ASrock X58 Extreme3
Chieftech APS-1000W PSU
i7 960 quad core £ 3.2 GHz
22 GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Crucial MX100 2,5” 250 GB SSD
Maxtor 6V200EO 7200 rpm 250 GB SATA
Thermaltake Xaser VI chassis

Approx how much should I ask for this setup?

The only things in that build that are really worth anything are the 970 and the SSD, and maybe the chassis. The CPU is from 2009 and DDR3 is old hat. I think you're better off parting it out than selling the complete system, or just basing the price on used cost of 970+SSD and a bit extra overhead for the rest. But the mobo/CPU/ram is pretty obsolete.

Last edited:
I find the machine still quite powerful and would make the happiness of many people.

The problem is that in the computing, the value quickly loses ... of its value.

Yeah it’s getting a bit old. However, still runs eg Witcher 3 in 2560x1440 on high settings without any issues. Not looking to turn a buck here, but can’t be bothered selling it piece by piece. It can most certainly give lots of playing joy to a new owner who doesn’t necessarily have to have everything on max.. Runs Elite on ultra with a wee galmap tweak at the core.

The power supply and graphics are the parts of any value in there, maybe the case if someone is into that kind of look. Even if anyone is willing to buy a used SSD, a 250GB part would be in the 10€ range including shipping. cmdrrdmc above was making an understatement with the "old hat", it's not just "DDR3", it's first-gen at that and won't go anywhere now that winter is almost over (a 130W 45nm CPU from intel's first "practical joke" series of i7 CPUs...).

I'd seriously consider selling off the PSU and graphics card and e-wasting the rest, that'd be easier to sell and ship.

Last edited:
Realistically you want to undercut any system based around a pentium G4560 or any low end Ryzen system.

The G4560 matches it's performance in most situations, even the lowest end Ryzen exceeds it by as much as 40% (in the case of the 2200G). Both have access to current RAM & motherboard technology and have a fairly decent upgrade path, unfortunately your old PC doesn't.

Personally I'd be selling your old rig for around the £200 - £250 mark with the GPU making up most of that value. Indeed you could buy an old Dell Optiplex (with a 3rd or 4th gen i7 A case & a half decent GPU & RAM for about the same price.

Yeah it’s getting a bit old. However, still runs eg Witcher 3 in 2560x1440 on high settings without any issues. Not looking to turn a buck here, but can’t be bothered selling it piece by piece. It can most certainly give lots of playing joy to a new owner who doesn’t necessarily have to have everything on max.. Runs Elite on ultra with a wee galmap tweak at the core.

I am not surprised by the performance.

It is a powerful machine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom