Atmospheric Planet Thread [week 7]: how it may affect everyone's gameplay

This week I'm the one starting an Atmospheric Planet Thread!

This is about why landing on atmospheric planets can be a game changer (and not an eye candy feature only) and how it may affect all the main game activities in general:

STORY CONTENT:
Civilizations don't develop on airless planet!
Guardians: FDEV would be able to develop new story content on the planets where the Guardians actually lived and developed their technology.
Thargoids: we already have modules to protect the ship from caustic damage. Let's make them more useful by protecting the ships when we want to explore an ammonia world. This would allow Frontier to develop new story contents for Thargoids.
Further Civilizations not introduced yet. Same as above. Possibility to access to their home world.
Here there are also big contents for Space Legs. Instead of exploring alien sites with SRV we could have temples, caves, building to be explored and scanned by feet where antiques are not 1 ton bricks but small object to carry in the backpack (Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider style)

POWER PLAY/RANKING:
Once you reach the higher ranks of pilot federation you would receive limited access to the capital worlds where you can accept 1-2 very sensitive missions (per power cycle) directly from the Leader/Royal families. This would also make the ranking system more consistent giving some feedback to the CMDR's at higher ranks.

NEW COMMUNITY GOALS:
Supply resources, POI scans, material analysis to complete the terraformable process of a planet. Immagine how cool it would be to see the very same planet before and after the terraformation.

MISSION SYSTEMS:
Considering that the mission system will not drastically change in the future, we could at least have more varied locations and different scopes: bring tourists to a water world resort. Bring supplies to scientist working in labs in dense atmospheric world and other missions in Star Trek (classic series) style. This would allow us to see different places instead of the same touristic beacons and the same coriolis starports.

PVP/COMBAT:
Fighting in atmospheric planets would be more immersive and challenging, hiding in the clouds/fog of planets with thick atmosphere, fighting in turbolence where gimballed weapons are less effective and you have to maneuver the ship to compensate the winds gusts that could also affect the missiles trajectory. We already have a turoblence model (white dwarf jetcone) and gusts effects (explosions in damaged starport). These models just need to be a bit refined for the gamplay. Weapons may react to the atmospheric composition making some more and others less effective.

TRADE:
This proposal would not change the gameplay but add more immersion: you buy food commodities from an agricultural world and sell it to an industrial world. The first planet is very green with huge fields of crop, a lot of lakes and rivers, blue skies and white clouds. The second planet is foggy with grey/green clouds and smoke coming out of the factories. You only see buildings up to the horizon.
These effects would make your experience more realistic because you are aware of the reality around you. When you do the same trading between two space stations you do not realize the background. It would give a higher sense of accomplishment reducing the monotony/grindy effect of doing a repetitive action. Someone may claim that once you've seen it all it would be boring anyway. Yes and No. If you like trading you trade anyway and this would provide more immersion to your gameplay. If you don't like trading and you need to do it for short time because you need the money for your rebuys, it will be a nicer experience anyway.

Last but not least, EXPLORATION:
Visit new worlds with colorful horizons, collect atmospheric gas with the ship and biological samples with the SRV to increase exploration data values.
Forests to be explored with the SRV to find ancient ruins from old civilizations now extinct.
New Explorer SRV: no weapons and more cargo space and tools for collecting samples and dedicated modules to scan and analyze the biology and geology. Or a smaller version with same cargo space but more agile.
Submarine SRV to collect data in the water worlds such depth, temperature and pressure of the sea floor (you would need to reach the sea floor and use a scanner to collect the data). It would be a challenging experience to avoid rocky formations and passing through canyon with strong submarine currents, or get lost in caves. Collect biological samples, analyze composition of the oceans.
When you find very cool planets with particular features you generate your own beacon to share with the community. Every CMDR that visits your beacons generates a reward in terms of credits letting you gain money with your exploration discoveries, other than the universal cartography data.
Later with life on planets: scan and analyze species on planets. When you've enough information to define the food chain and the ecosystem you get a special reward.

Last edited:
Exploring some of the ancient ruins on foot as well if space legs becomes a thing.

But yes all very good ideas, but a hell of a lot of work for FDev to do. I can't see it all coming in one expansion.

