a neutron star (complete with its own family of planets). And I mean discovered, nobody else has been here before, it's not on any neutron jumping route.

No doubt seasoned adventurers have done this kind of thing many times, but I feel like I've just stepped on a first rung up the ladder of Proper Explorer. I will remember this forever. Or at least until Wednesday.

Good for you!

Exploration still gives me a kick. I've just spent a week or so doing some side explorations to nebulae as I make my way back to Colonia for the second time and then on to Beagle Point.

Taking lots of photos and keeping a travelogue is my explorer "thing":

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/248418-Cmdr-Pingmonster-s-Interstellar-Travelogue

Keep having fun and see you out in the black.... o7!

Many congrats Rollo. Welcome to the addiction of exploration. Once you've got your 1st unnamed system in the bag, it's hard to stop :D. I also have it BAD. They're like pringles, once you pop, you can't stop. Now where was that Neutron system again? :rolleyes:

Well done OP. It's now easier than ever to find more of them. Make sure you filter the stars so only the grey (non sequence I think they're called) are showing and have the star boost option selected. Now you should see fine white lines directing you to more neutron stars, if there are more close by.

Last edited:
I had the very same emotion and dilemma when I discovered my first terrestrial... In the end, I did not rush back even if I was incredibl near to a populated system (gandharvi, as it happens) and I was repaid well, because I discovered many other interesting things nearby. Interesting things seem to go in clusters in the galaxy...

By the way, I was amazed at how many undiscovered system there were in a beeline between the bubble and Gandharvi... It seems that captains going there are not interested in exploration.

Do you know if there is some forum to discuss one's voyages and post pictures? Something like the explorer instagram?

I had the very same emotion and dilemma when I discovered my first terrestrial... In the end, I did not rush back even if I was incredibl near to a populated system (gandharvi, as it happens) and I was repaid well, because I discovered many other interesting things nearby. Interesting things seem to go in clusters in the galaxy...

By the way, I was amazed at how many undiscovered system there were in a beeline between the bubble and Gandharvi... It seems that captains going there are not interested in exploration.

Do you know if there is some forum to discuss one's voyages and post pictures? Something like the explorer instagram?

For images there is Screenies in Dangerous Discussions https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/95490-Screenie(s)?p=6143342#post6143342
I believe there is an explorers sub forum somewhere as well.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not going to rush to a populated system, and there's none particularly nearby - I'd plotted out a long loop with a stopoff in Colonia around the middle, and that's where I'm currently heading towards. However, it's a long way off, I'm hoping to arrive later this week but that'll take some effort. So hopefully nobody will nab my neutron star in the next couple of days.

Taking lots of photos and keeping a travelogue is my explorer "thing":

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/248418-Cmdr-Pingmonster-s-Interstellar-Travelogue

Keep having fun and see you out in the black.... o7!

I really like that! You've got some cracking photos in there.

This is such a fascinating galaxy we've been given.

If you have not already done so, bookmark that system. Even if nobody else goes there YOU will be able to point to it and say "I was the first person to see this system, and this is the first system that I discovered".

If you have not already done so, bookmark that system. Even if nobody else goes there YOU will be able to point to it and say "I was the first person to see this system, and this is the first system that I discovered".

, i never thought of that :rolleyes:. Best head out in the black again.

congrats on finding your first Neutron..

just wait till you find your first binary Neutron... :eek:

yq9PUA.jpg

Congratulations CMDR!

It is a great achievement and be assured, that the feeling of big discoveries never gets old. After more than 46000 scans, i still enjoy the moment of finding an earthlike or other type of cool and undiscovered celestial body.

Keep on flying!

Godspeed CMDR o7

congrats on finding your first Neutron..

just wait till you find your first binary Neutron... :eek:

Thankfully, they have these visible jets nowadays. Back then, they were tiny dots, incredibly hot and only to be noticed by their gravitational lensing effects... I found a binary system once, a few 1000 ly behind the core... I hadn't noticed, that it was a binary, orbited the main star and crashed into the exclusion zone of number two... That was one thriller of a return to the bubble... Neutron stars are brutal...

Top Bottom