Ships Asp Scout Asp Scout Appreciation Thread

I would not describe myself exactly as a fan of the Asp Scout. It does serve my purposes well as a dedicated Guardian site survey ship in Pencil Nebula. I use it far more than I've ever used a Dropship so there's that.

Aurora Astrum (20200524-165011).jpg

even though I love my Keelback more than anything, I gave an Asp Scout a try. I simply do not get warm with the Cobra MK III or Viper IV. So...here we go.

It is simply great. It is like a "Fastback"-ASP Explorer. your view is better than inside of the Asp X because of the missing thrusters in front. It is so nimble, Wonderful. It has more Cargo space than the Cobra. It feels very safe and Special. Mine is rather Cold (not optimized).

I feel like wearing a polo-Shirt with a scarf, driving to the golf Course. Like a cool sporty, powerful but cruising convertible.

I don´t understand, why this ship is the most hated one. It might be expensive. But as noobs earn their Cutters within a week of grinding, and a fleet carrier within a month, this should not really be an argument against the Scout.

Been slowly engineering modules for one, and using it as a collector for mats.
It's growing on me, as a general purpose ship - but IDK about any serious combat with it. Money no longer matters at these low levels, so cost - meh.

This probably isn't the ship you might want to uber-engineer fully, as a few changes give a fairly good improvement.

It's easy to land, at least, and you can drive out forward unlike the Cobra. Overall it's more capable than the Cobra IV but it really could use another utility slot.

So far I just did the FSD and Thrusters to G5 and added the experimentals. Tried lightweighting the sensors- made no difference to performance.
My non combat build has no weapons, so a size 3 PP is sufficient. Looking to do the Distro next. It does 365 or so max speed, boosts at 492 at present loadout. Jumps 45LY, and with the 5A fuel scoop- she's easy to travel with.

View attachment 166467
I've been trying to get into the AspScout for something. This is my scratch, short range mining build. A handy vessel to have.

She looks really great!

Been slowly engineering modules for one, and using it as a collector for mats.
It's growing on me, as a general purpose ship - but IDK about any serious combat with it. Money no longer matters at these low levels, so cost - meh.

This probably isn't the ship you might want to uber-engineer fully, as a few changes give a fairly good improvement.

It's easy to land, at least, and you can drive out forward unlike the Cobra. Overall it's more capable than the Cobra IV but it really could use another utility slot.

So far I just did the FSD and Thrusters to G5 and added the experimentals. Tried lightweighting the sensors- made no difference to performance.
My non combat build has no weapons, so a size 3 PP is sufficient. Looking to do the Distro next. It does 365 or so max speed, boosts at 492 at present loadout. Jumps 45LY, and with the 5A fuel scoop- she's easy to travel with.

She looks really great!

Its not great at PvP combat, if you are talking about competing against mid sized combat ships then forget it. It can get away OK because of its nimbleness. Fighting against small craft, like other cobra's or viper's can be fun. Given then all pilots are capable of course.

As for PvE, you can actually accomplish anything combat wise in it. I'm not sure that is as much an endorsement of the ship or the weakness of the games AI but for PvE gameplay you can live in this ship and feel safe.

Well as the OP said: to fight me Mr. Chieftain, you have to pull me down out of supercruise. Good luck with that. It's almost impossible to outmaneuver the Scout.

Put a pair of frags on mine, with Drag munitions/Corrosive. It helps to offset the medium ship flight advantage, but I can't win against them in a fair fight. Against small ships, though - no problems. There is a pretty high hull hardness on the Scout, I would wager. And the guns have a real tight central grouping. Of course, with frags that doesnt matter much. 😁

because an asp scout appreciation thread wouldn't be complete without a custom built lego model. shout out to @Rubbernuke for the great work

Getting used to the Asp Scout's fantastic handling can make it genuinely hard to go back to other ships. It is theoretically not my most capable explorer but the one I use the most, for sure. When you are stuck with a ship for weeks or months, you better like the flight feel or it is gonna be a long trip back.

ed_exp_carbonstar_01.jpg

ed_exp_etc14.jpg

Top Bottom