Attack on Penal Colony BV 2259 (SRV vs. Thargoid)

Excellent little story Alec :cool:
Lol at landing your SRV on the interceptor! :D, & yes to SRV engineering!
Btw that's some altitude you gain with your 1st ship assisted SRV launch!!

Last edited:
Captains log
Date: 05.07.3304
Location: Penal Colony BV 2259, planet AB 1 A in the HIP 16217 system
Time: early

I arrive at the Penal Colony at around 4:30am to discover a disturbing scene, it seems they have unexpected company!

I couldn't help but read this whole thing in the voice of Picard. :/

"Captain's log, star date 0507-3304. We've arrived at the planet AB 1 in the HIP 16217 system to a disturbing sight. The Thargoids, our most lethal enemy, have begun an attack on the Fed..er.. penal colony BV-2259..."

EDIT: I also utterly hate the fact that a) this thread is from July and b) that it's been resurrected at least three times.

Last edited:
So what? Why does it matter it's a few months old?? :S
I didn't even bother looking to see if it had been resurrected, because it doesn't matter! It ain't old!

PS Nothing wrong with Piccard's voice ;)

Last edited:
I couldn't help but read this whole thing in the voice of Picard. :/

"Captain's log, star date 0507-3304. We've arrived at the planet AB 1 in the HIP 16217 system to a disturbing sight. The Thargoids, our most lethal enemy, have begun an attack on the Fed..er.. penal colony BV-2259..."

EDIT: I also utterly hate the fact that a) this thread is from July and b) that it's been resurrected at least three times.
Utterly hate? Seems a strong reaction to someone discovering a thread they missed the first (or even second) time around. You must be absolutely apoplectic at the 8th, 9th or maybe even 10th resurrection of Macedonica's "End of the road" thread. (not that I'm comparing this tomfoolery to that epic rescue) :)

Last edited:
Addendum: Thargoids are using wall-hack.

I was there hiding behind the hill, cca 3km from facility. Lifting up to launch the probe then hide myself down again behind the hill. As soon as the probe started to extract the sample, Thargoid was going straight on me. Lost many Kraits, but it was fun.

Utterly hate? Seems a strong reaction to someone discovering a thread they missed the first (or even second) time around. You must be absolutely apoplectic at the 8th, 9th or maybe even 10th resurrection of Macedonica's "End of the road" thread. (not that I'm comparing this tomfoolery to that epic rescue) :)

Nah, it doesn't actually bother me.. was using a bit of tongue in cheek, playing off the rather-common internet trope that necro's are bad. :p
EDIT: It does slightly bother me that I'm only reading about this damn thread now though. [haha]

zKBtpnR.png

necropost.jpg

Last edited:
This was absolutely epic! Congrats on being what I think is the first (and only?) commander to Ride a Thargoid!

Some more questions though...

I know it appears that the Tharg can't be destroyed by the defense system. But was it actually attacking the Penal Colony? I don't see it send out a swarm or missiles or lightning or anything. Looks like it's just scanning and curious about the colony? Please correct me if I am missing something obvious (I am not familiar with Thargoid combat or their attacks).

Bloody fantastic thread all around. If there's a "Top Threads of 2018" contest (similar to your Best-Of-The-Forum) this would get my vote. :D

I originally heard about it (along with a whole load of other attacked planetary settlements) via a post in the alien mystery discussion thread which in turn was re-quoting the list from reddit I believe. Cannon also now have most of them listed on their own site and I maintain a list of all of these sort of settlements, installations, etc over here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-game-assets?p=4723412&viewfull=1#post4723412

As to how these settlements were all originally found (and so quickly), I'm not sure. I think they were possibly signposted via listening posts.

Yes there are listening posts pointing them out somewhere in the Pleiades (I think). This is how I found them because I refuse to play Elite as a wiki game.

This was absolutely epic! Congrats on being what I think is the first (and only?) commander to Ride a Thargoid!

I know it appears that the Tharg can't be destroyed by the defense system. But was it actually attacking the Penal Colony? I don't see it send out a swarm or missiles or lightning or anything. Looks like it's just scanning and curious about the colony? Please correct me if I am missing something obvious (I am not familiar with Thargoid combat or their attacks).

Bloody fantastic thread all around. If there's a "Top Threads of 2018" contest (similar to your Best-Of-The-Forum) this would get my vote. :D
Thanks, really enjoyed doing this.

Re: the attack - although I like to preserve the roleplay a bit, in truth although the Thargoid does eventually fire on the base (once you've turned on the defences and had the base fire at the Thargoid) it doesn't actually attack it initially, but only scans it as you say. There are voice logs at the colony which tell its story ... if I remember correctly the idea is that it's already been attacked and has now gone cold after its generators were shut down.

P.S. if you enjoyed this then you might also like my "getting an SLF inside a Thargoid base" story. I'll see if I can find the link for you later.

o7

Another wicked story! :D. I would've replied there but the thread's been locked :( (their seems to be a lot of the slightly older threads being locked now.....).

Me too :).

Last edited:
Top Bottom