August Exodus - The Ship Builds

As registrations to August Exodus are now open and i decided to take my T-9 to Jaques and do some mining when we reach the station, i noticed that even the mighty T-9 runs short of module compartments if i want to make her as multipurpose as possible.
For any other exploration trip, fitting the cow would be easy, but as we stop by at station where we most likely dont have outfitting, this is a tricky one..

https://coriolis.io/outfit/type_9_h...iCb1vv4P62f2i.Iw18eQ==.Aw18eQ==?bn=Exodus T-9

I want:

- to do some mining
- to drive the SRV on the surfaces
- to fuel rat

Do i need:

- the shields?

Do i have to just forget the fuel ratting, or do i dare to go without shields? Opinions are greatly appreciated. :)

• Like (+1)
Reactions: mls
I wouldn't travel anywhere without shields now. If you're planning on visiting the basecamps along the route to Jaques, it's worth having shields for those landings alone. And don't forget there are NPCs out at Jaques, even heard they spawn in the res sites out there.

Definately take shields ;)

BTW, I'll link this thread to the main expedtion thread :)

True. But with 6D shields its just cosmetics, if someone really attacks me, those paper shields melt down in 2 seconds. :D
More likely i will need them in planetary landings, but if theres not any high gravity base camps, i just might discard them.

But on the other hand, even with paper shields, they bring me mental stability so i just might have them. And i have 2 weeks to go to and mod them.. ;)

ok here is my python build https://goo.gl/s8LOsG im thinking of scrapping the multicannon and go with pulse lasers for basic protection, i figured since limets are useless becuase there's no restock at the station.

Quick look, youre missing both scanners, ADS and DSS. Also, 6A fuel scoop is recommended but that might just do the job also but a bit slower.

True. But with 6D shields its just cosmetics, if someone really attacks me, those paper shields melt down in 2 seconds. :D
More likely i will need them in planetary landings, but if theres not any high gravity base camps, i just might discard them.

But on the other hand, even with paper shields, they bring me mental stability so i just might have them. And i have 2 weeks to go to and mod them.. ;)
Sometimes, two seconds is the difference between getting away or staring at the rebuy screen. I'd say go for it. Also, like you mentioned, you can always mod the shields.
I do have one suggestion though: shield boosters. Your power plant is oversized, so it could easily take them. With four D-rated boosters, you'd still have power to spare, and they'd barely impact your jump range. But your power plant could even afford four A-rated ones with some minor power management, or a low-tier overcharged mod. Still, D-rated ones are the best benefit/mass-wise. Don't forget that you can mod each booster, either getting an even larger shield boost (at the expense of more mass) or improving your resistances (but more power draw). Still, even unmodded, four D-rated boosters will give you a +33% shield strength increase.

Sometimes, two seconds is the difference between getting away or staring at the rebuy screen. I'd say go for it. Also, like you mentioned, you can always mod the shields.
I do have one suggestion though: shield boosters. Your power plant is oversized, so it could easily take them. With four D-rated boosters, you'd still have power to spare, and they'd barely impact your jump range. But your power plant could even afford four A-rated ones with some minor power management, or a low-tier overcharged mod. Still, D-rated ones are the best benefit/mass-wise. Don't forget that you can mod each booster, either getting an even larger shield boost (at the expense of more mass) or improving your resistances (but more power draw). Still, even unmodded, four D-rated boosters will give you a +33% shield strength increase.

Actually, Coriolis isnt very exact what comes to numbers. I built my ship just 2 minutes ago with that Coriolis outfit i put in OP, but my power draw is now exactly 100% and nothing to spare. I dont know what Coriolis is missing though, this isnt the first time this happens.
But yes, i will take that D shield and most likely will mod it if i can.

Two builds suggestions from me, one for a rat-capable AspX that already made it Jaques and is currently returning home via Sagittarius A* and the Great Annihilator:

Jaques AspX

64 tons of cargo space, swap the fuel transfer limpet controller for a SRV hangar if you want to drive around on planets.

Build #2 is a WIP and more than slightly insane:

The Thrusted Whale, Jaques Edition

I am still unsure what kind of thrusters I need to put onto this one in order to land on a planet, especially when it is fully loaded. Almost 2100 tons of gross weight are already difficult to control in space...

Even thin shields will give you a few seconds before your hull starts taking damage - and a few seconds can be an eternity in a fight, particularly if your only goal is to wait out the cooldown and wake out. A t9 with no armor won't last long, not to mention possible accidents in rings since you intend to mine. Unless you intend to combat log on any interdicition attempts, bring shields..

I also think the Anaconda would make a far better long range explorer / hauler / miner, the t9's range leaves a lot to be desired. You might lose a bit of cargo capacity but what you lose there you'll make up in retained sanity :)

I also think the Anaconda would make a far better long range explorer / hauler / miner, the t9's range leaves a lot to be desired. You might lose a bit of cargo capacity but what you lose there you'll make up in retained sanity :)

Theres no question about it. This is something i hear all the time. People always say "take anything instead of T-9".
The way i see it, they are completely two different worlds and far from comparable. With Annie, you dont have to worry a thing, just load it up with goodies and fire away.
With T-9, youll get that very satisfactory feeling and best immersion ever of being a true trader in the deep. Youll have to really worry about interdictions and the fact that if you cant escape, youre dead. The reward when getting that 460 tons of precious cargo to destination is mental, not financial.
I fell in love instantly with my T-9 and now that shes had couple of engineers poking her here and there and giving her a bit more jump range, more maneuverability and stronger shields, shes more than ready to take the tour to Jaques.

What im also trying to say is; people, dont be afraid to try something different instead of taking the usual and safe way. Its Elite: Dangerous, not Elite: Feeling Comfy In My Annie. ;)

My 'conda is similar to the above but optimized for FSD distance and the multi-mission roll:
https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda...4CbP10n2i2fv6.Iw18ZwAza1A=.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Mining
Mods:
FSD L5 Boost - Gives 33.49 LY w/ fully loaded cargo... much more without.
Thruster L3 Clean Drive - Boosts at 300 m/s.
Various Weapon, Shield and power mods.
The Bi-weave 6C shield seems to perform very well against small targets and still gives enough time to escape larger adversaries when necessary. I might even go with a 6D if I needed to save some more weight, but this one will do.
While Limpets may not be available there now... they could become available at some point. So having the controllers along adds to the versatility.
For the Prospector controller, you are only going to be using 1 at a time anyway... so do away with the extra mass.
Same with the Fuel Limpet controller... 1 Ton is enough to keep 'em alive for a bit.

Last edited:
My 'conda is similar to the above but optimized for FSD distance and the multi-mission roll:
https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda...4CbP10n2i2fv6.Iw18ZwAza1A=.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Mining
Mods:
FSD L5 Boost - Gives 33.49 LY w/ fully loaded cargo... much more without.
Thruster L3 Clean Drive - Boosts at 300 m/s.
Various Weapon, Shield and power mods.
The Bi-weave 6C shield seems to perform very well against small targets and still gives enough time to escape larger adversaries when necessary. I might even go with a 6D if I needed to save some more weight, but this one will do.
While Limpets may not be available there now... they could become available at some point. So having the controllers along adds to the versatility.
For the Prospector controller, you are only going to be using 1 at a time anyway... so do away with the extra mass.
Same with the Fuel Limpet controller... 1 Ton is enough to keep 'em alive for a bit.

it sure helps to have the RNG boost...But more collector limpets would be good if they don t have any so far.
Don't forget you cannot reload so bringing MC could be useless at one point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom