Awful FPS in ground combat in Odyssey, any fix?

Ive noticed more and more that my FPS drops to near non responsive during ground combats, followed by the scarlet krait error after every 2-3 battles. Ive tried lowering graphical settings, turned off vsync, lowered shadows to low and looked up any other tips. i have my system running in max performance mode and its on a ssd as well. any help would be great.

The only thing you can do is wait for FD to fix it, which will probably take a long time or maybe never. Whatever you do, don't think you can solve it with settings or by buying new stuff.

Maybe he should clean the dust out of his router too. Terrible advice, are you trolling? I ask because:
1) You don't even know what his specs are, and
2) Issues are not client-side.

?

1) Yes I dont know his specs.. Should I ask for it? Upgrading hardware will increase performance. (always)
2) How do you know issues are not client-side? As OP left no technical details anywhere.. Should I ask?

I gave Op two options. I see nothing wrong with that.

Lower your resolution and image quality

Alternative are: Upgrade your PC
Yeah dont need to do that, prior to recent updates, the pc ran Odyssey at ultra settings. Upgrading isnt needed.
?

1) Yes I dont know his specs.. Should I ask for it? Upgrading hardware will increase performance. (always)
2) How do you know issues are not client-side? As OP left no technical details anywhere.. Should I ask?

I gave Op two options. I see nothing wrong with that.
i didnt post my specs after seeing others saying they have issues in space ports, whereas mine is strictly planetside battles, but for the sheer info wise, i have an i9 16core processor, max speed of 4.8ghz, 32GB ram, 1TB ssd, rtx 2880 8GB card

Maybe he should clean the dust out of his router too. Terrible advice, are you trolling? I ask because:
1) You don't even know what his specs are, and
2) Issues are not client-side.
issues aren't client side, that you are correct, they are server side. I know this because horizons runs fine as is, as does other non frontier games, ie cyberpunk, RDR, GTA V, COD to name a few. I merely asked the question above to see if others have similar issues on land battles and of they found a setting or anything to help better stabilize the FPS.

issues aren't client side, that you are correct, they are server side. I know this because horizons runs fine as is, as does other non frontier games, ie cyberpunk, RDR, GTA V, COD to name a few.
That is not how you determine whether issues are 'server side' or not. Just because other games run well doesnt mean EDO cant have client issues.
I merely asked the question above to see if others have similar issues on land battles and of they found a setting or anything to help better stabilize the FPS.
Yes, FPS issues (especially in settlements and CZs) is one of the the biggest issues with EDO. Not much you can do about it but wait for it to be fixed. Performance is mostly linked to resolution, so lowering it (or using FSR) will give the biggest gains. And the biggest impact on visual quality.

That is not how you determine whether issues are 'server side' or not. Just because other games run well doesn't mean EDO cant have client issues.

Yes, FPS issues (especially in settlements and CZs) is one of the the biggest issues with EDO. Not much you can do about it but wait for it to be fixed. Performance is mostly linked to resolution, so lowering it (or using FSR) will give the biggest gains. And the biggest impact on visual quality.
actually you can tell if its client side vs server side. if it was MY side, the issues of staying consistently connected to the server of a game would be noticeable by other games that need similar connection i.e. warzone. seeing I get the game crash of scarlet krait, means I'm not getting the information back from frontier, albeit no game connection is or will ever be perfect, the issues lie within frontier. as I mentioned in above posts, this was merely asking if others had or seen similar issues when planet side and if they found a way settings wise to remotely stabilize the fps until (hopefully) it gets addressed. This thread is not about TRYING to prove who is right or wrong, nor debate over useless tidbits. If someone has feedback that could help, great! if not, well there's really zero point in posting. I do appreciate the feedback or help in the matter.

(I'm not saying this is about anyone on the thread, just as a friendly reminder to those who think about posting trollish ideas)

actually you can tell if its client side vs server side. if it was MY side, the issues of staying consistently connected to the server of a game would be noticeable by other games that need similar connection i.e. warzone. seeing I get the game crash of scarlet krait, means I'm not getting the information back from frontier, albeit no game connection is or will ever be perfect, the issues lie within frontier. as I mentioned in above posts, this was merely asking if others had or seen similar issues when planet side and if they found a way settings wise to remotely stabilize the fps until (hopefully) it gets addressed. This thread is not about TRYING to prove who is right or wrong, nor debate over useless tidbits. If someone has feedback that could help, great! if not, well there's really zero point in posting. I do appreciate the feedback or help in the matter.

(I'm not saying this is about anyone on the thread, just as a friendly reminder to those who think about posting trollish ideas)
Sigh

That is not what client vs server side means. It is not how you can tell. It is not server side. There is little you can do to improve fps. You need to wait for a patch. Of the client. Because it's an issue with the client.

Not aimed at you, as you don't want to hear about "useless tidbits". Just pointing out to other readers pretty much everything you said is factually false.

Meanwhile, as I and others said you can lower your res to improve fps and wait for a patch.

Sigh

That is not what client vs server side means. It is not how you can tell. It is not server side. There is little you can do to improve fps. You need to wait for a patch. Of the client. Because it's an issue with the client.

Not aimed at you, as you don't want to hear about "useless tidbits". Just pointing out to other readers pretty much everything you said is factually false.

