Astronomy and optics wins! Incorrect skybox color tint is finally slated for fixing.

Before you will grab pitchforks - this whole discussion is about skybox only! The tinting applied to any local system objects like planets, stations, ship interiors - is fine, looks really great, and will not be touched!
I know (from monitoring forum) that considerable amount of players were upset by very wrong (from point of view of Optics and Astronomy) skybox tinting by local star light, introduced in the last Beyond update. Mainly this topic is for them, i suppose :)

Well, as to me - being well-familiar with physics and astronomy, i disliked this strongly as well. But moreover, being a big fan of "hard sci-fi", i just could not play ED anymore, because whole immersion went off completely with this acid, NMS-like colored skyboxes.
You probably remember all this old classics? Scenes with Nostromo and Sulaco in space in "Alien" / "Aliens" movies. "2001: A space odyssey". Short moments showing Predator's ship on the Earth orbit in space in the "Predator". They cannot be "unseen", and once you watched them - the true Space will always be for you the Bottomless Blackness with scattering of sharp almost white needles of stars, and a "river" of barely seen whitish Milky Way, and nothing more (of course, unless you are inside dense nebula). The last thing is especially important - because Milky Way is kind of "biggest" object in the sky, which attracts eye most of all, so its authenticity is of most importance. And you know, it's called Milky Way not just like that - it's because it's really "Milky", whitish.

So, when i suddenly discovered after last Beyond update, that Milky Way, all nebula, and actually whole skybox became purple in 88% of all systems (yes, that's the rough percentage of K and M stars in our galaxy) - it was so terrible blow to game visuals and immersion for me, that i just stopped playing ED completely. However, i still had a hope, that it is not intentional effect, and that FDev will agree to fix it sooner or later, taking into account how strongly it contradicts Optics/Physics/Astronomy, while the ED was always positioned as "hard sci-fi" game.
Well, finally, the miracle occurred! The report about erroneous skybox tinting not only reached "Confirmed" status after long wait, but today it got "Acknowledged" status https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/230

What can i say... God bless FDev :) I'm already installing ED back onto my PC after 3 months without it. And i was so missing it all this time!

P.S. Just for reference - here are examples of that wrong skybox tinting:
This is how Magellanic Clouds looked before tint was introduced and affected skybox: Source: https://i.imgur.com/QeDgptD.jpg

This is how Magellanic Clouds look now (from the same K-star system from the same point in system): Source: https://i.imgur.com/D4E2Fzv.jpg

Here is both screenshots splitting the same image to see the contrast: Source: https://i.imgur.com/k6ck6fW.jpg

I know that some people find the "tinted" variant more appealing. Well... tastes differ... But i still think that at least basic Optics laws must go first. And also personally i prefer the before-tinted view. It looks more clear, calm, and beauty because of colors diversity on skybox. And much better resembles that space scenes from classics sci-fi movies mentioned above. While with tint, whole skybox is just monotonically purple in most of systems, which looks depressive to my mind, and i'd say - arcade-like, NMS-like. It can be beauty in its way, but i believe it's not ED way, and i'm glad that FDev agreed with that.

P.P.S. I must repeat again - tinting on all local objects in star system is great, and it will be preserved of course, i believe! :)

Last edited:
As I said in related posts, I struggle to see a fix for this. As far as I can tell, as someone who writes GLSL shaders, this is a post-processing effect applied at the end of the rendering pipeline, after the 3D scene has been rendered to a 2D image (a fragment shader) - that's why it's applied "globally". The best that they could do is allow users to disable or reduce the effect – there would be no way of extricating skybox from hud etc, since they're distinguish at an earlier stage in the pipeline. Again, as far as I can tell. :(

Last edited:
I’m not an astronomer, physicist or remotely knowledgeable about the coding of such things. I will still be glad to remove the rose tinted spectacles that were shoved onto my face a few months back - if it is something that can be fixed.

Gee thanks.. I love the new lighting. They better keep it. Or else I am not going to play anymore. 😡

joking
but I do like the new lighting!

Gee thanks.. I love the new lighting. They better keep it. Or else I am not going to play anymore. 😡

joking
but I do like the new lighting!
The best solution would be to introduce a toggle and % slider. The simplest thing in the world and it would keep everyone happy. I'm surprised that they didn't add it to the graphics options from the outset. You'd lose all of the other tint effects of course.

Last edited:
Looks like they acknowledged just about all the confirmed bugs. More worrying too me is that they've marked some as invalid that are very valid.... With no reason given. Oh fdev.

As I said in related posts, I struggle to see a fix for this. As far as I can tell, as someone who writes GLSL shaders, this is a post-processing effect applied at the end of the rendering pipeline, after the 3D scene has been rendered to a 2D image (a fragment shader) - that's why it's applied "globally". The best that they could do is allow users to disable or reduce the effect – there would be no way of extricating skybox from hud etc, since they're distinguish at an earlier stage in the pipeline. Again, as far as I can tell. :(
I know just enough to be dangerous, but what if they are rendering multiple layers, thus allowing them to separate the skybox from the other 3D assets? Someones when I quit the game while in a station, the station disappears, but the skybox (which was totally blocked since I was in a hangar) becomes visible, and it's rotating (as in, I'm rotating), as if were rendered completely separate from the station itself. Isn't this a "thing" in advanced 3D graphics?

However they fix it, I welcome the fix.

Before you will grab pitchforks - this whole discussion is about skybox only! The tinting applied to any local system objects like planets, stations, ship interiors - is fine, looks really great, and will not be touched!
I know (from monitoring forum) that considerable amount of players were upset by very wrong (from point of view of Optics and Astronomy) skybox tinting by local star light, introduced in the last Beyond update. Mainly this topic is for them, i suppose :)

Well, as to me - being well-familiar with physics and astronomy, i disliked this strongly as well. But moreover, being a big fan of "hard sci-fi", i just could not play ED anymore, because whole immersion went off completely with this acid, NMS-like colored skyboxes.
You probably remember all this old classics? Scenes with Nostromo and Sulaco in space in "Alien" / "Aliens" movies. "2001: A space odyssey". Short moments showing Predator's ship on the Earth orbit in space in the "Predator". They cannot be "unseen", and once you watched them - the true Space will always be for you the Bottomless Blackness with scattering of sharp almost white needles of stars, and a "river" of barely seen whitish Milky Way, and nothing more (of course, unless you are inside dense nebula). The last thing is especially important - because Milky Way is kind of "biggest" object in the sky, which attracts eye most of all, so its authenticity is of most importance. And you know, it's called Milky Way not just like that - it's because it's really "Milky", whitish.

So, when i suddenly discovered after last Beyond update, that Milky Way, all nebula, and actually whole skybox became purple in 88% of all systems (yes, that's the rough percentage of K and M stars in our galaxy) - it was so terrible blow to game visuals and immersion for me, that i just stopped playing ED completely. However, i still had a hope, that it is not intentional effect, and that FDev will agree to fix it sooner or later, taking into account how strongly it contradicts Optics/Physics/Astronomy, while the ED was always positioned as "hard sci-fi" game.
Well, finally, the miracle occurred! The report about erroneous skybox tinting not only reached "Confirmed" status after long wait, but today it got "Acknowledged" status https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/230

What can i say... God bless FDev :) I'm already installing ED back onto my PC after 3 months without it. And i was so missing it all this time!

P.S. Just for reference - here are examples of that wrong skybox tinting:
This is how Magellanic Clouds looked before tint was introduced and affected skybox: Source: https://i.imgur.com/QeDgptD.jpg

This is how Magellanic Clouds look now (from the same K-star system from the same point in system): Source: https://i.imgur.com/D4E2Fzv.jpg

Here is both screenshots splitting the same image to see the contrast: Source: https://i.imgur.com/k6ck6fW.jpg

I know that some people find the "tinted" variant more appealing. Well... tastes differ... But i still think that at least basic Optics laws must go first. And also personally i prefer the before-tinted view. It looks more clear, calm, and beauty because of colors diversity on skybox. And much better resembles that space scenes from classics sci-fi movies mentioned above. While with tint, whole skybox is just monotonically purple in most of systems, which looks depressive to my mind, and i'd say - arcade-like, NMS-like. It can be beauty in its way, but i believe it's not ED way, and i'm glad that FDev agreed with that.

P.P.S. I must repeat again - tinting on all local objects in star system is great, and it will be preserved of course, i believe! :)
Bravo! And thank you for saying this and saving me several hours crafting a double post on this topic. Good to have fellow pro science people in the forums and I especially related to the part about the classic films accurate rendition of inky black space. This is space as humans would see it with their own eyes. Not the NMS paint-by-numbers space nursery color scheme malarkey.

Top Bottom