Atmospheres missing!

I am playing In Odyssey, but I have Horizons graphics.

I am currently on a planet that should have an atmosphere.
This is the view from my left window.
As you can see, no atmosphere:-

Screenshot_0000.png

However, when I select System Map, and quickly look out of my window again, the view changes to this:-

Screenshot_0001.png

I play in VR, but this happens both in VR and normal mode.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on??!!

Last edited:
changing my answer by the look of the screenshots 1 is horizons the other is odyssey , its subtle but the terrain is a different color , also theres this strange black square the planet info on the odyssey screenshot , also the color of the lighting is different , horizon always had that cool blue look to ships inside

Last edited:
Yea it looks that way.
But both screenshots were taken in Odyssey.
The strange black square you’re referring to is the system map I just brought up…

Yea it looks that way.
The strange black square you’re referring to is the system map I just brought up…
if thats really true then , somehow you have activated horizons and odyssey at the same time , because if you look at the terrain thats horizons , lighting , thats horizons , if true that means that horizons is running always in the background of odyssey , just out of interest could you take a look at the fps by push CTRL and the f key at the same time to see if your fps is any better ?
otherwise sorry I dont know whats going , could also be that your surface scanner is still running even though you are not in supercruise so you could try switching to combat mode

Yea it looks that way.
sorry for the double post but do you have any idea how you managed to do this ? like what steps did you do to make this happen , id be interested to know because if its reproducible and this is really going on , you might've just struck gold , and figured out odyssey's performance issues , horizons and odyssey running overlapped , explains alot

I haven’t done anything - just played the game. I took off and checked in space, and there’s no planet atmosphere from space either. Checked a couple of planets and it’s the same.

It certainly looks like Horizons graphics I can see that even when I’m flying. Even when I’m in space and I select the system map, it briefly changes to Odyssey graphics before the system map comes up. But when I come out of the system map, it’s back to Horizons graphics again.

I’ve logged a ticket but have turned the pc off now - it’s 2am over here…

Last edited:
Here you go, I've recorded it in game and added it to YouTube:-
Source: https://youtu.be/NQxqp7kQjOM

What the heck is going on???

If I was to hazard a guess, there's some sort of artifacting going on judging by the look of the ground in Odyssey mode, I've never seen it look like that myself, I would be seriously checking things like GPU temps and etc, maybe there's some sort of fallback happening due to a rendering fail in the GPU.

Yeah could be. The ground looks terrible doesn’t it - like a jigsaw puzzle.
Also, if you look at the planet’s horizon, it looks like there is an atmosphere, but it’s jet black.
I’m currently downloading my graphics driver again, so that when ED starts up it will re-configure the graphics and shaders at start up. Let’s see if that helps…

Yeah could be. The ground looks terrible doesn’t it - like a jigsaw puzzle.
Also, if you look at the planet’s horizon, it looks like there is an atmosphere, but it’s jet black.
I’m currently downloading my graphics driver again, so that when ED starts up it will re-configure the graphics and shaders at start up. Let’s see if that helps…

You can turn that off and on in the graphics settings menu, no need to download drivers again! I believe you can also delete the shader.xml file and make it rebuild, but check that out further before doing it, I may be wrong.

The behaviour seems to be similar to this one:

Basically some glitching between two graphics settings. Although in this case it seems to be on the more extreme side.
Don’t know if the culprit was found though.

The behaviour seems to be similar to this one:

Basically some glitching between two graphics settings. Although in this case it seems to be on the more extreme side.
Don’t know if the culprit was found though.

Interesting thread, but nothing on there to solve my issue unfortunately

So... I have updated my graphics driver, restarted my PC, and it's still the same.
Interestingly when I go in to my graphics settings, there's a red flag (on the right of this pic), but it doesn't give me any info on what it might be...

Graphics settings.png

Interesting thread, but nothing on there to solve my issue unfortunately

So... I have updated my graphics driver, restarted my PC, and it's still the same.
Interestingly when I go in to my graphics settings, there's a red flag (on the right of this pic), but it doesn't give me any info on what it might be...

View attachment 306475
I'm not familiar with the icon, but you might need to expand "Display" to see which option in particular is being flagged.

Yeah tried that. As soon as I click on anything the red flag vanishes and doesn’t appear again, even when I go through every option.
It’s not like Elite to provide such useless information, I mean the game is very helpful in understanding what to do.. oh hang on… 🤣

Yeah tried that. As soon as I click on anything the red flag vanishes and doesn’t appear again, even when I go through every option.
It’s not like Elite to provide such useless information, I mean the game is very helpful in understanding what to do.. oh hang on… 🤣
so true lol , try deleting your graphics folder , where your binds are located , also in your odyssey folder , theres a file called gpuworktable delete that as well , see if a reload fixes it , make backups of all these files see if it helps.

Top Bottom