Meanwhile, as I and others said you can lower your res to improve fps and wait for a patch.
Drew Wager did a load of tests during a recent livestream. He asked what could be done to improve his frame rates and people made all sorts of suggestions. He lowered resolution to the point that the visuals were horrible and tried all the graphics settings suggested, but nothing made any significant difference to the frame rate.

I have an i9 with a 3090 graphics card. In some places the game is unplayable. At some settlements you exit the ship and get long pauses with zero fps, then after a minute or so of 1 fps, it settles down to a playable level. Other settlements are fine, so it's clearly something on FD's side

Other settlements are fine, so it's clearly something on FD's side
I'll explain again. Server vs client side does not mean FD's fault versus your pc's fault. I know what issues exist, and they are by and large not caused by anything with the FD servers. They are issues in the client. The client is the app on your pc. Made by FD. So the issue is client side, and its up to FD to fix it.

Btw, if there is no FPS difference between 720p at 0.5x and 4k at 2x there is something fundamentally messed up with your computer. Just load the game, let it stabilize, write down the FPS. Log to menu, change the settings there and log back in to see the difference. If it is 'not significant' it is not just an issue with the client, never mind the server.

I have an i9 with a 3090 graphics card. In some places the game is unplayable. At some settlements you exit the ship and get long pauses with zero fps, then after a minute or so of 1 fps, it settles down to a playable level. Other settlements are fine, so it's clearly something on FD's side
I have an old gtx 980 and my experience mirrors yours phol metulugic barnards star or something was where I was last at...……………..
tends to be on the outer edge's of the settlement but recovers a little when well inside the complex
were as on other settlements it can be relatively playable if not a large settlement I find

I'll explain again. Server vs client side does not mean FD's fault versus your pc's fault. I know what issues exist, and they are by and large not caused by anything with the FD servers. They are issues in the client. The client is the app on your pc. Made by FD. So the issue is client side, and its up to FD to fix it.

Btw, if there is no FPS difference between 720p at 0.5x and 4k at 2x there is something fundamentally messed up with your computer. Just load the game, let it stabilize, write down the FPS. Log to menu, change the settings there and log back in to see the difference. If it is 'not significant' it is not just an issue with the client, never mind the server.
I don't mean that it's n FD servers when I say its on their side. I mean that it's only them that can fix it by changing the code that you download to your PC, i.e. they are responsible for the cause.

The problems that we experience are 100% repeatable and reproducible, regardless of logging, type of PC, time of play and locations of players. The problems are at particular settlements. Some are always fine, others are always bad. Why do you think that is? As I said, we all have relatively high end Pcs and fast and reliable internet. I personally have no problems like this with other games.

I have an old gtx 980 and my experience mirrors yours phol metulugic barnards star or something was where I was last at...……………..
tends to be on the outer edge's of the settlement but recovers a little when well inside the complex
were as on other settlements it can be relatively playable if not a large settlement I find
Thank you. It seems that at least one other guy actually plays the game. We're thinking that the graphics and CPU can easily deal with the graphics, but the game is pausing and stuttering when some code is cataloguing what's in the base or something like that. It's very similar, though in reverse, to what happens in RES, where the longer you stay, the slower the game becomes until it becomes unplayable.

Crashed out of the game flying over a ground combat zone a couple of days ago. Odd since until then I had no issues with frame rates.
My computer is not a wimp.
i9 processor @ 3.6 Ghz
64GB Ram
2080 TI graphics card
Windows 10 pro
All drives are solid state.

I don't mean that it's n FD servers when I say its on their side. I mean that it's only them that can fix it by changing the code that you download to your PC, i.e. they are responsible for the cause.

The problems that we experience are 100% repeatable and reproducible, regardless of logging, type of PC, time of play and locations of players. The problems are at particular settlements. Some are always fine, others are always bad. Why do you think that is? As I said, we all have relatively high end Pcs and fast and reliable internet. I personally have no problems like this with other games.
I think it's because of problems with the AI. FD thinks so too. :p

Greetings CMDRs,

the fact that problems are at particular settlements and not at others seems to point out that something differs in the complexity of the scene the CPU and GPU have to render, can be number of polygons and culling to calculate, can be amount of textures and lighting to be applied to the objects, or both.

I noted certain settlements have buildings that seem more ‘elaborate’ than others, while others are more complex with higher buildings variety, these environments may require more computational and rendering cycles than others hence causing the frame rate to drop more in those locations.

Also, when we are on the border of a settlement looking towards it, the scene viewed contains more building/objects than when we are inside it because obviously some will be behind us or on the sides so not visible, hence less calculations are needed.

It can also be possible that some buildings have been more optimized than others (less polygons and texture required to render them still being nice looking) possibly because created by different, more skilled modeling people.

As for the pause when exiting the spaceship, I think the settlement seen from the ship as 3D model is less complex than the same settlement seen when on foot (because we can move much closer) hence I think the pause time is needed by the game engine to load into video memory the new geometry information and textures.

If to a scene we add moving characters (AI soldiers, scavengers, etc) I bet the amount of calculations required for the rendering increases a lot (3D models of humans are much more complex by the buildings). This could be prevented with a clever variation of level of details with distance.

These behaviours are very similar with that of flight simulator games that I am playing since a long time, for example a pause for scenery loading when approaching a dense urban scenery after a flight over bush or simpler landscape, or stuttering during steep turns when the lateral scenery comes quickly into view.

Hope this speculation makes some sense…

o7

Last edited:
Top Bottom