General Assign NPC crew members to the spare cockpit seat so we can actually see our NPC crew members in our cockpits!!

76151120-AFB9-45DC-8BA8-4DD7A9A9CA12.jpeg

*edited: The request for ship NPC crews are something which have cropped up multiple times in the past and initially FD themselves were speculating a ‘proposal’ along the lines of dedicated NPC crews and functions not just Pilots ‘in seats’ but actual gameplay; alongside ship interiors.

The evidence is held within the archived design discussion thread; as well as with in initial kickstarter stretch goals and various development comments (see below).

These were ‘proposals’ circa 2013, so it’s likely (due to the existence of Odyssey) that the feedback FD had back then was either negative, inconclusive, or too timely as Dev’s had mentioned the creation of NPC crews / contacts etc were not necessarily (historically) a technical issue but one of sufficient time to code.

*edit: FD stated at Lavecon 2016 in a QA that AI Crew we’re not in the pipeline.

FD are not beholden to us, they’re a business so such concepts require comparative value to warrant proper investment.

David Braben described Odyssey as ‘a new era’. So it’s possible such historical concepts are just that, archived ideas which are not set in stone nor locked into some supposed development direction.

Personally I love the idea of an NPC crew generally, but certainly as FD initially outlined them as an involved game mechanism. I own only 1 Cmdr skin, out of preference, but this (and anything like interiors) would certainly go towards encouraging me to buy additional skins for crew.

There are a lot of Cmdrs with multiple accounts and fleets of ships, we already buy skins for 1 character, how much revenue would visible NPC crews generate if we had x3 crew or more, all with purchasable skins!

Crew management would add additional content, validating interiors whilst encouraging game sales generally, as would ship to ship boarding and exploration, and of course it would keep Cmdrs playing more often, which is FD’s ultimate goal because the more Cmdrs play, the more likely they are to be influenced to buy skins/ARX.

But all of this is reliant upon actual in-depth gameplay across the board. Odyssey shows us how unfocused FD can be, as it is primarily a FPS, capitalising on a certain demographic, not a great deal of attention was given to other game styles.

‘Elite feet’ was dreamt of being that catch-all.

Some (but not all), hoped this is what Odyssey would contain, not because it was ‘promised’ (because it never was) but because it was a logical progression upon existing concepts which could support / give credence to additional content.

The FD statements against ‘interiors’ is commendable at least because FD are providing some clarification at long last, that interiors etc are not something they’ve actively progressed.

It is however a real missed opportunity, and I would suspect an indication of how such concepts aren’t actively being developed.

I only hope the significant dent Odyssey has had gives FD the incentive to revisit these development concepts and utilities them.

They put Carrier interiors in-game, they can pop an NPC in a chair.

“You're gonna come out rich. We're gonna come out dead.” Ship Crews - Elite Dangerous.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-the-commanders-2-3-beta.325278/post-5187243

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...en-ai-crew-are-introduced.296237/post-4615002

*time stamp 5:52 ‘Would it be possible to have hired NPC wing mates and crew? “Something we want to do’ ‘we don’t know when it will be”.”something I think is really good, especially if you’re playing single player”.
Source: https://youtu.be/RdP1DmRYco8

Last edited:
For 4 things:

1) Normally and as in other games, the proportion of users who write in the forums is marginal in relation to the total number of players. This is one of the reasons why FD (and other companies) don't listen to their players too much here, for them we are just a "noisy minority".

2) Even assuming that thousands of players wrote to this thread (which is not the case), and assuming that thousands of players coordinate with each other to stop playing simultaneously (which would be very difficult ) and assuming that these thousands were a proportion to the total large enough to attract FD's attention, FD would not be able to identify the 'rebellious' players (those who stop playing), those who stop playing for other reasons or those that are simply stopping playing temporarily with no intention of quitting the game.

3) This is a personal opinion and I assume I may be wrong: I think for FD, ED is a 'by-product'. Unlike Hello Games, or Robert Space Industries, where their game is their main product and all development resources are directed to it, I think that for FD, ED is a product that is not offering the benefits that they expected, and for Therefore, their attention to the project is residual, just enough so that it remains minimally competitive in the market and does not have to turn off the lights too soon.

4) In relation to 3, and as another personal opinion, I sincerely believe that FD already knows that ED will die soon, that it will really be widely surpassed by new products on the market and that any investment of time and development is no longer profitable, which , subtracts motivation for its gradual improvement.
Agreed. Well said.

If they add the ability to walk around the ship, it would be great to be able to visit a “command center” behind you where you can see your crew idling or preparing to launch in an SLF

I think NPC crews have a lot of potential, especially on Warship-esqe ships like the Anaconda and Corvette

Remember these… they were a number of animated (motion cap) videos of NPCs inside a 3D ship bridge model (one looked like a Krait), with shadows etc…, there were a number in the game files (since scrubbed), only one had sound where the character invites the player to the ship to learn more?

What did it all mean, who knows, probably not at all relevant, only FD can say, maybe just a mock-up for some long dropped content, but it shows they can do it…

Source: https://youtu.be/-WzS-n0EiCI
A761C88C-3681-44A0-9EF3-11C57C017C2D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thinking about technical obstacles, the one that comes to mind is that if the seats are occupied by NPCs, where will any Cmdr crew sit?

Not an insurmountable problem, but it is one.
Not necessarily, I don’t think that was ever a consideration not if your solo, Braben even said regards crews “good for single player”.

I don’t believe it’s a technically issue, as in one of the comments off FD regarding this was, it’s an issue of time, to write it.

I can only assume, due to the presence of Odyssey, and FD current opinion that ‘interiors’ had not been considered (at least currently) that such historical content was simply dropped, for whatever reason.

Maybe simply it fell within the ‘too time consuming to write’ not economical enough to invest.

All this is just conjecture of course.

Last edited:
Let's show how much it matters to us :

Throwing money at it short term for NPC crews / interiors won’t necessarily help.

Remember ED is not a community project nor subscription based provider, the kickstarter was to assess if the game was worth investment.

FD have actively avoided subscription, in game advertising, focusing upon skins and ARX as a method of regular income off the game perpetually.

FD are not beholden to us, I can only assume they don’t possess the in house resources to produce such one-off content, on the fly / in response to community demands.

There are 3 potential outcomes here; one is that FD have effectively moved on from their initial broadcasted development scope, and Odyssey is some totally different iteration of past development, capitalising upon a certain demographic or market. Their follow up seasons are likewise flexible dependant upon the current market trend.

Two is that in FD perspective they have achieved said proposed content, in the form of ‘pilot NPCs’ etc, the objective was addressed, achieved and case closed, ‘green flag’ it works. Anything else was assessed as impractical, not cost effective.

The other is that such content, not just NPCs crews and interiors etc are planned for a future season, but only when it is economically practical to do so with their resources.

FD are generally tight lipped around their future plans, which is a cautious approach relative to the companies size, this gives them freedom to place their resources where they want and means they have no commitments.

All we can do as customers is to continually provide FD with positive and constructive feedback, FD do have a suggestions thread, they say they read it.

If NPC crews / interiors etc are seen as an effective capital investment; eg providing FD the ability to sell more skins and ARX ‘regularly’ well that’s up to FD to decide.

But it does seem to be pretty obvious having more ‘visible’ crew within the interiors of your ship, enables the purchase of separate multiple skins, and any additional NPC crew management mechanisms would provide additional ‘grind’ to keep people playing, which means more influence towards ARX purchase.

Such investment would result in a season based update, not a one off DLC. It’s a question of if FD are actively developing these concepts or not; if they aren’t and their approach is more market driven then I suspect that such concepts are unlikely to see the light of day, albeit only in some rudimentary or poor state.

75E76DCB-D9F1-429F-9D8B-19A1FE354766.gif

Last edited:
Throwing money at it won’t necessarily help.

There are 3 potential outcomes here; one is that FD have effectively moved on, and Odyssey is some totally different iteration of past development, capitalising upon a certain demographic or market. Their follow up seasons are likewise flexible dependant upon the current market trend.

Two is that in FD perspective they have achieved said proposed content, in the form of ‘pilot NPCs’ etc, the objective was addressed, achieved and case closed, ‘green flag’ it works.

The other is that such content, not just NPCs crews and interiors etc are planned for a future season.

FD are generally tight lipped around their future plans, which is a cautious approach relative to the companies size, this gives them freedom to place their resources where they want and means they have no commitments. Remember ED is not a community project, the kickstarter was to assess if the game was worth investment.

All we can do as customers (and I don’t see us as a majority; everyone has an equal opinion) is to continually provide FD with positive and constructive feedback, FD do have a suggestions thread, they say they read it.

If NPC crews are seen as an effective capital investment; eg providing FD the ability to sell more skins and ARX, well that’s up to FD to decide. But it does seem to be pretty obvious.

View attachment 288664

Even the option of having an NPC could be bought with ARX and believe me many would buy it.

Cheap option:

Under key number 4 (info screen thing) in the 'Ship' tabulation, add another button called 'NPC Crew' (or something like that). And when you have a ship that is capable of 2 crew (or more) you can hire those NPC's (that so far only work in ships with a fighter bay) and they 'sit' in this screen costing you money and earning rank depending on what happens etc.

IF another player comes on board to sit in the other cockpit (for multicrew etc), the NPC's just stay 'on your ship' in that 'screen', still costing you money BUT not gaining XP unless there is a spare cockpit for them to use.

We don't actually NEED to see them sitting in the spare seats (would be nice though), but we do NEED to be able to hire them and have them ON OUR ship as we used to in Frontier and FFE imho.

As for paying Fdev extra to do this, i would have a moral issue with that as this is already something we can do in the previous games from 20 years ago. It's not a new or especially hard feature to code (in the format i described above), it should be part of the default game experience as it was in the previous games.

Last edited:
Let's show how much it matters to us :

FD do have a suggestions thread, they say they read it.
They do read it, just don't really comment very often but a CM commented on a thread I took part in about landable SLF's, liking the idea and promising to pass the request on.
The problem with Fdev is you just have to be patient; took them forever to add in an orrery (long after most people stopped asking for it), limpets have been given a <crap> multi-makeover, PowerPlay - well, maybe next year Rubbernuke...
They definitely march to the beat of their own drummer
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HuIRNWgkAg
:)
o7

Top Bottom