Audible Center Detent for Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS...

Hello, I hope this is as helpful for someone else as it has been for me.

I am a very new Elite Dangerous player, and like many, I grabbed myself a Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS set, and went about configuring it. I had done my research, so I knew that it lacked a throttle axis center detent, but since there were ideas for how to work around it out there, I figured I’d be safe.

After receiving it, I quickly noticed that the detent was sorely needed. I knew that I didn’t want to use a single direction throttle and a reverse button, so I needed a solution. I tried the Velcro method that I had seen out there and set up a center dead zone of 15 to work with it. This worked somewhat for me, although it is very subtle. I am not the most dexterous player in space, so I tend to miss it, if anything… exciting is going on. I was (am) pretty sure that one of the two magnet methods I had seen would work great, but I really wanted to just get playing the game, not mess around trying to get magnets all lined up in the proper positions and such. In an inspired moment I realized that if I could produce a quick beep when the stick hit the center position, that should give me a workable solution. So here is what I did…

First, I created an AutoHotKey script (below) that produces a short beep when a certain ([R Ctrl] + [R Shift] + F7 in this case) key combination is pressed. (I named mine “ThrottleZeroBeep.ahk”.)
Code:
~>+>^f7::

SoundBeep, 750, 75 ; Play a higher pitch for 75ms.
SoundBeep, 523, 75 ; Play a lower pitch for 75ms.

return

Next, I set up an Axmap1 event (in T.A.R.G.E.T.) on the throttle axis and assigned a key to each of the positions. (I called mine “Throttle Direction”.) Note, we only care about the center key, but you have to define them all. I used a key combination that I was unlikely to use for anything else; in this case the before mentioned ([R Ctrl] + [R Shift] + F7) for the center key, (and F6, F8 with the same modifiers for the Up and Down keys). Don’t forget to set up a center dead zone.

That’s really it. Run the AutoHotKey script, run the T.A.R.G.E.T. profile, and test it out. You should get a nice short two-tone beep whenever the throttle hits your center dead zone. (Note: I did have to turn up the system sounds in my Windows mixer panel, to make it easier to hear the beep if a lot is going on.)

One thing to note is that I did run into an issue where, because I was also using the [R Ctrl] and/or [R Shift] modifiers in other key combinations (Thrustmaster or Elite Dangerous), certain actions (holding the primary trigger for instance) would either prevent the beep from occurring, or the beep would stop the other action. Simply making sure that I didn’t use either of the same modifiers in any other key combinations has solved this issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom