General / Off-Topic Avengers Endgame (May contain Spoilers)

xqq5hbw3aon21.jpg

Midnight screening baby! Something I've never done before, tonight 00:01AM at the Palace, Moving Picture Theatre, Cinderford. $5 entry!

Thanos .. I've got a funny feeling they shall be Avenged!

ps. Trip Advisor says five stars, brilliant prices for entrance, drinks and popcorn. I would never go to Gloucester cinema now.

18,021 entries in Paris, at 2 pm, for the first day.

Third best start of all time in Paris after "Spectre" and "Spider-Man 3".

(y)

And at 3:17AM getting in, what I can say, is that was quite a ride.

edit: mentioning that the place was packed with (lots) of laughing because the MCU does funny really well. Some tears too but let's not get into that. Anyway, the concessions queue was quite long but being the place it is, they always make sure to hold the movie a couple of minutes until everyone has their popcorn. Go ....

Last edited:
Well .... I was right about one thing ....

When I saw that shot Alien, I thought of you ... well, I'd seen the same fan theory at any rate. You wuz right and they wuz wrong!

Agree with Vasco, there was a LOT went on. Thor made my day really and Rocket, again funny as. After Thor reappeared it couldn't go wrong though - as I love The Big Lebowski. Very satsifying, slick story, brilliant cast .. I'd go so far as say a masterpiece of comic book craftsmanship. "And I even liked Captain Marvel!" (I liked her already anyway though, she's just a big gun)

I got a reminder of Spartacus, when Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis fight at the end because each of them don't want to see the other suffer crucifixion, so they try to kill each other? On the cliff, on Vormir.

Plus Black Widow has been awesome for me, every time and ever since Iron Man 2

I got a reminder of Spartacus, when Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis fight at the end because each of them don't want to see the other suffer crucifixion, so they try to kill each other? On the cliff, on Vormir.

Plus Black Widow has been awesome for me, every time and ever since Iron Man 2
I guess that solo movie isn't happening after all then :(

seen it Thursday evening at an Avengers Marathon that screened the Infinity wars and Endgame.
Marvelous indeed from start to finish, but the endcredits scene... bleah

I suppose a lot's up in the air. I think it would have taken the edge off to immediately there and then say, "but don't worry ...". I expect the next phase after Spiderman, in July I think? Normal credit scene service to resume at that point and for Captain America and Iron Man fans, the clanking of Stark's hammer, The Avengers do have a time machine now ...

As for Black Widow's movie, the place where I pick this stuff up (Beyond the Trailer) says production of that is going ahead and there's plenty of in canon times for it to happen, even before the five years later happened. She's also always been an odd character I think, always cool and really likeable but also never said much. A Black Widow movie is much more compelling after Endgame, I think.

I think Endgame just crowned the MCU as cultural phenomenon, decimating the opening weekend box office records; $1.2bn worldwide in first five days, it's $100m more than Infinity War's opening and beats Captain America Civil War's total box office in one weekend. The MCU is rapidly approaching $20bn for the 22 movie series.

Last edited:
Now the world has had time to see the movie .... I'm going to explain one continuity error and one paradox, each will be in a spoiler tag in case you don't want to have your enjoyment spoiled (even if you have already seen the film).

When he came out, five years had passed in the world. Scott said that to him that was about five hours in the Quantum Zone. This explains why he didn't age five years, like the others did.

If that's the case, then why did Janet Van Dyne age thirty years when she came out in Ant Man and the Wasp?
She was in the Quantum Zone while thirty years passed in the world, so for her that would have been thirty hours.

So this is one I've seen mentioned on Youtube.
In Infinity War, Thanos searched for the stones, and once he knew where they all were, he went and got them all, as is the entire plot of Infinity War. Thanos snaps his fingers, and erases half of all life in the universe.

In Endgame, we see five years go by, then the Avengers work out how to travel through time. Fast forward to the end of the movie, and Thanos (from before he got all the stones) manages to get his ship through the Quantum Zone, fights the Avengers and gets killed.

So if Thanos from before he got the stones, gets killed, then the snap never happened and erase half of all life in the universe. If that snap never happened, then no-one was erased. If no-one was erased, there was no need to go back in time to get the stones. If they didn't get the stones, Thanos would not have got through the Quantum Zone to the future (from his point of view), and then would have got the stones (as he does in Infinity War) .... and at this point it goes around in circles. This is the Grandfather paradox, if you go back in time and kill your Grandfather, you are not born, and then can't go back in time and kill your grandfather.

Interesting questions Alien; I think both, in their way, boil down to Time not necessarily being linear because the time travel in Endgame is achieved via the Quantum - as opposed to any other way to achieve time travel.

I don't think we need to worry about spoiler tags, they're on the thread title. Fair warning I think.

The Quantum effect for me means a roll of the dice. If you remember Antman and the Wasp, they had to track Janet Van Dyne down via her message to Scott before the 'probability fields shifted'. Going by your idea they would just have had to look thirty hours from when she got stuck and they would have found her. I tend to think instead that both the time spend in realm (entry vector) AND the exit vector are made random by the Quantum Realm and that would have been the case for Scott, except that he was sent in on purpose, perhaps with an upgraded suit that allowed the X-Con time van to track him and get him back, perhaps by isolating one or both of those vectors. (Even if both vectors aren't random, I think we'd need a third example to know if the relationship between entry and exit vectors is a linear one or if one vector is a square, cube or other power of the other). In the end a rat chose the exit vector but that doesn't necessarily affect the entry vector.

The Thanos question is more a question of dimensions I think. We're used to picturing time as being totally linear, one past affecting one future, the Back to the Future model. But in the sliding door situation, every time you make a decision both choices play out in two different dimensions that are created when the decision is made. I think Endgame uses the sliding doors scenario because the statement is made that you can't change your own past. The Avengers that returned to 2012 had already experienced Thanos' snap in the dimension they came from, that was done and can't be undone. What they ended up doing was shifting into a dimension where they could take the stones and not affect that. So let's say in 50 dimensions out of 100 the time stone was never in the Ancient One's hands. All you need to do is pick one of those dimensions where she had it - but other to your own (1/100 leaving 49 targets) - to leave your own original dimension unaffected?

Last edited:
So this is one I've seen mentioned on Youtube.
In Infinity War, Thanos searched for the stones, and once he knew where they all were, he went and got them all, as is the entire plot of Infinity War. Thanos snaps his fingers, and erases half of all life in the universe.

In Endgame, we see five years go by, then the Avengers work out how to travel through time. Fast forward to the end of the movie, and Thanos (from before he got all the stones) manages to get his ship through the Quantum Zone, fights the Avengers and gets killed.

So if Thanos from before he got the stones, gets killed, then the snap never happened and erase half of all life in the universe. If that snap never happened, then no-one was erased. If no-one was erased, there was no need to go back in time to get the stones. If they didn't get the stones, Thanos would not have got through the Quantum Zone to the future (from his point of view), and then would have got the stones (as he does in Infinity War) .... and at this point it goes around in circles. This is the Grandfather paradox, if you go back in time and kill your Grandfather, you are not born, and then can't go back in time and kill your grandfather.

Answer ...

As they very carefully explained in the film, time travel doesn't work the way classic paradox sci-fi would have us believe ... Back To The Future was wrong man, Back To The Future was wrong! :LOL:

Alas a desperately needed bio break (3hrs is a long time to retain a regular latte) meant I missed the end credits scene (I assume there was one).

a) could someone do me a favour and describe it.
b) did it by any chance explain where Loki buggered off to (or do we already know that, I'm not fully clued up on the MCU films)

Alas a desperately needed bio break (3hrs is a long time to retain a regular latte) meant I missed the end credits scene (I assume there was one).

a) could someone do me a favour and describe it.
b) did it by any chance explain where Loki buggered off to (or do we already know that, I'm not fully clued up on the MCU films)

(a) No end credit scene this time but apparently the sound of Tony's hammer from building his first reactor in the cave could be heard right at the end. Full stop or teaser, you decide.
(b) Loki vanished into another dimension. The streaming service one .. or I like to think .. a dimension where Klau, Ultron, Killmonger and (dammit) Romanov are still a thing.

As a Marvel fan: Absoutley brilliant. I enjoyed every second of it. There was a tinge of sadness knowing it's the last Avengers movie...

Top Bottom