Asteroid Landing - Cool or Silly?

Probably the least important suggestion of all time because more likely silly than actually useful but I think it be cool! Landing on an Asteroid! :D

Now, I can't deny the inspiration comes straight out of Star Wars because of two very exceptional scenes from both Empire Strikes Back (Millennium Falcon evading Tie Fighters in an Asteroid Field) and Attack of the Clones (Jango Fett chasing Obi-Wan in an Asteroid Field). But would that not be cool to be able to land on an asteroid!? But how would that translate in Elite Dangerous... after all, E:D is moreso on realism than it is on space fantasy.

So I'm thinking a combination of things and it almost certainly means changes to asteroid belts too... which I think will not happen. but anyhow, a module with a grapple-landing feature to attach to surfaces in motion would be the first step. You'd have to match the speed of the asteroids rotation as you land and then grab the surface with the landing gear module. And that sounds simple enough.

The hard part is for this to be practical and useful would probably mean more dynamic size differences among asteroids in much larger proportions. Some asteroids to be huge... some of them with holes to fly through. Maybe even mining lasers actually cut holes into asteroids and possibly more denser materials in the center than at its edge (though that would be even more crazy talk in terms of development I think). Maybe factoring in prospecting asteroids or other explorative features?

And then ofcourse, the Star Wars fantasy itself.... being able to evade chase by flying around a HUGE asteroid and landing on the otherside, turn off the ship and your blimp disappears on radar! :O :D

But alas this is probably just a dream. But a good dream to ponder at that! :)

translator

I particularly liked the asteroid H-047-c of the game Mass Effect Andromeda.. for a giant asteroid for example.. with gravity effect, the muffled sound .. ect ..

despite the fact that this game is starting with a bad reputation because of its character animations.

https://youtu.be/PWc6l-ZrKMI?t=102

just an example of an asteroid.

translator

I particularly liked the asteroid H-047-c of the game Mass Effect Andromeda.. for a giant asteroid for example.. with gravity effect, the muffled sound .. ect ..

despite the fact that this game is starting with a bad reputation because of its character animations.

https://youtu.be/PWc6l-ZrKMI?t=102

just an example of an asteroid.
H-047-c is a destroyed planet (I did like that one too, though mostly for the views). There was also X57 in ME1, which was an asteroid one could land on and explore. But in Elite we do have some tiny planets we can land on. The main problem with landing on the asteroids in Elite is that most of them are too small. On the other hand, we have several stations inside asteroids, so we could certainly have asteroids without stations inside that are just as big and possibly we could land on them. FD would have to introduce astronomical bodies which use planetary mechanics (gravity, ability to land) but are even smaller than any planets and moons out there. That would be really cool if we could find stuff like that within asteroid fields.

Top Bottom