Should Elite: Dangerous have player avatars?

• Yes, bring it on.

Votes: 91 71.1%
  • No, it will ruin the game.

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • Whatever, just wake me when the game is finished.

Votes: 16 12.5%

• Total voters
Should Elite: Dangerous include a player avatar that can walk around the ship and enter spaceports etc..?

Last edited:
Here's why I voted no :
I wish people would stop wanting to have an avatar that could wander around your ship or get out of the ship and wander around the spaceport.

Sorry, but to me that just makes it GTA in space.
I like GTA SA, don't get me wrong, but I don't want Elite 4 to be like that.

Elite, FE2, FFE, X-BTF, X-T, X2, X3 Reunion and X3TC (I know the X series was made by Egosoft, but here's my point) were all games where you were the ship. If Elite 4 has an avatar you can walk around your ship and the space ports, then that just takes up data that could be used for a better galaxy, or better effects, or more features, or better multi-player gameplay (and another thing, too many people are assuming "multi-player" means online play. We don't know yet what DB has in store for multi-player.)

So please I beg you all ... no avatar to walk around everywhere ... it's simply not in the spirit of Elite.

Yes most definitely yes.
These games need to evolve past the simply fly between to points and shoot a few ships.I would love to be able to walk through a space station enter a docking bay and fly the ship out of the station.

I think its something that needs to be implemented with some care - I know a fair few people only play for the flying around space aspect and wouldn't want to be forced to spend a lot of time playing in interior spaces just to get past a certain point in the game and back to what they love again.

Personally I'd like to see it - I have an image in my head from the start of mass effect 1 where the cutscene opens near the window looking out into space - being able to do that especially if you can look out and see ships flying about and/or see ships leaving and arriving in the space station would add a lot to the immersion for me just being able to wander around and soak in some of the atmosphere at times.

I have to completely agree with Alien here and say that as soon as you step out of the ship it stops being Elite and becomes something else.

The problem is we've all be fantasizing about Elite for the best part of 20 years and like Duke Nukem Forever that's a hell of a burden to live up too. (Not that I would want people to think Duke is in anywhere near the same league as Elite)

I will be more than happy if we basically get an upgraded FFE with Multiplayer and procedurally generated gaming content to keep things interesting.

Anything else for me is either unnecessary or gravy.

Plus for, lets be generous here, £2000000 that's still quite a lot of game.

Definitly yes for me. As long as i don't have to run out of the ship all time i dock to unload and load.

Yep, agree with this. Leaving the ship should be optional, that way you can still play the game in the classic, carry out you trading/missions via the BBS, as Alien put it "you were the ship" mode :cool:

Logic dictates either option has it's benefits;
Not having an avatar wouldn't be much of an issue if, for instance there was some kind of message / chat function 'on station' to recruit randoms if, for instance, there is a shortage of a particular commodity in a given system you could get a group together to haul with a couple of fighters for protection against pirates. And, of course, conversely a 'black' option to secretly recruit pirates to chase down the former.

Being human, we react strongly to faces and we would have a deeper psycological response to actual avatars. I'm currently playing a game where you meet in a tavern to choose available quests from a list, granted the game itself is very limited as you can only fit 4 people in each 'city' but the concept is not, there is something satisfying about walking up to a notice board, seeing what is available, discussing what everyone would prefer and then making a choice based on what has been democratically decided.

So, I'll be voting 'whatever' as I can see the benefits of both and will be happy as long as there is some kind of message system in operation - there are only going to be so many times I can shout upstairs to my hubby that I want to make a run to Wolf 357 by way of Formalhaut :D

Yes most definitely yes.
These games need to evolve past the simply fly between to points and shoot a few ships.I would love to be able to walk through a space station enter a docking bay and fly the ship out of the station.

See, that's just it. If it's just fly from system to system, arrive at spaceport, do job/sell stuff, leave it wouldn't really have evolved that much from twenty years ago - as far as the basic stuff goes. After all, trading now will probably feel very much like trading from twenty years back.

See, that's just it. If it's just fly from system to system, arrive at spaceport, do job/sell stuff, leave it wouldn't really have evolved that much from twenty years ago - as far as the basic stuff goes. After all, trading now will probably feel very much like trading from twenty years back.

And the difference is?
Arrive at spaceport
Switch to avatar
Get out of ship
Go to terminal / person interact with terminal / person
Trade / accept mission
Go back to ship
Switch to ship "avatar"
Set destination
Leave

Yep ... loads better.
Sorry ... still not convinced

I can see merits to both sides, but for me the Elite series should stick to just the ships.

Admittedly, it would be an ideal addition to include avatars - IF players could actually place ads - say for example, if they've been pirated once too often by another player - stick a bounty on them. That is where it would be most useful. Otherwise, leave them out.

And the difference is?
Arrive at spaceport
Switch to avatar
Get out of ship
Go to terminal / person interact with terminal / person
Trade / accept mission
Go back to ship
Switch to ship "avatar"
Set destination
Leave

Yep ... loads better.
Sorry ... still not convinced

That's a very good point, so I guess it also depends upon what else is in the game that would facilitate an avatar. I do agree that first and foremost this is a space trade / combat game that hopefully has some nice new additions. (Research / Scientific missions & surveys / etc)

At the very least your profile, if visible to other players, should have many options to enable your features to be unique - nothing worse than sat in a Space station and everyone looks the same!

Voting "whatever" for now - need more info on the game to be sure.

Would be nice to be able to see the ship interiors, as a nice distraction unlike your more "evil" detraction. Agree 100% that it shouldn't be a focus to run around outside the space game and do all sorts of whacky stuff!

But chilling in your pimped up "Fer-de-Lance" interior with a drink in the hand, how much damage could that do? A whole lot if you're drifting in space and being shot at. But still... !

---

This is something that for me isn't important enough to justify the cost of developing it to any meaningful level of interaction. It's only worth doing if it was to the point of effectively being a fps as well, where you could jump out of your ship on a planet surface and interact with the environment/other players there as well.

Something for Elite 5 I think.

Street Life

Well, one difference is that you could have planetside missions, like, pick up a passenger who is in danger, can you get them back to your ship and get the hell out before they (and you) are assassinated? Or drive ground cars (or near ground cars) about the place just for the fun of it or to visit special planetside places only accessible this way. Basically, give the starports a real sense that they are alive with their own stories going on.

A bit in Mass Effect II (Shadow Broker Mission) gave a small taste of that. Yes more of that please :smilie:

This is something that for me isn't important enough to justify the cost of developing it to any meaningful level of interaction. It's only worth doing if it was to the point of effectively being a fps as well, where you could jump out of your ship on a planet surface and interact with the environment/other players there as well.

Elite 4 hasn't been green-lit yet and you're thinking of Elite 5? :eek:
Well, one difference is that you could have planetside missions, like, pick up a passenger who is in danger, can you get them back to your ship and get the hell out before they (and you) are assassinated? Or drive ground cars (or near ground cars) about the place just for the fun of it or to visit special planetside places only accessible this way. Basically, give the starports a real sense that they are alive with their own stories going on.

Exactly - the starports really need more life about them. Following on from that, there should be more interaction with your own crew - not Star Trek levels, but more than what was in Frontier.

Last edited:

Or as an addon post Elite-4 ?

like, pick up a passenger who is in danger, can you get them back to your ship and get the hell out before they (and you) are assassinated?

I think that's an interesting idea but I am very fearful of the end product - It would have to be absolutely knock-out addition and I do not know how much experience Frontier have with this type of game or even if their GFX-engine could support such a thing. (No issue with Space Sims)

As per your post on the other forum though if someone like RockStar were to develop this as an addon / companion to Elite 4 then it has the potential to be great but I can't ever see it happening due to business commercials.

Exactly - the starports really need more life about them.

This I would agree with - even if its just as simple as walking about to interact with other players; find missions; buy and trade (as long as it's all available via in-ship menus of course) then I am all for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom