Game Discussions Avowed - a new Skyrim, from Obsidian?

I'm conflicted about this.

On one hand, it looks gorgeous.
On the other hand, Obsidian evidently decided to spew one game after another like a gatling gun and neglect the previous ones.
Their one strength used to be "quality over quantity", but lately they've been making games that, although not bad and outright damaging to their reputation, weren't exactly stellar either.

Geralt_Hmm_Banner.jpg

I'm conflicted about this.

On one hand, it looks gorgeous.
On the other hand, Obsidian evidently decided to spew one game after another like a gatling gun and neglect the previous ones.
Their one strength used to be "quality over quantity", but lately they've been making games that, although not bad and outright damaging to their reputation, weren't exactly stellar either.

I am equally worried. I have yet to take a crack at Outer Worlds, waiting for steam release in October.

I am equally worried. I have yet to take a crack at Outer Worlds, waiting for steam release in October.
I played Outer Worlds. It's good, I don't want to slam it for little things I didn't like. It's what happened AFTER that worries me. They should have had 2 DLCs out by now. Or at least a hint on a sequel. There are so many stories within left painfully open and basically the whole thing feels like a first half of an awesome adventure. But they did nothing with the game.
Instead, since the game launched on MSStore, they announced two other games. Don't know if it's the Microsoft pushing them, or they just decided to simply throw out as many random ideas as possible and see what works, instead of focusing on one thing and do it properly like they used to.

Anyway. I don't want to be negative in this thread. And off-topic. The trailer's good, it's promising. It's just... the whole thing worries me a little.

I played Outer Worlds. It's good, I don't want to slam it for little things I didn't like. It's what happened AFTER that worries me. They should have had 2 DLCs out by now. Or at least a hint on a sequel. There are so many stories within left painfully open and basically the whole thing feels like a first half of an awesome adventure. But they did nothing with the game.
Instead, since the game launched on MSStore, they announced two other games. Don't know if it's the Microsoft pushing them, or they just decided to simply throw out as many random ideas as possible and see what works, instead of focusing on one thing and do it properly like they used to.

Anyway. I don't want to be negative in this thread. And off-topic. The trailer's good, it's promising. It's just... the whole thing worries me a little.
I heard theres a yt where someone plays through the whole story in like 20 mins

I agree but 20 mins though is a bit rough. I still think it looks like a cool game but if i were to pursue the story heavily i feel like I'd be let down. I had that problem with FF15. Just working to progress the story i beat the game on day one and felt like I'd been ripped off.

Just have a look at the ED forums. Some people think having to play for more than a week to get anything is some kind of cruel and unusual punishment. No surprise so many games can be finished in 30 mins now.

I agree but 20 mins though is a bit rough. I still think it looks like a cool game but if i were to pursue the story heavily i feel like I'd be let down. I had that problem with FF15. Just working to progress the story i beat the game on day one and felt like I'd been ripped off.
Judging a game just by a speedrun record is a bit unfair, though. Isn't Morrowind speedrun record something like 7 minutes? :LOL:

My point was that i wasnt trying to speed run FF15. I just played it first time ever and beat it the first day. Other final fantasy games took weeks. An accidental speed run shouldnt be possible imo

To be very honest, I dozed off almost immediately, looks incredible generic. Cant see any "hook" that would make me want to pay attention to this title.

My point was that i wasnt trying to speed run FF15. I just played it first time ever and beat it the first day. Other final fantasy games took weeks. An accidental speed run shouldnt be possible imo
True. And Outer World ARE a smaller game. Took me about 25 hours the first time. About 30 when I focused more on side stuff and companions the second time around. That's why I said it feels like a half of a game. But I don't think you can accidentally speedrun it. :D

Deleted member 110222

D
There's one problem with this.

If it's meant to be a competitor to "Skyrim"... And what you actually mean is The Elder Scrolls... Then it doesn't have the thing that actually brings us Tamrielics back every time: 25 years of established setting and lore.

That's not something you can just cook up for commercial competition.

Most of the Elder Scrolls fandom will tell you this: Skyrim gameplay sucked. It really was not great.

But what it added to Tamriel is a different matter.

I read "Obsidian" and clicked immediately.
I'm firmly in the "Look, it's just a trailer" camp, at 57 hype is but a distant memory.
However, Obsidian's track record, as recent as "Outer Worlds", will always trigger my attention when they announce a new game.
I consider them as the last of the great outfits from the past.
Everybody else has long since passed away or fallen from grace (yes, looking at you OtherSide Entertainment aka former Looking Glass).
So, thanks for posting that, i somehow missed it.

Top Bottom