Hi, there. I'm new to the game, and I want to build an Asp that I can play Elite: Dangerous with. I want to be able to do exploration, but also trading. I will be playing in open mode.

Thanks commanders!

o7

[yesnod]

Welcome to the forum

Asp X is a fantastic ship, as everyone that posts afterwards will confirm :)

Here is my Asp X in exploration trim

Asp X

To reconfigure for trading, just swap a lower scoop for the AFMU perhaps, and cargo racks for the SRV and big scoop. Lots of ways to go about it.

The build I show is engineered, so don't worry if your figures (jump range, speed etc) don't match straight away.

I just realized you didn't specify if this is an Asp Explorer or Asp Scout.

Last edited:
Hi, there. I'm new to the game, and I want to build an Asp that I can play Elite: Dangerous with. I want to be able to do exploration, but also trading. I will be playing in open mode.

Thanks commanders!

o7

[yesnod]

Exploration and trading require pretty different loadouts, especially if it's in open.

You'll most likely want at least a c5 shield gen for trading in open but you can get away with a c3 while out exploring.
I use a 6A fuel scoop for my explorer Asp but that would be total overkill for trading.
Even a 5A scoop seems a bit much for traveling in the bubble at times, which is what I use on my mat collector.
The Asp is a huge target, but at least it has a decent boost speed when engineered.
That will be your best asset for not dying to another player; run.

Here's my Asp exploration loadout:
https://eddp.co/u/yvhUTp82

I don't use an Asp for trade but this should be required viewing:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...rading-in-Open-(or-just-surviving-in-general)

Asps have a great big pile of little guns, with very good convergence. You can definitely use one to fight with too.
A Sixgun Rails build is fearsome, but needs Engineering to overcome the heating problems.

Asp- a great ship. You cannot go wrong. Unless you have the Scout. [haha]

Last edited:
Exploration and trading require pretty different loadouts, especially if it's in open.

You'll most likely want at least a c5 shield gen for trading in open but you can get away with a c3 while out exploring.

My exploration AspX(s) have 3D shields and I don't hump around 4t of shield boosters either. I also have D rated thrusters with 3-nut clean drive tuning. Of course it does mean being a bit "careful" vis-à-vis high-g planets. (i.e. I don't try to land on them!)

I forgot to put in a smaller-size power plant in my latest commander's AspX so that now sports a 5D power plant with more output than I could ever possibly need - so that will probably end up in an exploraconda when this commander grows up. ;)

Personaly, I've found that haveing multiple ships built for specific endevors is more conducive. For example: A ship designed to be a small fighter can do multiple things a bit, but not very well. As a ship that is built for a specific purpose. Thus an asp can make a great, explorer, and or a great trader, but not a great explorer/trader. An explorer doesn't have any use for cargo bins which would effect range, nor if one knows how to run, need any weapons. One the other hand, a trader doesn't need AFMU's which takes up slots thus prohibits the use of more cargo bins.

I realize that most player's will or would choose a ship based on it appearence rather than it actual usefullness as designed. But I choose a ship(s) based on their designed purpose, buid and engineer them for specific roles.

I've got three conda's all haveing different load outs, and two Pythons both haveing different load outs. And one fighter with a loadout conducive to only doing pew pew and nothing else. One of my conda's is completly built and loaded out for nothing but extrem long range exploreing of space and objects. Basically it will only ever be utilized if and when there are special events. Though I'm not a member of the fuel rats yet. I've got one conda and one python built and loaded out conducive for either long rang or bubble missions, if and when the call comes in to make a rescue. One conda and one python built for bubble or long range passengers, which can be turned into trucks in a moments notice, cause I've got addintional cargo bins for each in storage. And my FAS (gave up on the Cheiftan) all built and loaded out for nothing but pew pew, with a large fuel scoop in storage, in the event that I want to change systems more than a few jumps away.

I realize one may not be able to afford separate multiple mission specific ships, and have to utilize only one or two to do any and all desired missions. Basically making them combination ships. And that's OK, but using a ship built and loaded out for multiple mission, isn't as conducive to it overall design and thus it more versatile, one isn't going to make the amount of cr's in it as they would one that is.

I got into a Python as soon as I could, and though I generally only hauled passenger's, I did have a complet set of cargo bins in storage as to be able to switch out all the cabins with, if and when I desired. Made a lot of cr's and then boough another Python, and thus no longer needed to store the cargo bins, if was easier and faster just to ship the whole ship, rather than the bins or cabins.

Personaly, I've found that haveing multiple ships built for specific endevors is more conducive. For example: A ship designed to be a small fighter can do multiple things a bit, but not very well. As a ship that is built for a specific purpose. Thus an asp can make a great, explorer, and or a great trader, but not a great explorer/trader. An explorer doesn't have any use for cargo bins which would effect range, nor if one knows how to run, need any weapons. One the other hand, a trader doesn't need AFMU's which takes up slots thus prohibits the use of more cargo bins.

I realize that most player's will or would choose a ship based on it appearence rather than it actual usefullness as designed. But I choose a ship(s) based on their designed purpose, buid and engineer them for specific roles.

I've got three conda's all haveing different load outs, and two Pythons both haveing different load outs. And one fighter with a loadout conducive to only doing pew pew and nothing else. One of my conda's is completly built and loaded out for nothing but extrem long range exploreing of space and objects. Basically it will only ever be utilized if and when there are special events. Though I'm not a member of the fuel rats yet. I've got one conda and one python built and loaded out conducive for either long rang or bubble missions, if and when the call comes in to make a rescue. One conda and one python built for bubble or long range passengers, which can be turned into trucks in a moments notice, cause I've got addintional cargo bins for each in storage. And my FAS (gave up on the Cheiftan) all built and loaded out for nothing but pew pew, with a large fuel scoop in storage, in the event that I want to change systems more than a few jumps away.

I realize one may not be able to afford separate multiple mission specific ships, and have to utilize only one or two to do any and all desired missions. Basically making them combination ships. And that's OK, but using a ship built and loaded out for multiple mission, isn't as conducive to it overall design and thus it more versatile, one isn't going to make the amount of cr's in it as they would one that is.

I got into a Python as soon as I could, and though I generally only hauled passenger's, I did have a complet set of cargo bins in storage as to be able to switch out all the cabins with, if and when I desired. Made a lot of cr's and then boough another Python, and thus no longer needed to store the cargo bins, if was easier and faster just to ship the whole ship, rather than the bins or cabins.

Outstanding post, repped. o7

I don't have any great wisdom on the Asp X as I defer to the more experienced pilots here. I will say that the 6A scoop is insanely expensive but I gotta say, doing a big string of hops it's so great to get the scooping done as quickly as possible. The other benefit is reducing how much time you're skimming a star, which even with the right touch you can still mess up from time to time and risk getting a little toasty and knocking you out of supercruise.

Outstanding post, repped. o7

I don't have any great wisdom on the Asp X as I defer to the more experienced pilots here. I will say that the 6A scoop is insanely expensive but I gotta say, doing a big string of hops it's so great to get the scooping done as quickly as possible. The other benefit is reducing how much time you're skimming a star, which even with the right touch you can still mess up from time to time and risk getting a little toasty and knocking you out of supercruise.

It is worth considering the 6B scoop which is only six seconds slower than the 6A to fill an empty tank and about 21,000,000 cheaper.

Top Bottom