Last edited:
Exploring some of the ancient ruins on foot as well if space legs becomes a thing.

But yes all very good ideas, but a hell of a lot of work for FDev to do. I can't see it all coming in one expansion.

I agree, this might be the vision of the game at the end of the full development.
Some of these may be released each as a single DLC (the exploration content for example).

Last edited:
Imagine landing in a storm with your T-9 and have to fight against the buffeting gales hitting your brickodynamics and having to do that by hand because the autopilot is disabled due to then unstable and unpredictable weather conditions.
Then manage to land and be happy about the threat level bonus you receive from your delivery mission that calculated the planetary environment into the rewards.

But all I really want is to go fishing on Merlin.

There are some good ideas here, so I don't want to sound like an (atmospheric) cloud of misery but I don't think FD lack for ideas.

Its the work required to deliver this to the level of fidelity that is required that is the issue. There are decades of effort in this list, and whilst I'd love to play your version of ED I'm not sure whether it's realistic.

Aps.

I’m all for it as well, but I think the gun has been jumped here like an Olympic pole-vault.

If we see anything, I think the first thing we’ll see will be flight operations within the layers of gas giants. There’s quite a bit of work here alone - wind speeds, storms, discharges, atmospheric pressures, friction, visibility - just to name a few.

Add to this quite a number of game play mechanics - Combat, Gas Mining, encounters with life forms beyond the microbial level, search and rescue operations, and you’ve work and material for a X.0 release.

X.1 could then consist of lifeless atmospheric worlds, and take in to consideration factors like: corrosive environments, environmental hazards such as lava or water. Can we land in a body of water? Do spaceships sink or float? Can we submerge? Can we have a subaquatic SRV-type craft?

X.2 can delve into Water Worlds and other non-Earthlike worlds, where we might be able to find and interact with various forms of complex life - be it to study them or hang their stuffed heads on our bulkheads.

X.4 leaves us Earth-like worlds, from the prehistoric to the post-modern all the way to Raxxla. This could also include developed, ammonia world full of Thargoid hives, nests, and all those poor unfortunate pilots who had their escape pods harvested so their bodies could be used as hosts for Thargoid larvae.

Note my used of “X.#” - I don’t expect any of this in the next update. Not boarding that hype-train before it’s even reached the station.

At first, the beautiful landscapes.

Then the real weather conditions.

Then the human and animal life.

And little by little, the gameplay development.

Will my life be long enough ?

:)

I agree with your priority list.

But from what I've heard from the FDEV interviews they have a difference order:
Landscape and gameplay will come together. I remember Sandro saying that atmospheric planets will only come with new gameplay associated, not just landing and stare at the sky. So it will come as a major update.
Biological life was also suggested by David together with atmospheric planet, but it's not clear what that is... For example we already have biological life on airless planets and in space so this may not refer to interaction with animals or sentience life.

I agree with your priority list.

But from what I've heard from the FDEV interviews they have a difference order:
Landscape and gameplay will come together. I remember Sandro saying that atmospheric planets will only come with new gameplay associated, not just landing and stare at the sky. So it will come as a major update.
Biological life was also suggested by David together with atmospheric planet, but it's not clear what that is... For example we already have biological life on airless planets and in space so this may not refer to interaction with animals or sentience life.

God Braben hear you !

;)

X.1 could then consist of lifeless atmospheric worlds, and take in to consideration factors like: corrosive environments, environmental hazards such as lava or water. Can we land in a body of water? Do spaceships sink or float? Can we submerge? Can we have a subaquatic SRV-type craft?
Yes, FDEV, add Subnautica to ED, please!

X.2 can delve into Water Worlds and other non-Earthlike worlds, where we might be able to find and interact with various forms of complex life - be it to study them or hang their stuffed heads on our bulkheads.
Yes, FDEV, add NMS to ED, please!

X.4 leaves us Earth-like worlds, from the prehistoric to the post-modern all the way to Raxxla. This could also include developed, ammonia world full of Thargoid hives, nests, and all those poor unfortunate pilots who had their escape pods harvested so their bodies could be used as hosts for Thargoid larvae.
Yes, FDEV, add SC to ED, please!

You do see that it's not really possible, don't you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom