Attack on Penal Colony BV 2259 (SRV vs. Thargoid)

Rep for one of the truly amazing posts of the year ! I hope you have it referenced in Alec's Best of the Forum. At the very least, it should be in "Trending" :)

Rep for one of the truly amazing posts of the year ! I hope you have it referenced in Alec's Best of the Forum. At the very least, it should be in "Trending" :)

Cheers dude! :D

And yes, I had the cheek to bung this nonsense in the "Epic tales of derring do" section after Paul Crowther described it as "epic".

How is this penal colony normally found?

It doesn't show up as a settlement so is it found by clues somewhere giving the co-ordinates?

I'm there now by looking at Alec's SRV video and getting the co-ordinates, it's a creepy looking place in the dark.

ZNLwgBD.jpg

Last edited:

It doesn't show up as a settlement so is it found by clues somewhere giving the co-ordinates?

I'm there now by looking at Alec's SRV video and getting the co-ordinates, it's a creepy looking place in the dark.
That’s proper scooby doo right there !

Flimley

I originally heard about it (along with a whole load of other attacked planetary settlements) via a post in the alien mystery discussion thread which in turn was re-quoting the list from reddit I believe. Cannon also now have most of them listed on their own site and I maintain a list of all of these sort of settlements, installations, etc over here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-game-assets?p=4723412&viewfull=1#post4723412

As to how these settlements were all originally found (and so quickly), I'm not sure. I think they were possibly signposted via listening posts.

Have to say that scene - penal colony with Thargoid - looks very cinematic. I will make a guess those colonies aren't just something pulled out of hat, their placement makes sense.

Ouch!

After a nice wander around this place I got the defence turrets to fire on the Thargoid ship.

Then I thought I'd sit it out in my little Cobra III parked a little way outside.

No chance, those turrets are (as Alec said) indiscriminate in who they are firing on and my ship got blown to bits.

Last edited:
Ouch!

After a nice wander around this place I got the defence turrets to fire on the Thargoid ship.

Then I thought I'd sit it out in my little Cobra III parked a little way outside.

No chance, those turrets are (as Alec said) indiscriminate in who they are firing on and my ship got blew to bits.

Yup - you need to give those turrets a WIDE birth once they're back on-line.

Sorry for your loss!

Last edited:
This is the same penal colony which was attacked by humans according to the messages right? I wonder if the Thargoid was attempting a rescue before Alec turned the guns back on. :D

Last edited:
CMDR Alec Turner driving on a Thargoid tribute:
[video=youtube;IguzgGx7y-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IguzgGx7y-8[/video]

Rep! O7

Last edited:
I took a trip out there myself. I did not see any Thargoids, but I had a peaceful examination of everything. It's quite a sad story, there.

Here's my (waaay less exciting) trip, if you happen to be bored at work :)

[video=youtube;qZwdYtdhJxE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwdYtdhJxE[/video]

This is brilliant stuff. Can't believe it's taken me this long to notice it!

Thank god I say. I (genuinely) spent the entire period after day #1 convinced you were going to nip over there and beat me to it! [haha]

I'd still love to see someone do an Evel Knievel jump off the top of one of the nearby plateaus and land on its back tho! (I just couldn't ever quite get enough altitude off the jump but I'm damn certain that it's possible). hint hint

Well, I am there right now.
Thargoid will show up if You are in the ship.
It will not show up if You are in SRV and ship is dismissed.
Lost 3 SRVs while activating defense and lost 4 ships trying to take a sample. Still counting... I love this game, this is epic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom