Aviary and aquarium :)

There are hundreds of threads on this already. The former are usually filled with people with incredibly high expectations for habitat animal-style birds in custom-built aviaries arguing with those of us who believe a JWE style aviary would be fine (basically a new kind of small exhibit), and the latter usually start with someone saying "just fish tanks" and end up in a debate about the silly idea of including whales and dolphins in a game about conservation.

What I suspect the bottom line is:

- We will get aviaries, but they will be exhibits. You plop it down, add the animals, the interior auto-fills with suitable scenery, the animals exist on a closed animation loop like the reptiles and amphibians.

- We will probably get some kind of marine pack with pinnipeds and penguins once Frontier works out how to do diving/swimming, and this might possibly include another new exhibit in the form of aquaria.

- We won't get birds that act like the antelope and lions and elephants and so on because there are too many variables in terms of clipping, perching, and so on. Programming and animating these animals would be such a monumental task that it borders on impossible.

- We won't get dolphins or orca and we probably won't get big sharks or anything like that. The former animals rarely if ever appear in actual zoos (SeaWorld and other marine parks don't count, those belong in Planet Coaster more than Planet Zoo), and the latter are proper aquarium animals, not really zoo animals which tend to stick to smaller species like coral reef fish or Amazonian river fish (or African cichlids, Australian rainbowfish, that kind of thing).

NZ Fanatic you are most definitely right. And I’m ok with that I would love fully developed birds but I think it’s a unreal expectation to be honest. Then you’ll here well zt2 has birds which is true but they don’t do anything for the most part! What is worst to have a animal on a loop of behavior or have one that doesn’t fly climb or act like a bird in any real way.

the things that someone else wants and I want in the same time.
1.) Marine World DLC Pack: Submarine tour, new foliage like kelp and coral, tank walls, marine shows, marine park building sets, new animal food like squid, jellyfish, and seaweed, and 9 new animals. 5 main animals: Leatherback sea turtle, Orca, Bottlenose dolphin, California sea lion, Sea otter, and West Indian Manatee. 4 exhibit animals: Lionfish, Giant Pacific Octopus, Common seahorse, and Jellyfish.
2.) Polar Sea DLC Pack: Inuit themed building sets and scenery, new animal enrichment like ice floes, new food for animals like krill, and 7 new animals. 7 animals: Pacific walrus, Narwhal, Beluga, Humpback whale, Antarctic minke whale, Southern elephant seal, and Emperor penguin.
3.) Deep Sea DLC Pack: New animal enrichment like thermal vents, new scenery, and 8 new animals. 4 main animals: Oarfish, Sperm whale, Coelacanth, and Giant squid. 4 exhibit animals: Giant spider crabs, Chambered nautilus, Anglerfish, and Firefly squid.
4.) Sharks & Rays DLC Pack: new food for animals like chum and plankton, new tank walls including a shark tunnel, and 9 new animals. 6 main animals: Manta ray, Hammerhead shark, Whale shark, Spotted eagle ray, Tiger Shark, and Great white shark. 3 exhibit animals: Epaulette shark, Cownose ray, and Bonnethead shark.
5.) Open Sea DLC Pack: Atlantis themed building sets and scenery, and 11 new animals. 6 main animals: Short-finned pilot whale, Green sea turtle, Blue whale, Pacific white-sided dolphin, Gray whale, and Pacific sailfish. 5 exhibit animals: Clownfish, Horseshoe crabs, Leafy seadragon, Blue tang, and Cuttlefish.
This is a very effective list. I trust the Frontier.
A few people may not want some animals in this game, but Frontier, I don't think you will give up thousands of people because of those few people. ;)
just as they are determined to add polar bears to the game, and show that real life zoos are insufficient for polar bears.

Last edited:
Wow Kaan that’s a huge list! They would probably make a new game out of all those my friend. I’d be happy for a overall complete list of wants featuring some animals,objects, and build sets from each requested group. Plus a lot more land animals.

I got this list from my friend. really great list. I like such lists too. When I first saw this list, I felt as if Frontier had explained it, I liked it so much. I really can't finish praising this list. If DLC packages like this list are released, I am ready to take them all, no matter how much they price.
a really well written, thoughtful, logical and full list. like a list written with magic fingers. :)
I hope they fit this list. I want them to comply with this list to a large extent, even if they do not fit exactly.
the best marine DLC packages list I've ever seen. :)

Considering Frontiers' approach regarding enclosure requirements I guess you can pretty much skip any of the mentioned big whale species.
Blue, Grey, Humpback, Sperm or Minkwhale would probably be "Planet One basin per zoo".

Moreover Great White Sharks obviously cannot be held in captivity as all attempts doing so ended within three weeks with the death of the animal and also there is only a handful of Aquariums worldwide which have Whalesharks in their basin.
So except the seals, turtles and manatees I think your list will remain wishful thinking.

Flying would rely on the same mechanics as diving though, so both are equally possible as non-exhibits

Plus frontier has experience with the better version of zoo tycoon Xbox version with birds and looped behavior. Hopefully for penguins and otters tho they’ll find a way to make them regular exhibit animals.

That said, I wouldn't be surprise at all if they opted to take the lazy route and turn them into exhibits.

Considering Frontiers' approach regarding enclosure requirements I guess you can pretty much skip any of the mentioned big whale species.
Blue, Grey, Humpback, Sperm or Minkwhale would probably be "Planet One basin per zoo".

Moreover Great White Sharks obviously cannot be held in captivity as all attempts doing so ended within three weeks with the death of the animal and also there is only a handful of Aquariums worldwide which have Whalesharks in their basin.
So except the seals, turtles and manatees I think your list will remain wishful thinking.
yes great white sharks cannot be kept in captivity. but this is a game. If you say it wouldn't be realistic, I'll tell you something to be not realistic about the game, animals don't attack people, it's not realistic this.
if Frontier adds these animals with great care and they are very careful, in this way they can show the faults of real life aquariums. but no matter how careful they are, people don't care. I saw from the game that real-life zoos are insufficient for polar bears. we saw how big area the polar bears wanted in the game(however, in real life, no zoo has such a large polar bear habitat). however, people rebelled against it and therefore cut their needs by half. So in this game, for example, if we see killer whales and they want very large areas, people probably will not like it.
not to mention giant whales, giant whales a bit of a luxury cravings.
So you know what I mean? In this game we can design huge living spaces that don't exist in real life and are impossible to do. But although some animals want big space in real life, people don't want animals to want too much space in this game. polar bears are examples of this.
I mean, don't worry about these things. whale sharks will in this game. The froniter must have learned it with the polar bears, namely everything doesn't have to be right. for example, the space requirement that polar bears want in the game is currently incorrect. they chose to do the right thing but people reminded them that it was a game. and changed it at the request of the players. I'm talking about reducing the space requirement of polar bears from 12000 square meters to 6000 square meters. so everything can't go on a line. think of whale sharks, for example. say, for example, they want 30000 square meters of water area in the game. But I'm sure people will oppose it. just like polar bears.
I mean, I don't want to bother you, but you have to understand.
For example, whale sharks may want 30000 square meters of water in real life, but the maximum area of water that can be given to them in the game is 10000 square meters. It shouldn't be more than 10000 square meters because people will be very hard and nobody will want to use them. I say again just like polar bears.
I think 10000 square meters water area is quite enough for whale sharks for this game. nobody wants more than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom