Astronomy and optics wins! Incorrect skybox color tint is finally slated for fixing.

I know just enough to be dangerous, but what if they are rendering multiple layers, thus allowing them to separate the skybox from the other 3D assets? Someones when I quit the game while in a station, the station disappears, but the skybox (which was totally blocked since I was in a hangar) becomes visible, and it's rotating (as in, I'm rotating), as if were rendered completely separate from the station itself. Isn't this a "thing" in advanced 3D graphics?

However they fix it, I welcome the fix.
Hi Old Duck :) - that's probably more to do with the object hierarchy further down the chain, in 3D space. The main benefit of post-processing shaders is that they're fairly cheap in computational terms since you're just working with and on pixel data. There's no way to cleanly discern different objects in the scene as you could with 3D data. It's comparable to committing a 3D scene to film and then applying filter effects in editing software. You can pass variables from the game to modulate the filters in real-time so it's quite powerful (distance from star etc), but the filter itself is only ever applied to pixel data. If they could do it with whatever method they're using, I'm sure that they would have addressed some of the dimming issues on the HUD and so on. I've not used GLSL in a game development context so their implementation might be more sophisticated than I'm suggesting, but that would kind of defeat the object of using them, which is fairly dynamic and dramatic effects at modest computational cost. It certainly looks like a plain old set of 2D filters applied at the end of the pipeline to me.

P.S If you examine the images above you can see that every element on-screen shows the signs of being shifted towards a given part of the colour spectrum. I would much prefer a more natural looking Milky Way, but for me the unnatural effect that it has on the HUD is the more disconcerting.

Last edited:
Good. The color grading introduced with 3.3 is, quite frankly, very ugly. I guess I understand why they wanted to do it though. It’s a very cheap method of mimicking indirect lighting, which (for example) can make the shadows of a scene appear to have the color of the main light bouncing into them.

I would much sooner go without it though, since a full screen color grading method affects everything in the scene, which corrupts the colors of the hud and galactic background. It is also not occluded by geometry, which means that the colors are even screwed up on the night side of planets and inside of stations.

In my opinion, Frontier either needs to find a proper way to create the effect they were going for here by using more modern lighting methods, or not attempt it.

I guess I should start a bunch of threads about how the audio isn't exactly like real life.

It's a game. Holy smacks.
I am definitely with the OP on this one. Most sci-fi has kind just rolled with sound in space thing so I am not really bothered by it in Elite. Having the galaxy itself turn, orange, red, blue, or some other variation due to the star in the system is incredibly jarring. This is a space simulation after all. Sure there are some things that aren't just right but tinting whole galactic skybox is way too far in my opinion.

1) It's not sound in space, it's your ship's computer simulating sounds for better spatial awareness. Right?

2) It's entirely possible there are multiple layers, cameras, cameras with layers, and whatnot in the Cobra Engine and technically it might be possible to do separate post-processing fx on such entities. I'm not familiar with Cobra but what we do at work (using Unity) is we have one post processing effect for the scene proper and another for the GUI elements, which for VR users are actual surfaces in the scene (because a head-locked HUD overlay in VR is just wrong ). Earlier we had only one global post proc, and in some 'dreamy' scenes the slight bloom (I know, I know, it's not 2006, but subtle bloom can actually look nice) just made the GUI look all "fuzzy". So we split it.

I don't play much lately, but when I occasionally fire the game up and fly a bit I mostly have the bad feeling this star-light shading comes from a fantasy wonderland. I am still for a full roll-back to graphis as they were before the last beyond-update.

Before you will grab pitchforks - this whole discussion is about skybox only! The tinting applied to any local system objects like planets, stations, ship interiors - is fine, looks really great, and will not be touched!
I know (from monitoring forum) that considerable amount of players were upset by very wrong (from point of view of Optics and Astronomy) skybox tinting by local star light, introduced in the last Beyond update. Mainly this topic is for them, i suppose :)

Well, as to me - being well-familiar with physics and astronomy, i disliked this strongly as well. But moreover, being a big fan of "hard sci-fi", i just could not play ED anymore, because whole immersion went off completely with this acid, NMS-like colored skyboxes.
You probably remember all this old classics? Scenes with Nostromo and Sulaco in space in "Alien" / "Aliens" movies. "2001: A space odyssey". Short moments showing Predator's ship on the Earth orbit in space in the "Predator". They cannot be "unseen", and once you watched them - the true Space will always be for you the Bottomless Blackness with scattering of sharp almost white needles of stars, and a "river" of barely seen whitish Milky Way, and nothing more (of course, unless you are inside dense nebula). The last thing is especially important - because Milky Way is kind of "biggest" object in the sky, which attracts eye most of all, so its authenticity is of most importance. And you know, it's called Milky Way not just like that - it's because it's really "Milky", whitish.

So, when i suddenly discovered after last Beyond update, that Milky Way, all nebula, and actually whole skybox became purple in 88% of all systems (yes, that's the rough percentage of K and M stars in our galaxy) - it was so terrible blow to game visuals and immersion for me, that i just stopped playing ED completely. However, i still had a hope, that it is not intentional effect, and that FDev will agree to fix it sooner or later, taking into account how strongly it contradicts Optics/Physics/Astronomy, while the ED was always positioned as "hard sci-fi" game.
Well, finally, the miracle occurred! The report about erroneous skybox tinting not only reached "Confirmed" status after long wait, but today it got "Acknowledged" status https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/230

What can i say... God bless FDev :) I'm already installing ED back onto my PC after 3 months without it. And i was so missing it all this time!

P.S. Just for reference - here are examples of that wrong skybox tinting:
This is how Magellanic Clouds looked before tint was introduced and affected skybox: Source: https://i.imgur.com/QeDgptD.jpg

This is how Magellanic Clouds look now (from the same K-star system from the same point in system): Source: https://i.imgur.com/D4E2Fzv.jpg

Here is both screenshots splitting the same image to see the contrast: Source: https://i.imgur.com/k6ck6fW.jpg

I know that some people find the "tinted" variant more appealing. Well... tastes differ... But i still think that at least basic Optics laws must go first. And also personally i prefer the before-tinted view. It looks more clear, calm, and beauty because of colors diversity on skybox. And much better resembles that space scenes from classics sci-fi movies mentioned above. While with tint, whole skybox is just monotonically purple in most of systems, which looks depressive to my mind, and i'd say - arcade-like, NMS-like. It can be beauty in its way, but i believe it's not ED way, and i'm glad that FDev agreed with that.

P.P.S. I must repeat again - tinting on all local objects in star system is great, and it will be preserved of course, i believe! :)
OMG OMG OMG! This is my issue! I raised the first bug report in beta and ranted (in a civilized way) so much on the forum about that! I hate it everytime I arrive in a new system! Being finally acknoledged as an issue is great news! Kill this horribly unscientifically tinting nonsense! Kill it with fire!

OMG OMG OMG! This is my issue! I raised the first bug report in beta and ranted (in a civilized way) so much on the forum about that! I hate it everytime I arrive in a new system! Being finally acknoledged as an issue is great news! Kill this horribly unscientifically tinting nonsense! Kill it with fire!
However if I try to open the issue I get this:

"The issue could not be loaded."

It seems the issue is too big for the web-servers...

Thing is, at least in First Encounters there was an option for space being blue or back, and you were able to turn off all the space dust that looked a bit silly. OPTIONS! To make the game suit individual tastes! It's marvellous! ...
By the way, in ED there is a possibility to remove "space dust", either in normal flight, or in SC, or in both. The cure is here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/dust-buster-the-space-dust-removal-mod.260740/page-6#post-7255229
Initially i saw that post i thought that it would be hacky-tricky-difficult. But it's really easy-to-apply - just unpack files to ED folder and check readme.txt
I was extremely happy when finally got rid of that stupid arcade-like "snow in space"

Thing is, at least in First Encounters there was an option for space being blue or back, and you were able to turn off all the space dust that looked a bit silly. OPTIONS! To make the game suit individual tastes! It's marvellous! ...
I swear I was driving through a blizzard the other day. Usually I don't notice space (and planet) dust, but sometimes it's ridiculous!

I'm definitely a proponent of options, especially on consoles were we can't go tweaking config files. There would be no EBL for me to complain about if I had some rudimentary control over shadow quality!

Wasn't that an option that someone added later and not an official part of the game?

By the way, in ED there is a possibility to remove "space dust", either in normal flight, or in SC, or in both. The cure is here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/dust-buster-the-space-dust-removal-mod.260740/page-6#post-7255229
Initially i saw that post i thought that it would be hacky-tricky-difficult. But it's really easy-to-apply - just unpack files to ED folder and check readme.txt
I was extremely happy when finally got rid of that stupid arcade-like "snow in space"
Thanks for that! Looks massively better without the silly snow. Might have to put it back in normal space though unfortunately, it helps indicate my velocity in combat. I'll see how I get on.

Wasn't that an option that someone added later and not an official part of the game?
If it was it's nontheless the way to go. I'm not quite sure since I mostly played Frontier on Amiga back then and played much, much more Frontier on my PC much later when all those modern space games disappointed me. And that was indeed the 3d tweaked version.

1) It's not sound in space, it's your ship's computer simulating sounds for better spatial awareness. Right?

2) It's entirely possible there are multiple layers, cameras, cameras with layers, and whatnot in the Cobra Engine and technically it might be possible to do separate post-processing fx on such entities. I'm not familiar with Cobra but what we do at work (using Unity) is we have one post processing effect for the scene proper and another for the GUI elements, which for VR users are actual surfaces in the scene (because a head-locked HUD overlay in VR is just wrong ). Earlier we had only one global post proc, and in some 'dreamy' scenes the slight bloom (I know, I know, it's not 2006, but subtle bloom can actually look nice) just made the GUI look all "fuzzy". So we split it.
The thing with Elite is that most of the GUI elements that the user interacts with are actually integrated into the scene - what is more, they're self-emitting and semi-transparent! I just can't see how that could work in a satisfactory way.

P.S "There was a fish... in the percolator!" :)

Last edited:
I am definitely with the OP on this one. Most sci-fi has kind just rolled with sound in space thing so I am not really bothered by it in Elite. Having the galaxy itself turn, orange, red, blue, or some other variation due to the star in the system is incredibly jarring. This is a space simulation after all. Sure there are some things that aren't just right but tinting whole galactic skybox is way too far in my opinion.
There's way too much sound in this game. It's not like real space, and It's jarring. I'd like all the non-cockpit sounds removed from the game entirely, so It's more realistic.

Top Bottom